If an Atheist used the idea of heaven to comfort a grieving friend, would this person be a hypocrite?
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Would it be wrong for me to stick a branch up a Mexicans butt and call him a jalapeno on a stick?

Bedit: No, because he/she is just trying to comfort that person.
Sail upon the open skies
if you asked the pit for an answer, wouldnt that make you retarded?
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
Quote by angusfan16
Would it be wrong for me to stick a branch up a Mexicans butt and call him a jalapeno on a stick?

Bedit: No, because he/she is just trying to comfort that person.

a STRONG guess would be yea, it would
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
What about an Atheist celebrating Christmas
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Fat-bastard0603

Millions do, and yes... kind of. They aren't celebrating the birth and death of Jesus, just the birth and death of Santa.
Everyone is already in one way or another a hypocrite so it doesn't really matter.
Christmas was stolen from Paganism anyway, so it's already hypocritical.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
It's a hypocritical thing to say, but i don't know if i'd label him a hypocrite.
i say Of
you say A
i say Revolution
and you say jah

In loving memory of that damn game of poker

Private first class of the bass militia, PM Nutter_101 to join!
yeah but it would be the same thing as a blind person saying they've seen worse. it wouldn't be a sin or anything. (i wasn't trying to bash people with sensory problems)

-Exavior
Quote by Fat-bastard0603

Christmas isnt christian
Quote by uk.mace
Sorry what? Christmas is christian, it's just that the time we 'celebrate' it was set to coincide with a pagan festival so that people would be used to the idea

It was set to steal everything about winter solstice from my pagan friends
No. If your friend is Christian then reminding them gently of their beliefs to comfort them is just a nice thing to do.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
Quote by mikey son
It was set to steal everything about winter solstice from my pagan friends

No. I think you mean Saturnalia, which was celebrated by the Romans around the time of Christmas today. It didn't steal anything.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Yes it does make that person a hypocrite. More important than that person being a hypocrite is comfortin his friend though. Give and take; being strong for a friend at your own cost.
Go ahead and do it. The person needs comforting. Just make sure you're telling them the right thing.
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
Quote by EVH92
No. I think you mean Saturnalia, which was celebrated by the Romans around the time of Christmas today. It didn't steal anything.

I was speaking of this my friend
"Christians in the fourth century assigned December 25 (the Winter Solstice on the Julian calendar[dubious – discuss]) as Christ's birthday (and thus Christmas) because pagans already observed this day as a holiday"
Quote by Fat-bastard0603

THAT is hypocritical, I'm sure the atheists I know do
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
It's about comfort.

Religion, faith, atheism... They are all just devices to make us feel better about ourselves and the world. Some people need to believe that there is an afterlife, and some people are content without it.

Myself, I have accepted that is probably too much of a mind**** for me to ever grasp, so I simply dont care. I think that being dead will be EXACTLY what it was like in the time before you were conceived.

However, I digress.

I think comforting someone overrides the hypocrite factor, and you dont necessarily have to believe in something yourself to reassure someone else.
Dear diary.

Today I stuffed some dolls full of dead rats I put in the blender.

I'm wondering if, maybe, there really is something wrong with me.
Quote by Benjibum
It's about comfort.

Religion, faith, atheism... They are all just devices to make us feel better about ourselves and the world. Some people need to believe that there is an afterlife, and some people are content without it.

Myself, I have accepted that is probably too much of a mind**** for me to ever grasp, so I simply dont care. I think that being dead will be EXACTLY what it was like in the time before you were conceived.

However, I digress.

I think comforting someone overrides the hypocrite factor, and you dont necessarily have to believe in something yourself to reassure someone else.

Couldn't have said it better.
Quote by bendystraw
Millions do, and yes... kind of. They aren't celebrating the birth and death of Jesus, just the birth and death of Santa.

huh? im pretty sure its jesus.
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Quote by Fat-bastard0603

No. You don't seem to understand what "hypocrite" means.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by bendystraw
If that person used it in context and the friend was religious, no.

Bingo.

I'm an atheist, but if someone ELSE believes in heaven and takes comfort in that, then sure, it's ok. However, the bigger concern (than hypocrisy) is coming off as insincere of condescending under those circumstances.
Yes, but many Atheists tend to have to fake a religion when around certain people, we mostly would rather not offend someone who we simply don't all that much about. He/She may fake it so that society doesn't judge them.
ESP Eclipse Standard Series W/ PRS Santana II Pickups
PRS SE Soapbar II
Peavey 5150 120w Head
Avatar 412 Traditional Cab(v30's+G12H30's)
Malekko, Rocktron, T-Rex and MXR/Dunlop pedals
Religion, faith, atheism... They are all just devices to make us feel better about ourselves and the world.

...and not collecting stamps is something people do to pass the time.

You don't seem to understand what atheism is.

TS: If you feign belief in order to make your friend feel better, you are a hypocrite. If you simply remind him of his belief, it's something different entirely.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Feb 8, 2009,
As long as the one telling the friend didn't believe it, it is lying though, like an adult telling a child there is a Santa Claus.