Page 1 of 2
right now the only people that i can talk about good music with are people of the age of my parents. all of my friends are either listening to really stupid hip hop or electro and while i wouldn't even call that music they think it's the best thing ever. it makes me sad that people don't seem to appreciate good music anymore. i'm talking about zappa, or the chili peppers, or jimi hendrix, jane's addiction, jaco pastorius, the beatles or at least some old school hip hop like public enemy with the bass humpin your face!

i always think that the people might just not know how much greater stuff there is than what mtv feeds them. or maybe nowadays people don't take the music serious enough to search for something that they can really identify themselves with...........?
i just thought i'd get this off my chest.

Discuss!
All this is subjective. What you call good music might be rubbish for others.
Some people think metal is good music.
Some people think jazz is good.
Others prefer classical.
And some people say rap is good music. (Well, actually, they say it's Da Shizz, but it's the same concept)

Most "good" music, speaking by modern standards, is pretty simple, if you pay atention to chord progressions and technicalities like that.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by which ones pink
There's no such thing as good or bad music. It's preference. GTFO.

you gtfo if you wanna tell me that the music that is around today is worth ****.
you realize "good" is subjective right?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Groll you're a bloody genius

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
im "talking" to the future greatest director in the world
PRIVELAGED

member #9 of "The Beatles really are the greatest

Metal Face productions! watch our movies!
http://www.metalface.tk/
Quote by jAzZMataZz
you gtfo if you wanna tell me that the music that is around today is worth ****.

Had my respect...And you lost it!
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
who cares
music is music
you either like it or you don't

/obvious statement
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Quote by which ones pink

Exactly. For all we know you're an idiot who can't appreciate hip-hop or electro.
Sadly, it doesn't look like people will appreciate the classics for a while. I love many classics though, including Black Sabbath, Notorious B.I.G., Run DMC, Public Enemy, classic AC/DC, Anthrax, Van Halen, even Michael Jackson.. It annoys me when someone says something like, "Why are you listening to that song? It's old."
Quote by binary-ghost
i really wish i had pics to proove it... i just realized how immensely unbelievable this is but... i promise you... he was doing something to the dogs crotch with his face..
Quote by jAzZMataZz

you my friend, have a complex!
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
PRIVELAGED

as much as i love classic rock and hate MTV, i'll have to side with preference. art is an opinion, there is no fact on what "good" art is. You don't have to like all kinds of music, but you should have a respect for it
To say of what is that it is not, or of what is not that it is, is false, while to say of what is that it is, and of what is not that it is not, is true.

I hate the mindless generic pop that is all over top 40 stations nowadays.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

you just won the thread. a round of applause is in order *fap fap fa......CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

TF2 Player?
Quote by which ones pink

Pretty much. What makes music "good" is in the ear of the beholder.

A lot of modern music is pretty damn complicated. It's rare that it's 100% natural or acoustic anymore, but it's still complex and interesting when you see how well producers and studio musicians have managed to figure out what works and what doesn't.

A lot of what you call "good" music is the artist writing music for themselves more than for the listener, which can be pretty lame; at least compared to modern music.
If you mean good as in not so damn shallow and a bit more meaningful, then no. Most people want instant gratification now, not something they have to listen to a few times to get the full effect. Otherwise, good is subjective.
Quote by jAzZMataZz

I'd say it's worth quite a lot considering that any popular artist is just raking in the dough. Jokes aside, music is music. So what you don't like some of it? No one gives a shit. A person's music is precious to them, and you're just gonna say "it's crap 'cuz I don't like it"? I'll repeat my previous statement: GTFO.
i hate the way the pit always jumps on threads like these and takes every opportunity to call the TS a fag and whatnot.

on topic, never ever.
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Quote by entity0009
All this is subjective. What you call good music might be rubbish for others.
Some people think metal is good music.
Some people think jazz is good.
Others prefer classical.
And some people say rap is good music. (Well, actually, they say it's Da Shizz, but it's the same concept)

Most "good" music, speaking by modern standards, is pretty simple, if you pay atention to chord progressions and technicalities like that.

well i didn't bash on the genres. i think there's good music in every genre. what i'm trying to say is that this music somehow has gone away from the mainstream and music is not about music anymore it's about making money.

and somehow even you guys are too stupid realising that this has nothing to do with preference because most people don't even know what other stuff is out there. it's not possible to prefer jimi hendrix over britney spears if you don't even know who the hell he is.
Quote by CaptainRon
I think music is good based on a person's opinion and that this thread is fail.

