why does your gender make a difference o_0 ? seems decent, but you might be able to get something better, budget? location? bands' sounds your looking for? willing to go used? play with a band? gig?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
A Peavey Vypyr? According to UG, they're great. You might wanna check out the 30 watt. But that's a solid state, which will be USUALLY no where near as good as a tube. Do you have a budget? What bands do you like?

Last edited by SaintsofNowhere at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by SaintsofNowhere
A Peavey Vypyr? According to UG, they're great. You might wanna check out the 30 watt. But that's a solid state, which will be no where near as good as a tube.

periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
why does your gender make a difference o_0 ? seems decent, but you might be able to get something better, budget? location? bands' sounds your looking for? willing to go used? play with a band? gig?

Because I'm only 5 foot tall and 100ibs and no bf to carry heavy/bulky amps up 3 flights of stairs for me

maybe 30 watts would be better but i don't really like the vypyr
Quote by sarah24
Because I'm only 5 foot tall and 100ibs and no bf to carry heavy/bulky amps up 3 flights of stairs for me

maybe 30 watts would be better but i don't really like the vypyr

check out the B-52 AT112. very tight, heavy sound, if it fits in your budget.
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I support the CUbe 30 recommendation as well as throw in my own recommendations of a Vox AD30 and a Fender Super Champ.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
I like the sounds that I hear (online) from the Cube. I like the 80 because of the added features + 80-watts should be sufficient if/when I join a band.
Why would you want to practise in a band with a solidstate?

If you're looking for an amp to last you in a band get a tube amp.

They cut through SO MUCH BETTER.

B-52 AT112, get it.
NEVER, I repeat, NEVER buy a Solid State over 30 watts, they're a waste of money.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
NEVER, I repeat, NEVER buy a Solid State over 30 watts, they're a waste of money.

really?
my 500 watt solid state is one of the clearest amps i've ever played and i play gigs and do band practice with it no sweat, haven't had to turn it past like 5 to compete with a peavey 5150/dual rec.

the best tones i've heard ever were from a Vetta II, a solid state. and mine, but that's all subjective.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by lespaul#1
NEVER, I repeat, NEVER buy a BAD Solid State over 30 watts, they're a waste of money.

fixed...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
I think high watt SS amps in general are a waste. I'd rather have my 22 watt Deluxe than an 100 Watt SS.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by signedinbloodnz
really?
my 500 watt solid state is one of the clearest amps i've ever played and i play gigs and do band practice with it no sweat, haven't had to turn it past like 5 to compete with a peavey 5150/dual rec.

the best tones i've heard ever were from a Vetta II, a solid state. and mine, but that's all subjective.

Yeah, compare a 500 watt expensive solid state that is of quality to a roland cube 30

Quote by lespaul#1
I think high watt SS amps in general are a waste. I'd rather have my 22 watt Deluxe than an 100 Watt SS.

You listen to surf and blues, this is typical genres where tube saturation and dynamics are almost required to sound great.

Metal is different.
Last edited by JilaX^ at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by signedinbloodnz
really?

It may be loud, but SS amps just don't have the warmth of a tube amp. Say I'm wrong, but 90% of this site feels that way.

Quote by JilaX^
Yeah, compare a 500 watt expensive solid state that is of quality to a roland cube 30

You listen to surf and blues, this is typical genres where tube saturation and dynamics are almost required to sound great.

Metal is different.

Have you ever listened to Surf? 90% of it is clean or slightly pushed tube amps. Surf and Metal are my favorite genres, but my Deluxe can handle small and medium gigs clean, so I can use pedals for metal. Though not voiced for Metal. The Dual Showman (100 tube watts) makes a great amp for Surf and Metal.
Quote by chip46
Last edited by lespaul#1 at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by lespaul#1
It may be loud, but SS amps just don't have the warmth of a tube amp. Say I'm wrong, but 90% of this site feels that way.

Have you ever listened to Surf? 90% of it is clean or slightly pushed tube amps. Surf and Metal are my favorite genres, but my Deluxe can handle small and medium gigs clean, so I can use pedals for metal. Though not voiced for Metal. The Dual Showman (100 tube watts) makes a great amp for Surf and Metal.

Blues = Tube Saturation, dynamics.

Surf = slight saturation + mainly tube dynamics.
Quote by JilaX^
Blues = Tube Saturation, dynamics.

Surf = slight saturation + mainly tube dynamics.

Now you got it.
Quote by chip46
yeah but there are solid state amps that arent modeling amps....
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by lespaul#1
Now you got it.

I was very well aware of this, you just misread me a bit
Quote by schecter ftw
So your saying a Roland JC-120 sucks??

I just find them to be overkill, usually, you can get a nice tube amp for the price.
Quote by chip46
Quote by schecter ftw
So your saying a Roland JC-120 sucks??

Exactly, it's just that his main genres love tube amps.
Quote by JilaX^
Exactly, it's just that his main genres love tube amps.

Pinned the nail right on the head there.
Quote by chip46
I chose a solid state over tube. I'm not an idiot, I'm just not much of a fan of the "warmth" you get from tubes.

But let's try to keep this on topic.

Roland cubes are good amps, but I've said it a couple of times before and I'll say it again... Vox ADs

But for the same price of the Cube 80x (At least over here anyway) A Randall RX 75R is pretty damn sweet.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
YOU NEED TO ASK YOURSELF THESE QUESTIONS FIRST!

what is your budget?

what do you want to use the amp for?