Okay so I've been playing about 1.5-2 years now, and I've had:
A Fender built Squier
A Fender 10 Watt Amp
Crybaby Wah Pedal

I know sad right? But I've been TRAINED on that guitar and I've gotten pretty good if I do say so myself. Right now my band and I (just drum/rhythm) play around Metal and Hard Rock (Van Halen, Metallica, Boston). Its not as ranged as others might but I really wanted a guitar for Metal and I was told Ibanez. I like the look and the feel but I just haven't gotten down to which one. My range is anywhere from $400-$600 but if its REALLY good and will last forever or at least past college time I'll go for it. I can try a local store, Guitar Center, and Sam Ash but I don't know what guitar to choose. My only requirements are:

1. Floyd Rose style trem- I know the tuning looks tough but I'm the kind of person that does anything to take care of things

2. 24 Frets- I notice when I play I got up high so 2 octaves would suit me best

3. Humbuckers- I want distortion enough to keep some crunch but no buzz from single coils!

4. 25.5" length or around that

5. No Gibson, since I really dislike their feel and sound.
Maybe a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR would suit you? i dont know if you'd like the feel of it though.
Quote by Rick540
I play in drop F. When I chug on the 6th string the floor splits open and satan crawls out.
A Jackson DK-2 would suit you nicely
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
i would get a higher wattage amp....i would not think 10 watts could get over drums....but idk never played with a drummer thats just what i have heard
Squirrels>all other animals group

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't recommend passive pickups for any kind of blues tone. Ideally, you'd want a passive pickup with a reasonably low level of output.
Thanks EVH (wow its a sing...) that actually does help since I was on Sam Ash and I found the Jackson dinky guitars to fit EXACTLY where my specifications were. I'll try one out tomorrow when I'm by there. I might have to go with the one below it for the money, unless you think it'd last me a long time and you actually have one for instance.
Oh yeah it does but if you do play with drummers in a small space like I do I have to set my volume to 3-4. But with my friend (uses an Epiphone LP and its only decent) we lower to the same volume (he uses the most annoying amp ever, the Line 6 Spider III Amp) and mine is easy to distinguish by the much choppy yet clean sound.

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't recommend passive pickups for any kind of blues tone. Ideally, you'd want a passive pickup with a reasonably low level of output.
I also found that on Sam Ash.com, it fits pretty well and I'll look at that too. Mainly because it reminds me of that ESP Clear Wave Machine Fluid Guitar Kirk has... I will find it and make it pink and then we'll see who gets to play with Metallica.
Jackson DK2M
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I couldn't find it nearby, but its got too few frets for me... it looks sweet.
A Jackson Dinky sounds about right for what you need...
I'd suggest a new amp. Seriously, i know the amp you're talking about
and it sounds absolutley terrible. Buy a new amp first, then get a new guitar...
You will notice a vast improvement in your sound... i know what im talking about, because i still own a Squire strat, and im about to buy a 5150... I've been playing for 2 years, and i've neglected to get a new guitar, because the squire isn't holding me back at all, but my sound could always be improved, which is why i keep getting new amps before i get a new guitar. I hear alot of people complain about how their squire or other starter guitar is holding them back; in most cases, they have absolutley no idea what they're talking about, and have themselves convinced that their guitar is holding them back...
eh, do whatever you want tho... that's just my 2 cents
Last edited by Killedelphia19 at Feb 7, 2009,
^ Dude, 5150's are AWESOME!

Good Choice
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by EVH92
^ Dude, 5150's are AWESOME!

Good Choice

I know man!
i like the 6505 better, but i can get a killer deal on a 5150 head. I'm thinkin of a MESA recto cab for it...

EDIT:: +1 to the guy above me, that thing looks killer; and you can't argue with the price
Last edited by Killedelphia19 at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by Killedelphia19
A Jackson Dinky sounds about right for what you need...
I'd suggest a new amp. Seriously, i know the amp you're talking about
and it sounds absolutley terrible. Buy a new amp first, then get a new guitar...
You will notice a vast improvement in your sound... i know what im talking about, because i still own a Squire strat, and im about to buy a 5150... I've been playing for 2 years, and i've neglected to get a new guitar, because the squire isn't holding me back at all, but my sound could always be improved, which is why i keep getting new amps before i get a new guitar. I hear alot of people complain about how their squire or other starter guitar is holding them back; in most cases, they have absolutley no idea what they're talking about, and have themselves convinced that their guitar is holding them back...
eh, do whatever you want tho... that's just my 2 cents

I agree with this statement.