How long did that take you?
Quote by CaptainRon

holy crap dude how did you do that?
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Quote by jAzZMataZz
well i didn't bash on the genres. i think there's good music in every genre. what i'm trying to say is that this music somehow has gone away from the mainstream and music is not about music anymore it's about making money.

and somehow even you guys are too stupid realising that this has nothing to do with preference because most people don't even know what other stuff is out there. it's not possible to prefer jimi hendrix over britney spears if you don't even know who the hell he is.

Dude, it's always been about making money to the people who decide what will be played. Even stations who play stuff like Pink Floyd and other oldies/classics are actually looking out for themselves. They play that music because they know people who listened to them when they were still big, and people like you who have grown to respect them, will listen.

We're bashing you because you were stupid enough to act like your opinion is the definite definition of something subjective.
Quote by jAzZMataZz

I'd say if someone doesn't know what else is out there, it's entirely because they don't care enough to look for it. And it's ridiculously easy to find music nowadays, y'know with the internet and all. A lot people who aren't musicians themselves only view music as entertainment - background noise - not an art form to be studied in detail. Why would you spend time looking for music if you don't really care what you're listening to?
Quote by jAzZMataZz

Could it be because they don't give a shit about knowing who he is?
What's wrong with that?
Last edited by creeping.death! at Feb 7, 2009,
TS, mind if I call you Dave? I'm gonna call you Dave. anyway, Dave, you are an elitist prick, but all is not lost. I see what you mean, most people don't listen to the same music you do, bummer right? There's a simple solution to this, seeing as its obvious that other people are the problem in this situation, naturally, the solution would be to simply avoid everyone you have ever known for the rest of your life. it's not as bad as it sounds, just amass a collection of classic vinyl, you know, that good music you were talking about, and rent a small self-storage building. go inside your building with a turn-table, some twinkies, your good music, and a bucket. optional is a large map of Uruguay. stay in there for as long as you like, you might start to smell some, but don't be alarmed. this is just your incredible, ineffable taste in music purifying your less perfect, human form.
Founder of the "Foundation to replace Jacob's stolen phone foundation of America" PM me to contribute to this noble cause, no donation is too small, or large for that matter
Quote by jAzZMataZz

this isnt really something to argue about. its music. Whether you like it or not.

if they dont wanna look back a few decades at the stuff you like. who really cares?

Music is for enjoyment. for expression. not just for you though. everyone has a say in their own musical preference.
Quote by CaptainRon

H ohlyk fusck ii nogs bhiet ,n a weesooms e

Edit: Well that didn't work.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Theres a difference between what is good music, and what is being fed to stupid high school girls. Obviously, some of it is purposly being made, used, discarded like a dirty condom, and used again, just so that the record companies can make a quick buck.

Im sure that back in the day, people though that *insert classic band name that was on top 40 list* sucked and was abolutely pathetic, and have turned out to be a great band. Personally, I dont see it happening with too many bands today, and I think they suck. I dont care about how much money you have in your bank, because I know the record labels ****ed you over and have 10x as much from that stupid song of yours, and the other 15 people that did it.

My 2cents.

SPARTAedit:
Quote by CaptainRon

Leave it to CaptainRon to make everyone in the pit go "wow" without even having to see his wang.
Last edited by Ghost of Sparta at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by which ones pink
I'd say if someone doesn't know what else is out there, it's entirely because they don't care enough to look for it. And it's ridiculously easy to find music nowadays, y'know with the internet and all. A lot people who aren't musicians themselves only view music as entertainment - background noise - not an art form to be studied in detail. Why would you spend time looking for music if you don't really care what you're listening to?

yeah i think its sad that people don't take music serious enough anymore because i'm 100 % sure that they would find something that they would like a whole lot better.
Quote by Ghost of Sparta

Im sure that back in the day, people though that *insert classic band name that was on top 40 list* sucked and was abolutely pathetic, and have turned out to be a great band. Personally, I dont see it happening with too many bands today, and I think they suck.

Quote by jAzZMataZz
yeah i think its sad that people don't take music serious enough anymore because i'm 100 % sure that they would find something that they would like a whole lot better.

if you're so worried about other people why don't you put that to something productive? there are more important things to worry about apart from peoples taste in music.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen

Quote by a6l6e6x1
wow
PRIVELAGED

Page 1 of 2