i heard this **** about if you take out 2 power tubes then it halves your wattage and most likely volume as well..

well this seems to make sense, but how exactly do you go about this?

i have a fixed bias tube amp with 4 power tubes.

its a peavey vk212.

so do i simply just take out two power tubes?

cheers for any help in advance.
The power tube sockets are wired in series in the VK, and need all tubes in order to function, or something like that.
Quote by brutalmania
****!

why is that?

cursing isn't your friend on an online forum i think it only works on amps with a specific type of circuitry, like class A or something like that
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I assume that its 100 watts with 4 power tubes? If you were to pull two to make it 50 it's still going to be LOUD, doubt you'll be able to hear a difference.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Can't do it on a VK100. Something to do with the tube heaters wired in series.

Also, and don't take offense, your posts make you come off as an idiot. Maybe lay off on the cussing. Also, don't bump after 4 minutes, this isn't a chat room.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Is this latest trend instead of buying an attenuator? There's been like ten of these threads in the last 4 days.

People need to realize that the volume differance isn't going to be that much!
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Why not just use the volume knob?
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
Why not just use the volume knob?

because then you dont get teh t00b saturation...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I can't remember where I read it before, but it will only take 10% volume off.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Quote by darrenjables

maybe it takes 50% headroom off, and 10% volume off, just a guess
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by darrenjables

alright mate cheers.

**** it then, ill just get arrested again..
The difference in volume between a 100 watt amp and a 50 watt amp is tiny. It's not worth the effort. Get yourself an attenuator. I have one by Webber and they are a good value. Check them out.
The volume differance is 3 decibals. Now keep in mind it takes a 10 decibal differance for the human ear to register a differance in volume.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
Quote by occub
I assume that its 100 watts with 4 power tubes? If you were to pull two to make it 50 it's still going to be LOUD, doubt you'll be able to hear a difference.

wrong.. its a log scale for wattage vs loudness.. it should be about 1/4 quieter.. which if it is deafening loud.. wont be that much of a difference, but still noticable

(10 watts vs 100 watts is a 1:2 ratio for loudness just to let ya kno, so im not sure if my 50:100 watt math is correct dont care enough to double check)

[edit] from what other people were saying 10%, deffinetly seems to make sense, so yes it will be noticable, only if you have the amp cranked to max volume.. which im sure you dont
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Last edited by JimmyBanks6 at Feb 7, 2009,
Quote by JimmyBanks6
wrong.. its a log scale for wattage vs loudness.. it should be about 1/4 quieter.. which if it is deafening loud.. wont be that much of a difference, but still noticable

(10 watts vs 100 watts is a 1:2 ratio for loudness just to let ya kno, so im not sure if my 50:100 watt math is correct dont care enough to double check)

No, the 3 dB difference posted above is correct. There is not a noticeable difference in loudness between a 50W and 100W tube amp. There is a change in dynamics and headroom, and perhaps some audible frequencies, but not actual loudness as perceived by the human ear.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
maybe it takes 50% headroom off, and 10% volume off, just a guess

Maybe 25% (Random guessing ) don't forget pre-tubes.

EDIT: In the shortest answer possible, there is no real volumes difference in wattages. And another short answer, the higher the wattages, the more headroom.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Last edited by darrenjables at Feb 7, 2009,
3 db would be the difference if both the amps were exactly the same except one was 50 watts and one was 100 watts. 3 db is generally considered the smallest difference a human will notice. So, in short, it's quieter, but not much. The main draw is you can use lower wattage speakers and only use half the tubes.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by JimmyBanks6

[edit] from what other people were saying 10%, deffinetly seems to make sense, so yes it will be noticable, only if you have the amp cranked to max volume.. which im sure you dont

huh? I've had a 120/100/50 watt amps and they are all loud as **** and will make your ears bleed. If you want to split hairs then be my guest, but my point was that going down to 50 isnt going to be "quiet".
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.