Hey, my very first post in UG forums!

Anyhow, currently I own a Taylor Dreadnaught as an acoustic (obviously) and a PRS SE for a electric. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm in love with my PRS. It has a great, versatile sound range and just plays great, too. However, having only one electric guitar makes me feel limited to producable sounds.

So where else is better to look for advice than here?

I'm looking for a guitar, about the same quality of a PRS or Gibson/Epiphone, etc. I'd like it to be 600-1000 dollars (I can bend slightly over 1000), seeing as I only have one job. I'd like my next guitar to also have a "harder" sound than my PRS. I've looked at Strats, but I dislike tremolo guitars and it costs alot to get them custom without a whammy bar. And I just plain dislike the look of a Tele.

So yeah.. I didn't mean to give a life story lol, just thought I'd give as much info as possible. Oh yeah, and if the guitar comes in solid colors, i.e. something other than sunbursts and such, that is a big plus. And one last thing: No metal guitars, please, I'm not a fan. Sorry if that upsets anyone, but I like smoother-looking guitars.

Thanks!

-Evan
check out some of washburns models. they offer good guitars for decent prices, probably better than most of the foreign gibsons and fenders
Well, a Schecter C-1 Classic might have a harder sound, but it doesn't have a solid finish on it. But it isn't metal and it's really smooth looking, smooth playing as well.

An Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom may do the trick. But I don't know if they still make those.

EDIT: They don't make Elitist LPCs anymore
Last edited by jetfuel495 at Feb 7, 2009,
Schecter makes some nice non metal guitars. Alot of the C-1 Series, look at the C-1 Classic, Tempest Custom, Stiletto Classic (you can de-floyd it). But what stylings of music do you play? That helps alot with deciding between guitars.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Get an Ibanez RGA121. Amazing guitar. One of their prestige models. Costs $1030 with shipping from Musician's Friend if I remember correctly. Somewhere around there.
Quote by JF-SH1
Schecter makes some nice non metal guitars. Alot of the C-1 Series, look at the C-1 Classic, Tempest Custom, Stiletto Classic (you can de-floyd it). But what stylings of music do you play? That helps alot with deciding between guitars.
Well, it probably isn't metal, like he said, no metal guitars. Although maybe he likes metal but not metal guitars

Either way, that's two for Schecter
I checked his profile and it seems he likes alot of 60's and 70's. So here a few other suggestions that aren't schecter (but schecters are sexier than all hell)

Maybe a Fender Classic Player Jaguar Special? A Gibson Faded Flying V plays nice with a little set up. One of my friends owns it and it was always an ok guitar, I recently lowered the bridge humbucker for him and it is much better, playability and tone-wise. But he plays through a Spider III...

But also TS what amp are you playing through? A good guitar through a crappy amp is a sin.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Last edited by JF-SH1 at Feb 7, 2009,
I believe the Schecters and the Fenders are the best previously mentioned. However, you should look into Agile guitars. They're really great.

here is the website: www.rondomusic.com
In response to my admission of Virginity:
Quote by RPGoof
We're all virgins here, don't worry.
Yeah maybe I should've mentioned my genre-of-choice, that was foolish of me.

As JF said, I'm into classic rock. The Stones, Beatles, Aersomith, anything from the 60-70s basically. I do like some metal, just not that metal style of guitar, I should have clarified that, too.

I've looked at Fenders, and for now I've ruled them out. I could always go back to them though. As for Schecters, I've seen them before but don't really recall the look, I'll have to search for them a little later. The same thing with the Washburns, only I remember not liking them, for some reason.

I will look at the Ibanez too, my friend has one but it's a cheaper model so I guess it was a bad first impression lol.

And as for the amp, I have a Peavey Vypyr. It's my first amp so I started small at a 15W. I've seen mixed reviews about it, but I can't complain, it's a fine amp.

Thanks to everyone who has submitted suggestions to me, and to those who have yet to do so. It means alot to get opinions from a music-based community.

