Does it just depend on the amp or is it generally better to always have distortion pedal of some kind?
^ it really depends on the amp
if you have a good old one channel clean amp then you might need a distortion/overdrive to get to heavier styles of music.

BUT if you have a hi/mid gain amp (6505,Rectifier) and you want to get to teh Br00tlz you will only need an Overdrive (adding an EQ will be better)
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Ah, I see. I have a Spider 3 15 watt (please don't yell at me, I know how ****ty it is, I bought it because I didn't know crap about amps, I know better now) and it sucks so I thought myabe buying a pedal would somehow make it less ****ty. But if it wont help, I'm better off buying a new amp.
Depends on the amp. Some amps are made specifically so they can play teh br00talz so you won't need a pedal but others are either more neutral or they were made for more rock/blues stuff so you'd need a pedal to get it to Nile or Behemoth level distortion.

EDIT:
Spiders have really ****ty clean tones...I'd know. I have a Spider II 15. They wouldn't take to pedals that well...I think you're better off trying to mess with the settings to get something semi decent or buying a new amp.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
Quote by leftman
Ah, I see. I have a Spider 3 15 watt (please don't yell at me, I know how ****ty it is, I bought it because I didn't know crap about amps, I know better now) and it sucks so I thought myabe buying a pedal would somehow make it less ****ty. But if it wont help, I'm better off buying a new amp.

i could help you with your amp purchase
if you want to buy one this week then answer these questions
Budget ???
Styles you play ??
Tube or SS ??
New or used ??
Nearest MAJOR city ?
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
BUT if you have a hi/mid gain amp (6505,Rectifier) and you want to get to teh Br00tlz you will only need an Overdrive (adding an EQ will be better)

I think most people find that the 6505/5150 is quite capable of handling hi gain music without the aid of a pedal.

but like you said earlier, it really does depend on the music. it should also be noted that even really heavy bands use much less gain than amps like the 5150 are actually capable of producing. like.. in the 60% range on average.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Well, ONE of the main reasons for having a pedal is so you can turn it on/off easily. The "insane" channel has pretty decent sound, I think. But you have to reach down and crap. Pedals are the way to go. Boss Metal zone.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
i could help you with your amp purchase
if you want to buy one this week then answer these questions
Budget ???
Styles you play ??
Tube or SS ??
New or used ??
Nearest MAJOR city ?

200 and lower, something cheap

Dont really have a style as I am a beginner. But I like videogame music, which is really varied, so there's no real style I play. Everything but country music would apply to me.

Which ever one is cheaper.

Doesn't matter as long as it works and will last.

Hollywood, Florida
^Well you are a beginner and like video game music (im guessing a guitar hero/rockband player moving on to the real thing ) i think a peavey vypyr 30 or a Roland cube 30x will be good for you they are pretty good and versatile amps and you wont need pedals for them
feel free to add me
I saw a sig quote that said everyone should own a Boss DS-1 at some time or another, I thought it was pretty funny but true. To me amp distortion is "almost" always better than a pedal.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Peavey Vypyr 30, definitely. But, it's $200.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by occub
I saw a sig quote that said everyone should own a Boss DS-1 at some time or another, I thought it was pretty funny but true. To me amp distortion is "almost" always better than a pedal.

well yeah, if you have a good amp distortion, then you wouldnt need any pedals unless maybe a fuzz if you were into that sound, and a clean boost if you wanted. but when your a beginner, you tend to think that a distortion pedal is better than an amp's distortion because it's specialized i guess, idk.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
My physics teacher had a Peavey amp that he recommended to me. It was a different model though. I should have listened to him, now I got stuck with this really crappy amp. Oh well, time to start saving up. Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate it.
I bought a distortion pedal for my 15w spider, and at the time I thought it was awesome, but now in the long run I realize that it was a waste of money.
You can get good enough metal tones out of the spider for practicing.
Put the money towards more significant new equipment.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Faux~Affliction
I bought a distortion pedal for my 15w spider, and at the time I thought it was awesome, but now in the long run I realize that it was a waste of money.
You can get good enough metal tones out of the spider for practicing.
Put the money towards more significant new equipment.

i agree, the 15w spiders are very good modeling amps for 100 bucks and aren't seriously outdone by any of the other 15w modelers except the vypyr, which is brand new. go with the metal channel, gain on 6.5, bass around 5 (i remember it being extremely boomy depending on what guitar you use), mids 7, treble 6.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.