Hey I just bought a 2005 Jeep TJ.

It has a manual tranny in it and i recently learned how to drive standard.

When i want to back up i shift into reverse and let off the clutch, but sometimes it doesn't move and it sounds like it is grinding the gears... what am i doing wrong?
Quote by MachodaLPcstm

When i want to back up i shift into reverse and let off the clutch, but sometimes it doesn't move and it sounds like it is grinding the gears... what am i doing wrong?

What are you doing wrong?

You've got a tranny in your jeep for christ's sake!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes
Jimi Hendrix

"In paradise there are no walls"
Quote by MachodaLPcstm

You need to let the engine stop moving before you engage reverse gear. When you stop before reversing give it a couple of seconds to run down, should stop the grinding noise.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Quote by Jaymz_515
You need to let the engine stop moving before you engage reverse gear. When you stop before reversing give it a couple of seconds to run down, should stop the grinding noise.

I do... it happens most often in my driveway when i leave.
Quote by MachodaLPcstm
I do... it happens most often in my driveway when i leave.

Only thing I can think of is that the engine is revving at more than tick-over.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Well, I'd just remove the tranny, they are bad people.

edit: It sounds like it is stalling. You need to hold in your clutch when the car isn't moving.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Last edited by tayroar at Feb 7, 2009,
You may not have COMPLETELY engaged the car in reverse, so you may have to exaggerate the reverse position on the gear box. Sometimes, the gear is "almost there", but not quite, and that causes some distance to be between the gearbox and the engine itself. This may cause some sounds to show up right when the gear comes in contact with the engine, and then released, then another sound when it comes in contact again and so forth...

If pushing it in the position quite firmly doesn't work (and I don't mean break it either), take it to a tech and see if he can help out. If it isn't that much of a hassle, don't worry about it until something more serious happens.
You might have not put it fully into reverse. Sometimes in my RX-7 if I'm backing down with the car in neutral, and I want to put in reverse while moving backwards, It grinds when I shift, WITH the clutch in. I guess the synchro's just don't work sometimes :\
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by uk.mace
I'm not entirely sure as I haven't driven for nearly a year, but aren't you meant to find the biting point before letting off the clutch?

Yeah you are... but when stopped and i want to reverse, i let the clutch off REALLY slowly to roll back but then it just grinds and it pisses me off lol
Just make sure ya got the gear lever ALL the way back in reverse. On some cars it's obscenely far back to get into reverse
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Quote by Hell_Metalist
You may not have COMPLETELY engaged the car in reverse, so you may have to exaggerate the reverse position on the gear box. Sometimes, the gear is "almost there", but not quite, and that causes some distance to be between the gearbox and the engine itself. This may cause some sounds to show up right when the gear comes in contact with the engine, and then released, then another sound when it comes in contact again and so forth...

If pushing it in the position quite firmly doesn't work (and I don't mean break it either), take it to a tech and see if he can help out. If it isn't that much of a hassle, don't worry about it until something more serious happens.

This. I find my car dislikes going into reverse sometimes, I really have to whack the gearstick back into position for it to work. Sounds like this is what is happening to you.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
If she doesn't want to go fully into Reverse, (you should feel the shifter clunk into place) Try these two things. Make sure you're at a complete stop. First, jut put it in another gear then try reverse again. If that doesn't work put it in neutral, let the clutch pedal out, push it back in, throw her in reverse. That should do it.