Mmm, I dont have much money and I am looking for a $500 bass combo amp. I play a 5 string bass so naturally, I need the amp to catch my B. I want a crucnchy sound and I play using my fingers. What size speaker should I look into? ATM, I am looking at the GK 210 backline. It has 2 by 10 speakers. Is that good for what I am looking for?\

Edit: I have also been looking at the ampeg BA115 combo, an amp I know that is very popular. It has a 1x15 speaker. So which would be better?
Quote by Azgirio
Yeah, you definitely raped his churches and burned his women.

Quote by LordBishek
Forgive the bluntness, but what in the chucklefucking hell is this?
Last edited by PluckU at Feb 7, 2009,
Both Backlines and BA's are very meh.

This forum is getting sick of it, but I have to recommend Ashdown.
Squier VM Fretless Jazz
Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5
Ashdown MAG 300 210
Last edited by Ivanator at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by Ivanator
Both Backlines and BA's are very meh.

Rawr, if I had money, I wouldnt get either.
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
Don't get a 2x10 combo. Not enough bass for a band.

If you can stretch a little you enter Carvin which is a very good company, my BX600 head records very well and puts out great tone.
Look into getting a used trace elliot, like a 115 combo. They handle my low b very well. Plus you get the awesome trace elliot british sound.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Trace Elliot GP7SM 200watt bass combo
Quote by smoots
Look into getting a used trace elliot, like a 115 combo. They handle my low b very well. Plus you get the awesome trace elliot british sound.

anything other than british sound>british =)
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
whats a matter with the british sound? I can easily get a "crunchy" sound from my trace elliot and Ibanez GSR 205M.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Quote by smoots
whats a matter with the british sound? I can easily get a "crunchy" sound from my trace elliot and Ibanez GSR 205M.

i dun like british sound.
i play metal
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
As do I. I play Death, COB, and a little pantera. Trust me, the trace works pretty well with what I got. Plus, the trace handles my LOW A well. its tuned back to an A dude, thats low.
GEAR:

Ibanez GSR205FM

Quote by PluckU
i dun like british sound.
i play metal

You generalize. The British amp tone is very at home in metal. See: Marshall amps. Plenty of metal bands use them (especially in my area) and they're great. At least try it before you knock it.
UG POKER!
Quote by WyvernOmega

TL;DR: Saw a girl at Wal-Mart, she started feeling me up, I jizzed in my pants.

Shit, I'm so pathetic.

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']I agree, tone does sound better the closer your genitals are to the ground.

Crabcore?

UNACCEPTABLE
Quote by P-Bass Pirate
You generalize. The British amp tone is very at home in metal. See: Marshall amps. Plenty of metal bands use them (especially in my area) and they're great. At least try it before you knock it.

lol that was my purpose. due to a past experience, I cant take anything "british" seriously.
enough with british

GET BACK ON TRACK

Well, will 1x15 be good? I'm looking into that size anyway, but I may pay more for more wattage
Quote by Azgirio

Quote by LordBishek
115 should be fine.

Also, you might look at used stuff...you could get a fairly beefy head/cab rig with $500. Check eBay and Craigslist.
Nope, no sig here.
Im hear to stick up for trace elliot. Its not very british voiced, ie not like hiwatt or weber. It is very versatile with a huge amount of growl to it. It is very suited to metal as it is to many other genres.

Ive seen a couple come up on the american ebay, i dont know why isearch it but i do.

Ashdown is another good make, also founded by trace elliot engineers. A 2x10 is highly lacking on its own, unless you can add a 15" straight away. Harkte and peavey also make good stuff. Go try them all out.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul