Hi have a project in mind because I have a G-310 in black and I want to customize it by painting the guitar in white and relocate the bridge and tail piece because were bad aligned with the neck and the strings not intonate and the final mod that I want to do is move the neck so that is like any other sg.

1. I want to know if I need to sand all the finish off to paint it
2. Can I use car finish to paint the guitar?
3. What is the angle that the bridge needs
4. I can move the neck and glue some wood to the end of the neck and to the neck pocket in the guitar to move the neck forward (If this strong enough to hold the string tension?)
i just did this not too long ago with a strat copy but you dont sound too 'knowing' on painting, no offense whatsoever

1. yes paint mUST be sanded, not completely sanded off just scruffled, then prime it, then paint it, then clear coat it, scruffled smoothly of course
2. dont use car finish no, use acrylics for easier painting(although seals the wood), or use a laquer(harder to paint but lets the wood breath) requires more coats, longer to dry, and chips off easier though
-nitro-cellulose is a specific kind of laquer

MAKE SURE you paint in a non-dusty room, with NO dog/cat/animal hair, and wear a breathing mask!!a paper/cotton mask will do fine

3&4 u will need another person for answers

also for painting and customizing the looks of a guitar, this site is great http://www.projectguitar.com/
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Feb 7, 2009,
Thanks this is because my first project and I want to know what I will be doing
Quote by JimmyBanks6
i just did this not too long ago with a strat copy but you dont sound too 'knowing' on painting, no offense whatsoever

1. yes paint mUST be sanded, not completely sanded off just scruffled, then prime it, then paint it, then clear coat it, scruffled smoothly of course
2. dont use car finish no, use acrylics for easier painting(although seals the wood), or use a laquer(harder to paint but lets the wood breath) requires more coats, longer to dry, and chips off easier though
-nitro-cellulose is a specific kind of laquer

MAKE SURE you paint in a non-dusty room, with NO dog/cat/animal hair, and wear a breathing mask!!a paper/cotton mask will do fine

3&4 u will need another person for answers

also for painting and customizing the looks of a guitar, this site is great http://www.projectguitar.com/

PRS use car finishes on some of their guitars, and it works perfectly fine.
Supreme Commander Of The Lolcats Of the UG Army

And that guy, who had that idea, one time

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SIMIAN σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Boogie Man
PRS use car finishes on some of their guitars, and it works perfectly fine.

car finishes or car paint? huge difference, car paint is designed to be on metal not wood. Fender strats have car finishes but they use lacquers not car paints.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
car paint can be used on wood and does look better and is easier to deal with than lacquer

use 2 coats of primer then sand till smooth

then spray 2 coats of colour and 2 of clear then buff for car paint on a guitar

my dad is a car painter and has painted guitars at his work and it works fine he just finished painting my guitar i built 2 days ago
Your not going to be able to "move" the neck very easy. Im guessing you want the neck pushed out some for better upper fret access. But to do that the tab of wood where the neck and body meet will get pretty short there will be less wood supporting the neck which will make the whole joint weaker. And the screws would have to get pushed together another weak spot. Go out to far and under string tension the whole setup will tend to bow, which will ruin its tuning stability, if not break.
if you had to do all of this for an epiphone g-310 no offence but you got screwed mine had a strait neck aligned and had an excpetionaly strait neck the only thing i did was changed the pickups and intonated it which is easy with a tune o matic bridge.
To do all this, you should take all the paint off. Sand down to the wood-don't scuff it like the one guy said. Do all your modifications to the body
I don't know how you thing you're going to move the neck; the best suggestion I have for you is to put a small block in the neck pocket. (assuming you have a bolt-on neck) If you don't have a bolt on neck, don't bother. (but I think the G-310 does have one)
The one problem with my suggestion is that there may or may not be enough support to hold the neck with it out further.
Onward-
fill the old place for the bridge with dowels and wood-filler. Sand it flat.
Measure out the new place for the bridge and place the holes for it. Test to make sure everything is okay.

Then take everything off, seal the wood, prime, sand smooth, paint, sand smooth, paint, sand smooth, clear coat

EDIT: and to the guy above me: **** you. Epiphone guitars vary. sometimes you get good ones, sometimes you get bad ones. They just need some love.
EDIT2: I forgot to mention something in there: Before you prime the body, mask off the neck pocket, control cavities, and pickup routes.

I think I'm done editing, now
Last edited by Emoishboy at Feb 8, 2009,