Page 1 of 3
so here is the situation:

i have been studying les pauls for 6 months and would like to buy one, by dad will by me the guitar for me but only if i can prove that i it is a quality guitar.

so here is what i need you to do, if you have a les paul, preferably epiphone or gibson, or you are an expert on all guitars, or your friend has one that you have played once or twice. please shear your positive reviews and experiences

tl;dr post how great les pauls are in your opinion
yeah it aint a 24 fret shredder but it has great tones, the sustain is epic but be ready to lift weights cause its a solid piece of mahogany there mboy. but its pretty cool.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
ha!... First off since gibson became extremely mass produced the craftsmanship plummeted, even more when they ditched their distributer and decided to use their own profits to ship their goods which meant cutting back on materials and woods.

Unless your spending £2,000+ In my opinion you will not find a truly well built USA guitar. On the market a £1,199 japanese style ESP gibson could be better. Even the debate between Epiphone vs Gibson is close some times. It all depends on the example of the model, but Gibson seem to be very unpredictable and not consistent.

VOS Gibsons are very good, but they are expensive. But you get what you pay for. The quality aspects will be neck joint, electrical work, neck build, fret installation, wood qualities and a few others. If your a purist fan of Gibson and love the Les Paul look then go for it!

The three main things to consider about a guitar is build quality, versatility and cost and all these three can be distorted a fair amount. Gibson Les pauls are very popular and produced on a large scale and there are a lot of crappy expensive examples and there are lots of cheap good examples which contrast, but overall it might be a part of history but there is 'better' and it is all down to choice. PRS, Tom Anderson, Suhr and Vigier in my experiance of playing guitars are the dogs ballocks!.........

PRS owner and fan boy. *shrugs*
Would the company be around for decades and have god knows how many great artists using them if they weren't high quality you silly goose?

Personally,I don't like them.They're heavy and the fret access is horrible,but that's just personal opinion.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Les Pauls are great guitars, there's no denying it. The catch is: they're heavy... I love my Paul (it's an epi, but don't tell it that, it behaves more like a gibson!) and it sounds great, but... it's just so damn heavy.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
They don't have good fret access after the 19th fret and the Epiphones standard pick-ups are supposed to be below-mediocre.

The Les Paul has crafted many legendary tones and bands however.
Just tell him:

Led Zeppelin
Guns N' Roses
Bob Marley
Metallica
Thin Lizzy
etc.

I don't understand why people say that they are heavy, I don't notice a difference between my Strat and a Les Paul, only my sun-of-a-Snorlax SG feels like a brick.
Les pauls are personally my favorite guitars to play. They play great, look great, and in the vast majority of cases sound great. I have both a Gibson Les Paul double Cutaway (the ebony one that was on limited run on guitarcenter and musiciansfriend and is basically a standard 60's neck) and a Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty and the lead guitarist in my band has both a Gibson standard 60's neck and a Gibson les paul custom and all four are great guitars including the epiphone. As to the comment before about them being heavy and having bad upperfret access, my double cut weighs about the same as a strat give or take and thereis no problem with fret access (chances are youre not goin for a double cut but figuredi mention it anyway). A lot of people feel that they are overpriced and overhyped guitars but i disagree. While they are definatly not a bargain i think that they are worth every penny. It os one of the most used guitars ever (jimmy page, slash, billy gibbons, jeff beck, eric clapton, joe perry, pete townshend, tom morrello, buckethead, zakk wylde, and joe bonamassa and thats just the tip of the iceburg.) In my opinion it is one of the best looking guitars ever made and i will always play one. Good Luck finding your and i hope i helped.
I have a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Re-Issue ($5000). I was searching for the perfect guitar and tried out numerous brands (Jackson, Fender, B.C. Rich, ESP, PRS) before I finally came across this guitar. In my opinion, it's flawless.

Although Les Paul's are known for being heavy, it really isn't THAT bad considering it's only about 8.5 pounds and the weight distribution on the guitar makes it hang at a nice angle when playing standing up.

As for the playability, my main reason for getting a new guitar is that my previous guitar made it difficult to reach the higher frets. Even though somebody in this thread said reaching the higher frets was hard, I think that's probably a personal issue as I can reach the higher frets effortlessly.

Les Paul's are known for a "fat" sound and are in my opinion, the most versatile guitar you can buy, as I can go from really bluesy pieces to heavily distorted parts without compensating sound quality. The knobs on my guitar are fairly sensitive and the guitar itself looks amazing. All in all, you really can't go wrong with a Les Paul unless you are one of those people who just like to shred (it's much easier on other guitars in my opinion, but you can still do it on a LP).

