I've got me a pretty decent les paul copy and I've been looking into a budget strat. Half because my little brother wants to learn guitar and half because i'm a little curious about the strat tone.

I've been looking into these two mainly:

Xaviere XV-870 from Guitar Fetish
http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvdocusobo.html

SX SST57 from Rondo Music
http://www.rondomusic.com/sst573ts.html

What do you think?
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Squier Classic Vibe.

/thread.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
I've heard good things about both the Xavierre and the SX, but... honestly, the Squier Classic Vibe is a VERY nice guitar. It's not hard to get the Xavierre or SX up to those standards, but, why not start with something better?
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
i actually heard the sx are hit or miss.

i'd choose a squier. BUT, for under $200, i'd get a squier tele.
still a light tone, alder wood, easy to mod, fixed bridge, maple board.

if you're set on a strat, in this price range, i'd pick the Xav (on rep only)

or a used squier.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
i actually heard the sx are hit or miss.

i'd choose a squier. BUT, for under $200, i'd get a squier tele.
still a light tone, alder wood, easy to mod, fixed bridge, maple board.

if you're set on a strat, in this price range, i'd pick the Xav (on rep only)

or a used squier.

My understanding is that the SX and Xavierre are the same. They have the same neck pockets and all. I wouldn't suggest one over the other, unless you're gonna stick with stock pickups: then the Xavierre. It's loaded with GFS pickups, which are gonna be nicer than the SX's pickups.

Also, if you're going under $200, the Squiers aren't as viable an option as the SX and Xavierre guitars. Under $200, all you can get from Squier are the Affinities and Bullet, which... those are pretty iffy guitars. If you know what you're doing, go check out the Affinity and Bullets and find one that plays well.

This is personally what I would recommend: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Stratocaster-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519338

I feel that the duncan designed pickups are very high quality, and I'm'a sucker for the name on the headstock.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by random_B-RAD
Squier Classic Vibe.

/thread.

classic vibe is out of my budget.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Quote by Arzon
classic vibe is out of my budget.

well, if it's out of your budget: for looks, I prefer the SX, just cause the headstock doesn't look ridiculous. But, if you're sticking with stock pickups: the Xavierre has GFS pickups, so, run with that.
Quote by Thomme
My understanding is that the SX and Xavierre are the same. They have the same neck pockets and all. I wouldn't suggest one over the other, unless you're gonna stick with stock pickups: then the Xavierre. It's loaded with GFS pickups, which are gonna be nicer than the SX's pickups.

Also, if you're going under $200, the Squiers aren't as viable an option as the SX and Xavierre guitars. Under $200, all you can get from Squier are the Affinities and Bullet, which... those are pretty iffy guitars. If you know what you're doing, go check out the Affinity and Bullets and find one that plays well.

This is personally what I would recommend: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-CLASSIC-VIBE-Stratocaster-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519338

I feel that the duncan designed pickups are very high quality, and I'm'a sucker for the name on the headstock.

well if Xav are sx, then i'd say no to both.
necks being the part that are hit or miss.

and under $200 then i'd stick with the teles if going squier

or yamaha pacifica 112. $200

the squier you put up is a hundred more.

if the budget is $300 then i've got different suggestions.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
well if Xav are sx, then i'd say no to both.
necks being the part that are hit or miss.

and under $200 then i'd stick with the teles if going squier

or yamaha pacifica 112. $200

the squier you put up is a hundred more.

if the budget is $300 then i've got different suggestions.

I know the CV is $300, but that's what I'd recomend for a budget strat.

The Squier teles under $200 have the same shortcomings as the strats, though. I'd suggest the SX from Rondo for $100. The guy at rondo is supposed to be great at taking returns if you get a dud from him. Look up the store reviews online, the folks over at Harmony Central rave about SX strats and teles.
i dont know man. i looked into them. talked to some guys i trust and decided not to go that route.

you might waste a couple months going back and forth with it.

if you want a pretty good strat, yamaha 112 is very nice and right around his price range.

or you know he can go with used. i got this yamaha for $50.

got this tele for $169

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

the squier affinity series has never wowed me, but a friend of mine had a Yamaha Pacifica 112 for like... 6 years before he got a jagstang, that yamaha was a great guitar for what it was, but, it was kind of weird and never took an upgrade outside of pickups well.

I'm not against the Yamaha, but if you want a strat, SX and Xaviere are going to be your best under $200. The Yamaha always felt kind of... cheap to me, personally.
No humbuckers, I'm going for all single coils. But thanks for the suggestion. Probably straying towards the Xaviere because I don't want to go hunting for pickups.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
it's a good choice for the price
well of the two, id def get the Xav.

i've heard good things about them for a couple years now, from guys a trust.

at the same time, sx reviews are always spotty. hit or miss.
i dont own either, but i trust the guys i talked to.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

I'd take the Xaviere. I have a xv-600 semi-hollow Tele, and I love it. Pretty close to a MIM Tele in build quality, very nice playability, and the pickups rock.
half because i'm a little curious about the strat tone.

If you're curious, go try some real quality MIA Fender Strats at your local guitar store. What you're getting is going to be nowhere near "the strat tone", and you'll essentially be wasting your $200. The idea that you could get any semblance of the tone you get with a real quality strat from a $200 guitar is just stupid.
^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

When Fender first starting making strats in Mexico, 1990, the necks were the same quality as the american version. The QC was handled by American Fender personnel.
That's why the 1990 through about 1994 Mexican strats hold up so well. I have a 1992, which I bought in 1994. It is my main guitar and I work just about every weekend. My San Dimas Charvel and Les Paul Studio are backups.
Honestly, re-do the grounding system and you're good to go.
Quote by Sharck
If you're curious, go try some real quality MIA Fender Strats at your local guitar store. What you're getting is going to be nowhere near "the strat tone", and you'll essentially be wasting your $200. The idea that you could get any semblance of the tone you get with a real quality strat from a $200 guitar is just stupid.

I heard that Guitarfetish has got some really quality guitars from many guitar magazines and can it really be that bad? I mean I got my Agile from rondo for about 1/5th the price of a gibson and I could barely tell the difference between the two soundwise.
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
honestly, he doesnt know what he's talking about. through the right amp, you can get some nice tones out of starter guitars.

pickup changes help but, you dont need a thousand dollar strat to get "strat" tones.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Even the Squier Bullet gives you strat tones, stock.