So I've decided to finally get some gear and start recording, but I'm not too confident in my choices of gear. I have a somewhat tight budget, $500 (a little more if absolutely necessary). I need to be able to record metal/hard rock, as well as folk music and some singer/songwriter type stuff. I won't need to be recording full band, I'll be doing most tracks myself, two people at the same time at the most.

So right now I'm looking at getting the Tascam US122 for an interface, as I'll be running off a Macbook only compatible with USB 2.0. How is this interface? Will it suit my needs, or is their something better in the price range? Out of my budget I also need Mics, and possibly a monitor (not sure how necessary that is). At the music store the other day, I saw a studio condenser mic set with two mics included, that looked good for about $200, so I'll probably go with that. So overall, would this be enough gear to get me on my feet for recording? I have some decent headphones as well. Any input is appreciated.
That sounds like it will be alright. Do you plan on recording in Garageband? Will you be recording a drummer? If you have good headphones I would not worry about monitors yet. I would get a shure sm57 which will be your guitar amp mic. The condensers will work well with vocals and acoustic stuff too. I would look into these for the condensers.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
That sounds like it will be alright. Do you plan on recording in Garageband? Will you be recording a drummer? If you have good headphones I would not worry about monitors yet. I would get a shure sm57 which will be your guitar amp mic. The condensers will work well with vocals and acoustic stuff too. I would look into these for the condensers.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166

I'll be using Garageband, although the Tascam comes with Cubase I believe. I may need to record drums at some point, although its not really a priority, as for the most part I'll be programming them. So I'll want a shure sm57 for my amp, and the condenser mics for everything else then?
Yes the condensers will record vocals and acoustic while the SM57 will be for the guitar cab. Bass is often done just as a line in with no mic at all.
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off