New amp first,then get a new guitar at a later time.Anything you run through that 10 watt amp is going to sound bad,a new guitar wont fix it.Also,stay away from the hellraiser.Active pickups + Small SS amp = Failgasm

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

There might be some sort of Ibanez suited to your needs?

I don't really know Ibanez but I'm sure a number of people here could give you a hand.
Quote by Swiggles
Okay so I've been playing about 1.5-2 years now, and I've had:
A Fender built Squier
A Fender 10 Watt Amp
Crybaby Wah Pedal

I know sad right? But I've been TRAINED on that guitar and I've gotten pretty good if I do say so myself. Right now my band and I (just drum/rhythm) play around Metal and Hard Rock (Van Halen, Metallica, Boston). Its not as ranged as others might but I really wanted a guitar for Metal and I was told Ibanez. I like the look and the feel but I just haven't gotten down to which one. My range is anywhere from $400-$600 but if its REALLY good and will last forever or at least past college time I'll go for it. I can try a local store, Guitar Center, and Sam Ash but I don't know what guitar to choose. My only requirements are:

1. Floyd Rose style trem- I know the tuning looks tough but I'm the kind of person that does anything to take care of things

2. 24 Frets- I notice when I play I got up high so 2 octaves would suit me best

3. Humbuckers- I want distortion enough to keep some crunch but no buzz from single coils!

4. 25.5" length or around that

5. No Gibson, since I really dislike their feel and sound.

buy mine
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1062252
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by Killedelphia19
I know man!
i like the 6505 better, but i can get a killer deal on a 5150 head.

6505 and 5150 are the exact same amp, different name.
but great choice. How much are you getting it for?
I've been looking for a 5150 head for a good price for about 6 months now.
No luck =[
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!

Well Its probably good, but if its got an Edge III I'm steering clear, and also why would you sell it at the original retail price? Im sticking to 4-5 hundreds guys, oh yeah 5150 heads are amazing I just feel:

My squier is badly made pick-up wise and even on good amps I haven't gotten a REALLY great feel for it. Like I said before, that whammy isn't fitting for what I want to do, and I really badly want 24 frets and clearer pick-ups. But of course to each his own, though I kinda need advice. I'm looking into the Dinky's.
Quote by Swiggles
Well Its probably good, but if its got an Edge III I'm steering clear, and also why would you sell it at the original retail price? Im sticking to 4-5 hundreds guys, oh yeah 5150 heads are amazing I just feel:

My squier is badly made pick-up wise and even on good amps I haven't gotten a REALLY great feel for it. Like I said before, that whammy isn't fitting for what I want to do, and I really badly want 24 frets and clearer pick-ups. But of course to each his own, though I kinda need advice. I'm looking into the Dinky's.

it's an Edge Pro. a high quality trem.

as far as i know it's 200 below retail
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG1570-Electric-Guitar?sku=519965

but i'll be willing to do 600 if it'll be a deal breaker.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
I plan on buying in store, but that isn't a half bad price if its really good.
From my end your basically describing an Ibanez RG I will find some models in your range here.

If you can stretch your budget $100 you should try one of these

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG2570Z-Electric-Guitar?sku=518082

Everything else in your range with a trem from the RG series has the Edge 3. If your willing to do a trem swap I can get those models for you as well.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Hey guys thanks for your advice, but I found love in this snow-camo ESP Hanneman Signature for 400 at Sam Ash, demoed and loved it. The dinky pickups weren't good enough for me, and this thing is beautiful. I dont necessarily like Slayer, but its just so awesome. Thanks for your help.
Quote by Swiggles
Hey guys thanks for your advice, but I found love in this snow-camo ESP Hanneman Signature for 400 at Sam Ash, demoed and loved it. The dinky pickups weren't good enough for me, and this thing is beautiful. I dont necessarily like Slayer, but its just so awesome. Thanks for your help.

make a ngd thread i want to see it

Quote by Prophet of Page