Also, you can't go wrong with Gibson, as they are known for producing very high quality instruments and have a long history of doing so.

In conclusion, I wouldn't have spent such a large amount of cash on a guitar if I didn't think it was perfect.
I've been playing an epiphone les paul prophecy for 6 months. I played a regular epiphone les paul custom for 4 years before that (it was my first electric). I don't really have any complaints, it's all personal preference though. If your dad is willing to buy you a guitar I recommend going down to a shop with him and seeing what fits you best. People complain about les paul's weight but I kind of like it because it stays put when you play. But seriously dude, go play different guitars and see which one feels the best to YOU.
Quote by Zombie Inc.
I have a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Re-Issue ($5000). I was searching for the perfect guitar and tried out numerous brands (Jackson, Fender, B.C. Rich, ESP, PRS) before I finally came across this guitar. In my opinion, it's flawless.

Like I mentioned in my post, you will not find a poorly made VOS Re-issue because like the Fender custom shop it is made using traditional tools by people not robots.

The hours that goes into the construction on a Les paul standard to the hours spent making a VOS model is probably a long time. for $5,000 you get what you pay for. In general the more you pay the better you get. PRS are flawless, and it is pretty much factual they are lighter, more versatile and have better high fret access.

But PRS do not have much of an 'identity' where as the gibson les paul is iconic worldwide!
Well there's a few things to consider here:
  • Just because a guitar has a Les Paul body shape does not mean it will be good or bad. This actually goes for every type of guitar on the planet, but let's just stick to using LPs as the example here. For everyone one good Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul I've played, I've played 10 other Custom Shop LPs that have been awful. Same spec, made in the same place at the same time, but there are huge variations anyway. You can never paintbrush any kind of guitar with a simple good/average/bad label. I've played Epiphone LP Juniors with more sustain than Gibson Les Paul Customs. I don't like thin necks and I think the ESP LP copies are physically painful to play, but other people hate thick necks and find 50's Gibson necks impossible to play on instead. I've played a Vintage Les Paul copy with better fret access than the Gibson Les Paul Axcess (irony!). On the other hand the best guitar I've ever played is a Gibson Les Paul which I own. It just goes to show, every single guitar of any kind can (and will) be completely different, both in terms of your preferences to guitars and also the build of the guitar itself. Even when you are paying thousands for the very top brands, no model of guitar is actually ever that consistent in quality, sound and feel. So if your dad wants a simple black-and-white "YES THESE ARE ALWAYS FLAWLESSLY GREAT", then he's buggered because there is not a single guitar on earth which can meet that requirement. I repeat this tale a lot on here, since it's a good example of what I mean; when I was shopping for a Gibson Custom Shop 1959 VOS Les Paul, I tried out over twenty guitars, all Gibson Custom Shops, which were all awful. Then finally after visiting multiple shops and spending a few months searching, I finally found one which was amazing. Months of searching, multiple shops, many miles travelled... in the end I did get a guitar that was worth it, but it goes to show how imperfect even the top brands are.

• Linked to the above, since they vary so much you can't tell someone a guitar is great, have them buy it for you and think it'll turn out well. In fact that's just about the worst thing you can do. You need to go to stores, try out for yourself all the guitars that are there. And not just the ones that have the brand name you know - try everything out. That is the only way you will ever find a really perfect guitar. Try out everything. Whatever you read online, whatever you read in magazines, ultimately it means nothing. If I read a review giving an Ibanez guitar a 10/10, does that automatically mean if I order one online I'm going to love it the second it arrives on my doorstep? Hell no.

• If you can't already explain by yourself why you think a Les Paul is good, you probably shouldn't be buying one. It'd be like buying a red Ferrari just because "hey it's a red Ferrari!", without knowing anything about the differences in engines and whatever throughout the models. On which note...

• Why are you so hell-bent on a Les Paul anyway? If you don't already own one, how can you be so sure it's what you want?

Quote by SuperJoop
Like I mentioned in my post, you will not find a poorly made VOS Re-issue

I would very, very strongly disagree. To date, I have played close to thirty VOS 58 and 59 LPs, seven VOS 60s LPs, two '56s, one '57, one '57 Custom, two '57 Custom Black Beauty models, and four '57 Junior models. All in the VOS range. On top of that I've played three Axcesses, one 50th Anniversary 58 LP (same build as the 59 VOS), one Joe Perry signature, and two Slash signatures, all from the Custom Shop.

