Hey Pit.

So I've been trying to get a job for a while now, I've applied to over half a dozen places but I haven't been accepted for anything. I'm 17, my grades are fine and it's not like I'm applying to be a nuclear physician, so I really want to know why I can't get a job.

I have no previous work experience, but how can you blame me if nobody will hire me to start with?! I think maybe that is what's stopping me, but if so then how do I get out of this hole?

Any help is appreciated in advance. Thanks.
well, the problem with people your age is that you're usally not flexible, schedulewise, you're obviously not fully dedicated to the job, because school obviously comes first, you have no work experience, you have no work skills, and no training of any kind.

it's really hard to find jobs that way.

what kind of jobs have you applied for?
**** someone who will give the job ... yes, you may have to turn gay for a night
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
if the US is anything like the UK its well hard to get a job for any1 our age!
I got a job as an advisor for a multi-million dollar company back in September. I'm 17.
=)
EDIT: I got fired yesterday because I never actually did anything. Although 15$/hr +25% commission never hurt.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
Last edited by Froboarder at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by randomhero93
and this economy is terrible... people are gettin laid off every two minutes.

Fair enough, although up here in Canada it's not as bad, and what we DO have affects mostly the full-time workers.

what kind of jobs have you applied for?

Well I've applied to grocery stores, Wendy's, Staples, and Wal-Mart. All minimum wage, all part time, and I have stated that I am flexible anyday of the week from after school until 10 or 11 that night.
Well 2million people are unemployed in the Uk and i'm sure there are similar stories elsewhere so you may not have much luck finding a job at this time.
it took me like half a year to land my first job at 18, i didnt need to work before, but because i had no previous work experience i had to make **** up and lie on my resume, and have fake reference for the employer to work, otherwise I would have never gotten a job.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
you have to act like you want it bad enough that you will be a hard worker. if you turn in an application dont just wait for them to call. wait a few days and call them up and ask about if the app has been reviewed. be persistant. ask to speak to the manager when you do. and if you go in dress nice and look professional. even if its a fast food place you should go in with nice clothes, a clean shave, combed and normal looking hair, and without any tatoos showing if possible or any piercings in other than earlobes maybe. act energetic but attentive and generally suck up to your soon to be superior. welcome to adult life kid.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
you have to act like you want it bad enough that you will be a hard worker. if you turn in an application dont just wait for them to call. wait a few days and call them up and ask about if the app has been reviewed. be persistant. ask to speak to the manager when you do. and if you go in dress nice and look professional. even if its a fast food place you should go in with nice clothes, a clean shave, combed and normal looking hair, and without any tatoos showing if possible or any piercings in other than earlobes maybe. act energetic but attentive and generally suck up to your soon to be superior. welcome to adult life kid.

Yeah, I have repeatedly called the places I've worked to see how they've been handling my application and whatnot, I do try to go in looking professional but at the same time not overdoing it. I have no tattoos or peircings, but thanks for the help anyway.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

this.

that's one of the main reasons certain people can't find jobs, because they don't know how to sell themselves. you have to think of yourself as a kind of product, because the company is going to be buying your work, you need to make sure to present yourself as good as possible, show them "dude, hire me and you'll never need to worry about me, I'm professional and I'm serious. you can count on me. I won't turn up to work hungover every day, and I won't steal your daughter's virginity" (don't ask)
I got my first job not too long ago at the same place my brother worked. I got the job only because they knew and liked my brother.

Do you have a brother?
Quote by I Poke Badgers
I got my first job not too long ago at the same place my brother worked. I got the job only because they knew and liked my brother.

Do you have a brother?

lol, yeah I do but he's 10. I do get what you're saying though, if I can try to get someone I know to hook me up with a job. I have actually, my uncle works for staples so I got him and another friend to write me up a recommendation, but even then I guess I wasn't good enough for the job or whatever. *shrugs*
ah, of course never underestimate the power of "Vitamin C".

connections and people you know might be able to get you jobs. If I were a boss I'd always hire someone who was a son or friend of a worker over some total stranger noone knows anything about.
i guess you could improve your covering letter and CV...
and improve interview performance by practicing...

also...
what exactly does a Nuclear Physician do... ?
Last edited by heminder at Feb 7, 2009,
Getting your first job is really down to sheer fortune and good timing more than anything. I wish you luck, young one.

The whole catch 22 about needing experience is the biggest problem. But I'm telling you- it's probably the ONLY problem, if you have good grades and such. As soon as you've actually got your foot on the ladder, the employment world opens up.

For this reason, I'd recommend volunteering for a couple months. It might sound insane, but like I said, it solves the experience problem and shows your dedication.
Last edited by Vermintide at Feb 7, 2009,
this isn't like 5 years ago. do you really think applying to 6 or 7 places is enough? you must be crazy. I had to apply to literally over 20 or 25 places before i finally got hired by someone last month. and i had experience in the areas i applied at a lot of those places. apply to more places, and dont think you're above any area of work. if you really need a job, then you'll be ok with cleaning bathrooms.