So...I have a problem. I have NO idea how to write a riff or a lick. I usually just end up playing random sounding stuff (even though they're in the same scale). Are there any good guides out there for writing a riff?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
If there were guides to writing good riffs, we'd have a lot more of them.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
just play something that sounds neat. most riffs are pretty short. the only real way to write a good riff is to: 1) study riffs you like, and see what makes them sound good. 2) find what sounds good to YOU by messing around on your guitar.
Time consumer has a good point: Learn some of your favorite songs including soloes. This will give you an ear for notes and a knack for the techniques involved (if you practice them hard enough). These will end up influence and further your creativity in writing your riffs.

Start out by analyzing your favorite riffs and what makes them tick. Some of the most popular riffs are build from 3 notes from the blues scale.

Another thing to do is to start out by playing actual songs and licks every time you sit down to practice. If you spend to much time noodling around your mind will eventually grow tired and you'll put your guitar down before you've even begun to practice.

Make it your agenda in your practice schedule to put time into improvisation (after you've covered your main areas) by jamming along to your favorite song or better yet record your own rhythm track and jam over it. Start out by staying inside 'the box'/ the root note scale and just go nuts. Don't play the scales from low to high but try to mix it up and eventually you will start feel how the particular relates to eachother.
Are there any sites with a lot of generic licks that I can study and practice?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300