Out of those, I've found three good guitars worth a damn. Just three. That's three nice guitars out of around fifty. Not to mention the Axcesses I tried were below even Epiphone standards of sheer build quality.

I love my Gibson very much but in my experience, I got lucky with this one and overall the Custom Shop, including the VOS line, isn't worth a damn.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 7, 2009,
I love mine. Its versatile and feels good when you play it. Its very popular and tons of people use them. I most certainly would get him to buy you one. I also suggest you try them out because everyone doesn't have the same opinion on Les Pauls
Quote by MrFlibble
I repeat this tale a lot on here, since it's a good example of what I mean; when I was shopping for a Gibson Custom Shop 1959 VOS Les Paul, I tried out over twenty guitars, all Gibson Custom Shops, which were all awful. Then finally after visiting multiple shops and spending a few months searching, I finally found one which was amazing. Months of searching, multiple shops, many miles travelled... in the end I did get a guitar that was worth it, but it goes to show how imperfect even the top brands are.

When I was buying my custom shop 60's Closet relic stratocaster I Only played about 5 and they all played roughly the same. I liked the feel and everything about, I looked for about 2 weeks and played 5. However, 4 months later I find the set is bad and trem puts the guitar out of tune a lot. It 'sounds' poo hot but is hard to play IMO!.. I do play a PRS single cut trem though, which has amazing light touch action and the trem is *pitch perfect* (lol)..
I want a tom anderson now or another PRS, so i may part exchange it! But the strat and the PRS are so different! "spending this much money I should have known!"....well i did I am not retarded! except my taste has changed and I think the guitar that suits me is a PRS! not a fender strat although i love strats so much! Especially vintage looking old school *light relic* strats. But the playability is not there! the only things i play on my strat are blues and jazz. And the blues bores me and jazz is just for fun.

When your spending $5,000 on a guitar your advice is needed! especially when buying a Fender or a Gibson because they are so inconsistent.
Like the other guy said, guitars are always different.

For every single guitar: You either like it, or you don't.

For example, I have an Epiphone SG. A lot of people hate SG necks, yet I love them. Some people think Les Pauls are too heavy, yet people live with that, and are used to it. People love strats, yet I do not like them.

People have different opinions on different guitars. There is no guitar that will satisfy everyone.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore
Like the other guy said, guitars are always different.

For every single guitar: You either like it, or you don't.

For example, I have an Epiphone SG. A lot of people hate SG necks, yet I love them. Some people think Les Pauls are too heavy, yet people live with that, and are used to it. People love strats, yet I do not like them.

People have different opinions on different guitars. There is no guitar that will satisfy everyone.

not true: the line 6 Variax....

No, he's right, no guitar is ever going to fulfill everyone's needs, even for most people, one guitar own't fulfill all of that one person's needs.
You can get same or better quality guitars for much cheaper.

How long have you been playing?
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
they are heavy as hell and it's hard to get to the last frets

I personally like very much a big heavy chunk of mahogany and I've not really interested in playing the highest frets. A Les Paul suits me fine but everyone should try out a variety of brands and models because everyone has different needs.
Last edited by Trefellin at Feb 7, 2009,
If you ever check out music videos, from Slash (Guns n Roses), Yellowcard, Social Distortion (Story of my Life (Guitar Hero III)), and even Drake Bell from Drake and Josh (Nickelodeon), they all have les pauls. They are great guitars with a really nice warm sound. I have an Agile AL-3000 which is one of the best les paul copies out there (and way better than epiphones). Its great. Looks great and if you ever play with your friends, they will instantely recognize it.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Quote by Arzon
If you ever check out music videos, from Slash (Guns n Roses), Yellowcard, Social Distortion (Story of my Life (Guitar Hero III)), and even Drake Bell from Drake and Josh (Nickelodeon), they all have les pauls. They are great guitars with a really nice warm sound. I have an Agile AL-3000 which is one of the best les paul copies out there (and way better than epiphones). Its great. Looks great and if you ever play with your friends, they will instantely recognize it.

Slash and Yellow Card, yes.... Social Distortion and Drake... no. Drake plays a Fender Strat half the time and the guitarist from Social Distortion plays a Gretsch, IIRC. I could be wrong.

But, naming artists who use a certain type of guitar isn't the best course of action. I mean, Clapton used Les Pauls at one point, so did Harrison, neither of them are known for using pauls, though. You know what I'm saying?

