Right now I'm playing on a low end Ibanez that I literally found, not terrible but not really good.

I have about 300-400 to spend and want something pretty versatile, mainly for ska and punk kind of stuff though.
fender jazz bass, almost every ska bassist in my area has used one for at least a few gigs without any complaints

and as a bassist in a punk band i can vouch for it's effectiveness in a punk setting
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
With the VM vs MIM it usually comes down to individual instruments, as opposed to the whole lines. But if you want to save some green and you find a VM jazz you like, go ahead. And IMO there is no bass that is limited to one genre. Most punk bass players use a P bass, but Klaus Flouride from the Dead Kennedys used a Jazz. And I think the guy from Sublime used a Stingray. Its about what works for you.
I'll probably end up going with a nice VM to save money, but I'll head down to GC sometime soon and try a couple out.

Thanks guys
I own a VM fretless Jazz, as you can see in my sig. It does fine for ska and punk. And it's fretless which makes it sexier than all hell. The ebonol neck doesn't bother me at all. I have really nothing to say about the pickups, I haven't had enough to compare them against, but they are Duncan Designed which I also have in my Schecter guitar so chances are they aren't that comparable to actual Duncans. So I dunno. Mine works fine for me. I love her.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I would say a VM Precision or a MIM Precision. With the exception of Klaus Fluoride and Mike Watt, the sound of punk to me is a Precision. It also works very well in ska, esp. first wave and 2 Tone.
I'm just gonna throw this one into the water here and say Warwick.

Streetlight Manifesto's bassist uses a Warwick and has to be one of the most influencical bassists on the Ska/Punk scene today.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman

Streetlight Manifesto's bassist uses a Warwick and has to be one of the most influencical bassists on the Ska/Punk scene today.

But you have to consider his budget and the fact that rockbass is diffrent from warwick.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by Jonnomainman

you have a very good point, warwick tone suites ska well.
it sounds alot like the more popular musicman.

but no punk could ever aford a warwick.
also warwicks are too nice to take to anywhere a REAL punk would go
Quote by alternitivebass
But you have to consider his budget and the fact that rockbass is diffrent from warwick.

There's always second hand/pawn shops/etc.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman

I had a nice conversation with Sid McCall A little bit ago about Streetlight and their gear.
Check out the sixth post for Pete's gear.
Also Chris Paszik used a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 as seen In this picture here.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Last edited by JF-SH1 at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by Jonnomainman

Oh believe me, he is.

He single handely inspired me to play bass.
Quote by Andrew128900
Oh believe me, he is.

He single handely inspired me to play bass.

Which one? Josh Ansley? Chris Paszik? or Pete McCullough? All three are great. And really it seems each time Streetlight replaces their bassist the new one is even better than last. Peter is better than Chris, Chris was better than Josh, and Josh was an all around badass on bass.

****, I love all three of them, they all have amazing bass lines throughout the whole albums, but I would have to say Paszik's Keasbey Nights recordings probably inspired me the most. Actually saw Streetlight live 2 nights ago, amazing show.
Nice. Paszik did an amazing job recreating the album. Damn man I don't get to see them until Warped Tour this summer.

Quote by JF-SH1
I had a nice conversation with Sid McCall A little bit ago about Streetlight and their gear.
Check out the sixth post for Pete's gear.
Also Chris Paszik used a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 as seen In this picture here.

Hey, that's me!

And here I am, like a fly to dog crap, reading you ska/punk thread! I say either a MIM/VM P bass with a Duncan QP pickup, or a VM/MIM Jazz Bass. Either one will be perfect for you. What's really important is the neck and all that, and how comfortable you are on the instrument. Go for feel first, then swap pickups to get the tone. This is one of those genres where you can really get the right tone with pickup/bridge/amp swaps. Good luck!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
P-bass-punkier sound
J-bass-skaier sound

your choice which tone you prefer sounding like.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Maybe you could find a used Aerodyne or P-Special? Anything with a P/J configuration would be a perfect match for you.
Nope, no sig here.
^ True that

TS, if you could find this anywhere, it would suit the vibe of both styles pefectly:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Zodiac-BXP-4-String-Bass-Guitar-Regular-Black?sku=512187

Edit: Definitely consider this. They normally go for $700-ish. The Offspring's bassist uses one and it sounds great.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-ATK750KA-Figured-Koa-Bass-Guitar?sku=516146

If you're looking for something a bit more modern, a Traben Neo would do the job. Likewise, if you want some retro style, check the Ibanez JTKB200. All of them would do well.

