hey guys.

first i know there are A LOT of new amp threads on here, but i'm not making this one to get a bunch of recommendations.

I've been looking for a new tube amp for a while, and i've found one on craigslist that i'm going to be trying out before i buy.

Its a marshall jcm800 100 watt head with a jcm900 cab.
it's all for 1600 canadian.

First of all i have never bought a used tube amp before and i want to check it over so is there anything important i should look for, and secondly is that jcm 900 cab any good??

I don't really need the 4 12 cab so i'm going to try and get him to split it and maybe pay 1000 for the head.

thanks
if you get the amp, i guess you could take it to a tech just to make sure everythings going well inside the amp. i guess you wont need a 4x12, but you cant use an amp head without a cab, just making sure your aware of that.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
buying used amplifiers isnt that bad its like buying a used car.
look if there are something wrong with the tubes in the amp and just change it yourself.

and if you could give a budget and your music styles i think UGers could recommend you a BETTER amp
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
well i play classic and heavy rock, and metal.

and i am well aware that i need a cab, i'm currently building one right now. 2 12

and id like to try and stay under 1800 canadian, i've been scouring craigslist for amps for 2 weeks now and this is one that looks promising but any other ideas would be appretiated.

as i said i'm going to try it out before i commit to buying it (like anybody should)
^if you could find a used (pick one)
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV
Mesa/Boogie Mark IIc+
Mesa/Boogie Roadking
Splawn Nitro
ENGL Powerball

that would be better but you can stick with the Marshall though.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by XJudX
well i play classic and heavy rock, and metal.

and i am well aware that i need a cab, i'm currently building one right now. 2 12

and id like to try and stay under 1800 canadian, i've been scouring craigslist for amps for 2 weeks now and this is one that looks promising but any other ideas would be appretiated.

as i said i'm going to try it out before i commit to buying it (like anybody should)

The JCM should do this pretty well. But only old school metal, if you want to go completely br00talz, you need an OD.

Might be a bit loud for home use
yeah, JCM800's arent "low-volume amps"
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by JilaX^
The JCM should do this pretty well. But only old school metal, if you want to go completely br00talz, you need an OD.

Might be a bit loud for home use

is there any other way to play??

Thats just fine, im thinking i could mod my ds-1 as a boost ala robert keely style and see what happens :P

I did like the mesa dual rectifier but they are very expensive even used and i think they are a bit tooo much for what i need.

Mayb later though

edit: also engl amps are very difficult to find used. i guess everyone who buys one loves it
Last edited by XJudX at Feb 7, 2009,