The best course of action is explaining why a les paul would be an ideal guitar for you. I don't know why I once thought they were my ideal guitar, but for a period of time, both my strats went unused and my Paul was the only thing I'd touch because I loved the neck, the tone, the feel and everything. It's not about other artists, it's about you.
Try it out and make sure you like it. They havent been very reliable lately as far as QC goes and for that chunk of cash its not something you risk. I personally am not a fan of LP's and almost bought one before i tried them, I'm glad i did, it's not my thing. You need to try it out first if its possible
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I owned a Gibson LP voodoo back in the day

was quite proud of it until the paint started coming off, but that was just a quality issue.
I find them rather uncomfortable when sitting down because the edge of the body will just tend to stick in your ribs when placed on the right leg if your a right handed player.Some people place it on the left so problem avoided when held like that, but that was no option for me.I started playing lots of lead guitar after a couple of years and found the LP just held back my true potential.no whammy bar, no easy high fret access no 24 frets for achieving more octaves.So I sold it and never regretted it.it just looks cool IMO and sounds great and thick but I needed more so I moved on.buying and trying different guitars will take you on a journey to see what fits best with your playing style.so see what sticks to you.gd luck.
If your getting a Gibson, try to find an older one from like the 70s or 80s. Often about the same price, but way better in craftsmanship.

If your looking for something cheaper, look at Agile Al's. Just can't beat factory direct prices =)

Well there's a few things to consider here:
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Feb 7, 2009,
I find them uncomfortable to play as the top bit of the body digs into my ribcage just infront of my heart.
RG's & Mesa's
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
they are heavy as hell and it's hard to get to the last frets

but that's what i like about them

well..maybe the fret access can pose a problem to some but hey...i don't mind it on my les paul.

anyway, i love my gibson les paul and can play virtually any type of music on it, i love the feel of the bridge, i have a 60's neck so the neck is real slim and easy to play on...

personally they're my favorite guitar, end of. i love the sounds i get out my mine, i love the playability, the look, the shape...everything.

also, i'm 6 ft' tall, i weigh 135 lbs. and i have no problem holding up my les paul for extended periods of time. man up

just a word of caution, before you buy one...play it, inspect it, get a feel for it before spending that much money on a guitar. i mean....this is a general rule for any guitar, but because Gibson's quality control has been slipping these past few years, be sure that your guitar isn't a lemon and is perfect. that's what i did and i'm extremely happy with both my Gibsons.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Last edited by Waterboy799 at Feb 8, 2009,
I myself would buy a strat but that's because all my favorite guitarists play it or a tele, and because I love the tone. I can't think of anything that hasn't already been said I'd have to ask my friend who plays one.
they are heavy, they arent too comfortable to play, the frets are slightly different than most guitars, they are overpriced, and they don't have whammy bars. despite this, they do have good tone generally.

strat>les paul
they're good.

i wouldn't consider them great by any means for their price.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
I'd quote Flibble's post since he's pretty much completely right as usual, but it's a bit long and as a lazy bastard myself I tl;dr'd.

But yeah. if he likes classic rock, Slash, Zoso and Schon. If he likes metal, Hetfield, Hammett and Donegan(used to use a PRS Singlecut). So on so forth. It's been used all over the world and is a relatively respected guitar, so it shouldn't be too hard. I'm a Fender guy though, so similar to Gibson folks having to shout "Les Paul!" at every GASing person, I'm obligated to tell you to to try a tele and strat before deciding for sure on a Les Paul. Looking at your taste, a Fender would probably be as good if not better a fit than a Les Paul.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 8, 2009,
the short of it is, don't bambozle him with stuff he wouldn't understand, and if it is important to relay that information, do so in laymans terms.

1. Les Pauls have a reputation for being one of the most versatile guitars out there today, from jazz to rock to brutal death metal (not so much but meh) you are sure to find a les paul or a variation of.

2. Gibson's quality control is still top knotch (although i believe dropping slightly as alot of Gibson guitars are coming out in a slightly lower quality), you are guarenteed an excellent guitar when you buy a Gibson.

3. they come in alot of different varieties, Epiphone have 24 fret ones with active pickups or coil tappable, gibson have some with bigsby tremolo's, ESPs copies are slightly lighter and feature a thinner neck for easier playing, PRS sell Les Paul style guitars with a vintage style tremolo, and some pretty good pickups. i could go on and on.

4. having a Les Paul makes your penis 3 times longer, if that doesn't win your dad over, nothing will.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by aradine
the short of it is, don't bambozle him with stuff he wouldn't understand, and if it is important to relay that information, do so in laymans terms.