All that said, your tone really is in your fingers, so if you find a bass you like, and it's the exact opposite of what we're posting, it'll still work fine. These are just suggestions of what will be the easiest to blend with in those styles.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 9, 2009,
Quote by alternitivebass

Streetlight? Budget? I lol'd.

But seriously. Probably just try both out and see which one you like more. You can get either or tone out of both basses, it's more upto the feel by now.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Ibanez ATK
Fender P
Fender J

These are probably the best options within your budget.
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Im not a massive fan of the ATK, prefering Stingrays, to which end I'd happily suggest an OLP. My bass teacher used one for years before he bought a piezo Sray5 on holiday in the States.

The Squier VM Fretless would be an unusual choice, but could definately work. For the money its a good option, and check out Tony Franklin on YouTube or whatever for how to make fretless rock.

Much as people dislike the idea of them, the Squier signature models might be worth a look. The Frank Bello model is P/J although Im not sure if they're available sans skull motif, and Ive heard good things about the Dirnt model. Theres a PJ Special for 170 sterling...

Although Mike Watt uses a Gibson, he bins the pickups for Bartolinis, so i wouldn't get an Epiphone based on that, but they are worth trying.
Last edited by the_underling at Feb 9, 2009,
My fretless works perfectly for ska. Also it has really helped me improve with my accuracy and playing without looking. I have actually played her so much since I got her that it is harder for me to play a fretted bass! Ha ha ha. Some people would say to not get a fretless because you get a "weird tone", but you can easily dial in an appropriate setting so it sounds like a fretted bass. Squier VM Jazz Fretless, my favorite bass I've ever played, and I've played enough, from low end no names to thousand dollar Warwicks. Squier plays fine, not the greatest, but better than some MIM's. And everyone has preferences. Buy what feels good.

^To The_Underling: Do you need a Map of the Problematique?

Last edited by JF-SH1 at Feb 9, 2009,
Fretless could be a good option. "Alone in a Crowd" and "Keasbey Nights" (both by Catch 22) use a fretless bass, and it really adds a nice sound to it.
I think it really depends. You could go for a more traditional punk bass, or get something with a nice growl to it, like the fretless mentioned above, or a Jazz or stingray (Matt Wong plays a Stingray 5H). Stingrays especially always struck me as very ska, even before I knew Matt Wong played one. I don't really know why, though.
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
To which end you can invest in an OLP, which would actually be in the price range you mentioned. Or even a SUB if you felt like lashing out. Ive only played the OLP though, so I cant help with the SUB. But I think they've stopped making them.
Both OLPs and SUBs are discontinued. The SUBs are far superior to the OLPs though. OLPs and SUBS can be found on Ebay and used in shops; my local shop has a used SUB for under 400 USD right now, so deals can be found.
Quote by kugelspot
I think it really depends. You could go for a more traditional punk bass, or get something with a nice growl to it, like the fretless mentioned above, or a Jazz or stingray (Matt Wong plays a Stingray 5H). Stingrays especially always struck me as very ska, even before I knew Matt Wong played one. I don't really know why, though.

you know reel big fish isnt the end all ska band.

Traditional ska bands used to use jazz basses alot, sometimes standups even, because ska came from jazz and two tone bands used alot of jazz and P basses too. Modern 3rd wave ska uses a very wide varitey of instruments, ska can go from the skatalites to the flaming tsunamis and they use very different instruments. Stingrays are used alot as well for that thick humbucker tone too. Really with ska and punk there's no perfect tone for it. just different tones. SO what you should be doing is shaping your own tone.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120