alright so i believe after ten years of playing id better upgrade my axe.

my style of playing is erm.....AGRESSIVE...

i play almost all sub-genres of metal and hardcore.

i prodominately play in either C or B, and as a result of that im always changing tunings.

here inlies my guitar choosing issue.

- dont want to spend over $1700AUD
-i want a floyd whether it be lisenced or original(however we all know which is more preferable..)
-i want a super strat shape
-i dont know whether to choose a 6 string and tune to drop b, or buy a 7 and never have to really change tunings.

please somebody help my problem.

guitars im currently thinking of is the LTD MH-4000fr, and some white schecter 7 string..

also, emgs are a preference..

thanks for any help possible fella's.

kind regards,

brutal.
If you like the idea of extended range then a 7 is brilliant, ive never looked back
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Save up for the Schecter Loomis 7 model.It weighs a ton but it has EMG 707 pups in it and an original FR.It's also a 26.5" scale guitar so low tunings don't get all floppy and ****ty sounding.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Save up for the Schecter Loomis 7 model.It weighs a ton but it has EMG 707 pups in it and an original FR.It's also a 26.5" scale guitar so low tunings don't get all floppy and ****ty sounding.

is it worth a 45 minute car ride to try out and once again go back to the drawing board?

is it amazing enough to make me shell out the cash straight away?

cause as much as people may say "try it out and see if its good", if your a good guitarist you understand qhat a quality well made instrument is..
if you can and want to, go for the 7, personally i wouldnt because i played one in the guitar shop the other week and i saw no point as it didnt do anything for me, so i went and bought some Zakk Wylde EMG-81 and EMG-85 instead, but for you, go in a shop and just ask, most of the time they will just hand you the guitar, happened when i was in and asked the price of one, they said there was only 10 in the country and just gave me it and said 'theres an amp, play' so theres no harm in asking
Gear:

Jackson RR-3 Eerie Desert Swirl
Alden Warlord Guitar+Bass
Encore Strat
KTone Alpine White 6/12 Double Neck SG
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
If a seven is comfortable then I'd go with that. Essentially you still have a 6 string, just with another string when you want it... But if you get a 6 your never going to be able to just add a string.
Quote by Post?Organic
If a seven is comfortable then I'd go with that. Essentially you still have a 6 string, just with another string when you want it... But if you get a 6 your never going to be able to just add a string.

good point lol
Quote by brutalmania
is it worth a 45 minute car ride to try out and once again go back to the drawing board?

cause as much as people may say "try it out and see if its good", if your a good guitarist you understand qhat a quality well made instrument is..
Yes! It is amazing and worth the drive to audition it for an hour or so. You can also take the opportunity to try out a MIK Ibanez S7320 (Mahogany) or a MIJ Ibanez RG7620 (Basswood) if your store carries used equipment. The 7620 has the LoPro bridge, the best LFR, an opinion.

After you've come home with your new 7, please post pics and join us at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599065

Quote by brutalmania

It's definitely worth testing out.I'm not a production model schecter fan,but I still almost bought it before I decided to save longer and get a USA custom shop 7.It's made of hard ash so it weighs a ton and has really full and heavy tone.The whole thing has a satin type finish on it so the neck plays fast and the notes seem to resonate better when you're playing.OFR speaks for itself.It has a maple board which is kind of unique to 7 strings and good tuners.The neck is a bit thick on it,but I play Ibanez and jackson guitars so I'm used to really thin necks.If you get it I'd suggest throwing an 18 volt mod in there to open up the pups some more.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Ippon
Yes! It is amazing and worth the drive to audition it for an hour or so. You can also take the opportunity to try out a MIK Ibanez S7320 (Mahogany) or a MIJ Ibanez RG7620 (Basswood) if your store carries used equipment. The 7620 has the LoPro bridge, the best LFR, an opinion.

After you've come home with your new 7, please post pics and join us at https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=599065

will do

and yes i will be sure to post pics and join you
Quote by Pr0gNut
It's definitely worth testing out.I'm not a production model schecter fan,but I still almost bought it before I decided to save longer and get a USA custom shop 7.It's made of hard ash so it weighs a ton and has really full and heavy tone.The whole thing has a satin type finish on it so the neck plays fast and the notes seem to resonate better when you're playing.OFR speaks for itself.It has a maple board which is kind of unique to 7 strings and good tuners.The neck is a bit thick on it,but I play Ibanez and jackson guitars so I'm used to really thin necks.If you get it I'd suggest throwing an 18 volt mod in there to open up the pups some more.

very interesting. thank you.

this 18v mod how is it done?
Quote by brutalmania
very interesting. thank you.

this 18v mod how is it done?

Well ordinarily with a set of active pups you have both pickups drawing power from the same battery.The 18 volt mod basically adds another 9 volt into the mix so that each pup has it's own 9 volt to run off of.It opens up the pups more and gets rid of some of that sterile feeling and sound that actives sometimes give.I'm sure you could have a tech or someone with a knowledge of wiring do it for you,or if you're good at wiring there are probably some detailed diagrams on the net.

Yeah, i'd suggest the loomis 7. The only thing that would stop me from getting it is the neck; theres nothing wrong with the neck, it's just that im more a fan of Ibanez, and Jackson necks, and Schecter necks are just a little too thick for me. But the Loomis 7 is a very good guitar, and is deffinatley worth the trip to try it out.
Quote by Killedelphia19
Yeah, i'd suggest the loomis 7. The only thing that would stop me from getting it is the neck; theres nothing wrong with the neck, it's just that im more a fan of Ibanez, and Jackson necks, and Schecter necks are just a little too thick for me. But the Loomis 7 is a very good guitar, and is deffinatley worth the trip to try it out.

I have the exact same issue with it.It sucks when every other feature of a guitar is dead on for what you want but then something major like the neck doesn't meet your specs.

I went with 7 then went back to 6 dropped. Its to much hassle relearning to play with 7 in my case ive been playing for a long time. There isnt that much advantage in terms of scales and the string gets in the way for regular chord playing. Only thing its good for IMO is heavy riffage, but my dropped 6 is nice and loose and heavy.

Consider a baritone 6 and use a capo on fret 5 for normal stuff.
If you play in B and C then a 7 string is definatly worth looking into, you can transpose C into B and never have to change tunings

The extended scales of the Schecter hellraiser C7, blackjack and blackjack ATX will be great

and I'll also throw the Ibanez RG1527 out there for you to try out.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
You're going to need to go and try some 7's out before you commit to buying one, there is only so much you can understand by other people's opinions. Some people just dont generally get on with them very well, when compaired to detuned 6's.
Get the Loomis. I've owned one for a year. Yeah... relearning is a little difficult. Took like two weeks to be able to read tabs w/o being confused and stuff, but it is worth it.
I like schecter over Ibanez... but it all depends on the type of neck you like. If Jeff Loomis can pull off the moves he does on it, then you can tooooooooooo. Necks just take a few jams to get used to.
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200