1. Les Pauls have a reputation for being one of the most versatile guitars out there today, from jazz to rock to brutal death metal (not so much but meh) you are sure to find a les paul or a variation of.

2. Gibson's quality control is still top knotch (although i believe dropping slightly as alot of Gibson guitars are coming out in a slightly lower quality), you are guarenteed an excellent guitar when you buy a Gibson.

3. they come in alot of different varieties, Epiphone have 24 fret ones with active pickups or coil tappable, gibson have some with bigsby tremolo's, ESPs copies are slightly lighter and feature a thinner neck for easier playing, PRS sell Les Paul style guitars with a vintage style tremolo, and some pretty good pickups. i could go on and on.

4. having a Les Paul makes your penis 3 times longer, if that doesn't win your dad over, nothing will.

2 and 4 sounded a bit fanboyish. I do have to agree with 1, 3 and 4 though.

Quote by necrosis1193
2 and 4 sounded a bit fanboyish. I do have to agree with 1, 3 and 4 though.

tbh, i'm not a big fan of Les Pauls, i have shoulder problems and cannot support the weight without doing serious injury to my shoulder. my J&D Luthiers LP copy is alot lighter and still gets that les paul sound.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Huh. I'd ask a bit more about that injury, but I don't want to steal the topic.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Would the company be around for decades and have god knows how many great artists using them if they weren't high quality you silly goose?
Personally,I don't like them.They're heavy and the fret access is horrible,but that's just personal opinion.

They arent the best but they are high quality.

To Prognut...
Product placement
Popularity
Decades of Endorcement
Bearing the name of the man who invented the solid body electric guitar.
There are more in the world or music lying aroud than there are starving orphans

Pick any one of these many options
Im a prog nut too
Hell yes the LP is worth it, you have to find the right one. As they are one of the most versatile guitars, you have to find your right wood/wood density/brand to get YOUR specs. Hell I played 100 LPs from gibson to PRS to Epiphone in my relatively low price range for being so picky (1000$) and when I found a gibson '08 Maplewood natural I fell in love. Point is TRY THE FRAKING GUITAR! I believe Les Pauls are the single most wide ranged used body for so many different styles and tone, now I am probably mistaken but I don't care.

Don't just try Les Pauls either. If you just like the body try some similar Gretches' that (when you look at the right models) can give you a twangy LP or a deep Strat and everything between. Know your style when you buy one, because a LP can dictate your whole style in one guitar if you have access to a hell load to try out.

So heres' my tl;dr version

Pros-
Generally well-built
Always very versatile
High Variety
Amazing tone
Amazing playability
Higher fret access isn't a bitch like most people say...they just don't know how to pop their wrist up and play like they would if accessing the very highest frets of other guitars.
Easy pickup accessibility/switching

Cons
High Variety (You may not find the right Lp for you, you may not find the right woods for you, etc. due to how many different specs are produced)
Lacking a Whammy, though not a problem if you make your own mods
Always sort of deep sounding, can be a problem for people if they don't care for that sound
Quote by manhangi
Hell yes the LP is worth it, you have to find the right one. As they are one of the most versatile guitars, you have to find your right wood/wood density/brand to get YOUR specs. Hell I played 100 LPs from gibson to PRS to Epiphone in my relatively low price range for being so picky (1000$) and when I found a gibson '08 Maplewood natural I fell in love. Point is TRY THE FRAKING GUITAR! I believe Les Pauls are the single most wide ranged used body for so many different styles and tone, now I am probably mistaken but I don't care.

Don't just try Les Pauls either. If you just like the body try some similar Gretches' that (when you look at the right models) can give you a twangy LP or a deep Strat and everything between. Know your style when you buy one, because a LP can dictate your whole style in one guitar if you have access to a hell load to try out.

So heres' my tl;dr version

Pros-
Generally well-built
Always very versatile
High Variety
Amazing tone
Amazing playability
Higher fret access isn't a bitch like most people say...they just don't know how to pop their wrist up and play like they would if accessing the very highest frets of other guitars.
Easy pickup accessibility/switching

Cons
High Variety (You may not find the right Lp for you, you may not find the right woods for you, etc. due to how many different specs are produced)
Lacking a Whammy, though not a problem if you make your own mods
Always sort of deep sounding, can be a problem for people if they don't care for that sound

...No offense, but that sounded like a very fanboyish post.(I should really stop accusing people of sounding like fanboys, but what the hell, I'm tired and bored.)

Page 1 of 3