Well, 6 months ago I decided rap or modern rap (underground AND mainstream) was at a general all time low so I decided to just quit listening to it. I started with the basic essentials (beatles/led zeppelin/cream/the clash/pink floyd/metallica/alice in chains) basically 3-4 of the pioneering bands of the main sub genres. And then, one day I listened to Comfortably Numb or was it Time and it hit; i knew I had to get a guitar. So i got one yay .

I've been playing for 6 months now and I'm at the point in my hobby where if I want to progress I need a rigourous routine. This question has been asked many times before, in various ways (should i practice songs/techniques/buts the best routine/etc.) But I feel too many people ask this and not exactly what they should be practicing. I mean to many people just say do ear training. Or do ****ing speed drills. Or learn some picking/strumming. WTF are these?

Could someone please elaborate like for example break down all the concepts for example:

Chords:
Open
Barre
Forming chords using intervals
Inversions
Arpeggiating Chords
Which chords can be substituted

and now could someone please elaborate on scales/picking/lead techniques (tapping/sweeping/etc)/rhythm (strumming types/picking types wtf is hybrid/economic/i saw someone i think it was hammet he was picking and then used middle and ring to do finger style at the same time O.o)??
Last edited by amd123 at Feb 7, 2009,
UG has lessons on everything you would need to know. you can go to the search bar on the main page, typing in what you wanna learn, and editting the searches to lessons with the drop down arrow next to the search field.

i recommend checking out ZeGuitarist's articles on "The ULTIMATE Guitar Guide". he goes over everything, and breaks it all down for you.

and congrats on the new guitar.
KLH & KGB
11/28/09
Last edited by KGB_INC at Feb 7, 2009,
Sorry if this isn't of any interest to you, but if your in it for the long run maybe you should take some lessons just so you can have it shown to you and not just read about them.
Smart Pothead and Proud
I actually do better teaching myself = more motivated you learn better atleast thats my opinion. I wanna make mistakes and correct them myself. But it seems like my biggest mistake was even asking this because it seems like people are not gonna answer my question and are just gonna say searchbar >_>
No, no, no searchbar.

Getting a highly trained teacher is the way to go. If you try to point out your mistakes, you might not see the entire picture, but a teacher can tell you what you don't see and can prepare a list of things to learn. It's okay that you try to teach yourself (I learned most theory and tried to analyze my picking, as well as ear training), but a teacher can speed things up; point you in the faster road of the fork.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
the best thing you can do is learn how to build chords and scales by their intervals and not just memorize shapes
I knew this would also happen sorry but I just can't afford a teacher and well I'm taking a guitar class in school (3 students in class for 40 minutes) and my experience with it SUCKS. We learn simple **** for the last six months in that class i learned about 7 chords, and the high e, b, and g string that is IT. So i thought okay **** this let me just show off skills in that class and my teacher might get the point but no. The teacher is a douche and I don't wanna deal with this. I do have various books (john petrucci, modern method for guitar, etc and some books on scales/chords/theory, and some videos like rock discipline/metal method). But I wanted a list of techniques that when mastered I wouldn't run into a brick wall when trying to learn a song because i'm not technically capable.
This is what I know:
Basic tapping 3 finger like in One
Chords, Many open and barre chords in keys of C,D,E,F,G,A, and B for the Major/Minor scales
I know how to construct scales/chords using intervals
I know chord theory using the roman numeral system
I know how to alternate pick
I have some basic knowledge of finger style (playing classical aka fur elise/moonlight sonata)

My main problems are:
keeping in time
switching chords
speed for playing leads
sweeping
muting and getting rid of unwanted sounds
tapping
string skipping
arpeggios

I also think I may have problems with these but I don't know what the following really are:
Legatos
Economy Picking
Ear training ( how does this work do i just C notes in octaves and record them and listen to them on an ipod and try to figure out which one is higher or lower and once im adept at that I add in more notes?) how does one even go about ear training, i mean do i need to learn a tonal language?!?
Quote by amd123
I knew this would also happen sorry but I just can't afford a teacher and well I'm taking a guitar class in school (3 students in class for 40 minutes) and my experience with it SUCKS. We learn simple **** for the last six months in that class i learned about 7 chords, and the high e, b, and g string that is IT. So i thought okay **** this let me just show off skills in that class and my teacher might get the point but no. The teacher is a douche and I don't wanna deal with this. I do have various books (john petrucci, modern method for guitar, etc and some books on scales/chords/theory, and some videos like rock discipline/metal method). But I wanted a list of techniques that when mastered I wouldn't run into a brick wall when trying to learn a song because i'm not technically capable.

Pfft, even if you learned the techniques you'll still would be technically incapable to play them, not after a long time! Even though I said this, the best course of action would not be to do exercises, but to focus on the music, and let the music be your exercise! Practice Technical Difficulties slow, transcribe Always With Me, Always With You, study theory, try to do everything you can to study up on music. If you don't play for some time, it's not time wasted, for sure, it's just resting from playing.

If you asked your teacher in private to clear up whatever you wanted to learn a few terms at a time, I bet you can learn much from him.

But fine:

My main problems are:
keeping in time (Get a metronome)
switching chords (Get a metronome, play slow. TRUST ME it works.)
speed for playing leads (Meh, play slow)
sweeping (Silly, but if you want to, play slow)
muting and getting rid of unwanted sounds (That requires posture and looking at your hands)
tapping (Play slow)
string skipping (Play slow, GOD)
arpeggios (Best if you use your chord construction and look for these yourself, will work wonders)

I also think I may have problems with these but I don't know what the following really are:
Legatos (Play them slowly and evenly on time)
Economy Picking (Focus on alternate, then economy)
Ear training ( how does this work do i just C notes in octaves and record them and listen to them on an ipod and try to figure out which one is higher or lower and once im adept at that I add in more notes?) how does one even go about ear training, i mean do i need to learn a tonal language?!? (www.trainear.com can help you learn the basics, intervals. Oh yeah, and transcribe music, learn by ear.)

In bold.

And to respond to ear training, learn intervals and chords and how chords relate to each other. Don't worry about learning a C or a D. Maybe an A for tuning purposes, but nothing else.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Last edited by SilverDark at Feb 7, 2009,
what are legatos? could you provide an example of one; oh and i've asked this before but I've still not fully understood how do i use a metronome? Please explain some examples of how i would use it for learning chords AND scales.
Quote by amd123
what are legatos? could you provide an example of one?

Hammer ons and pull offs. That's it.

Well, legato means to play smoothly, and on guitar it's just to employ hammer ons, pull offs, and tapping to play legato.

And you use a metronome to play with the beat, like you play a certain lick in time. Like you put the metronome at 60 BPM and for every click you play an E major scale (or any other scale that you know) and play each note on the click. Then, when you feel comfortable, speed it up slowly and when you get to 100 BPM, drop it down to 50 BPM and play two notes between clicks on the click.

If anything is hard to play with the metronome, slow the 'nome down until your comfortable, then speed up a little.
Quote by DiminishedFifth

Last edited by SilverDark at Feb 7, 2009,