-Evan
We are happy to help. Your peavey is a good amp. Especially if you are just jamming by yourself. If you were gigging or jamming with friends or even practicing in a band I would say upgrade your guitar since that has more to do with your tone than your guitar usually does. So I think you've gotten some good suggestions

Schecter makes amazing guitars. My Gryphon is a tank! HH configs are great, and mine has a coil splitter! My guitar is amazing, I would honestly say buy it and swap the humbuckers and buy a decent amp. Here it is, you wish you had one.

Haha, yeah that is a sweet guitar. I think the Schecter C-1 has won this round, though. That is one b-e-a-utiful guitar.

Nevertheless, thanks for all of your input - they're all great guitars. But at the end of the day, only one gets my love . And at the end of this day it happens to be the C-1
model.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out, it is very greatly appreciated! I'll remember to post here now when I have a music-gear related question.
Quote by eGraham
So here's the guitar I'm looking at currently:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/6/6/475266.jpg

That's not bad for only $23 USD a month.

I've also seen other nice guitars, namely the Schecter Tempest Custom, the Michael Kelly Phoenix, and Michael Kelly Patriot Vintage. If you get a chance, I'd recommend giving those a look. They're pretty slick.

+1 on the Michael Kelly, also the Schecter C1 Classic.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

Quote by eGraham
Hey, my very first post in UG forums!

Anyhow, currently I own a Taylor Dreadnaught as an acoustic (obviously) and a PRS SE for a electric. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm in love with my PRS. It has a great, versatile sound range and just plays great, too. However, having only one electric guitar makes me feel limited to producable sounds.

So where else is better to look for advice than here?

I'm looking for a guitar, about the same quality of a PRS or Gibson/Epiphone, etc. I'd like it to be 600-1000 dollars (I can bend slightly over 1000), seeing as I only have one job. I'd like my next guitar to also have a "harder" sound than my PRS. I've looked at Strats, but I dislike tremolo guitars and it costs alot to get them custom without a whammy bar. And I just plain dislike the look of a Tele.

So yeah.. I didn't mean to give a life story lol, just thought I'd give as much info as possible. Oh yeah, and if the guitar comes in solid colors, i.e. something other than sunbursts and such, that is a big plus. And one last thing: No metal guitars, please, I'm not a fan. Sorry if that upsets anyone, but I like smoother-looking guitars.

Thanks!

-Evan

It doesn't cost more to get it without tremolo bar. I've seen them at gc without them. My MIM strat (which is a great guitar. maybe upgrade pickups with extra money?) doesn't have one. Or you can get one with one and just take it out
How about a Gibson SG Faded or a Epi Les Paul Standard/Custom with a pickup swap? You might be able to afford a Gibson LP Studio as well.
Well the thing is, if you take the whammy bar off you still have the bridge that comes with it, and that's my major pet-peeve. The type of bridges I go for are like the one on my PRS SE, where the strings wrap under it. It's both convenient and looks good (to me). The C-1 doesn't have a bridge like that, but I still like the way it's made.

As for the Epi. Les Paul, they're great guitars for both price and quality, but a good friend of mine who I play with alreay has one. And honestly, I think my PRS can cover that position. I've looked at Gibson SG's already as well.

But anyway I named a few guitars that I'm looking at, mainly the Schecter C-1. I might post a poll here later on tonight to get people's opinions.

Thanks again for all the ideas.
Have you considered something with a piezo floating bridge? May not be your cup of tea and in that price range you may have to look used. Great for beatles type stuff and classic rock. If your looking for greater range of tone this will certainly do it. Also, how many different pedals have you run with your PRS? I plugged my ML into a Mini POG a few weeks ago and the 12 string sound was pretty sweet. I realize my ML is considered a "metal" guitar, but there was nothing metal about the tones i can get using different modeling. Just throwing out other options.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by eGraham
Haha, yeah that is a sweet guitar. I think the Schecter C-1 has won this round, though. That is one b-e-a-utiful guitar.

Nevertheless, thanks for all of your input - they're all great guitars. But at the end of the day, only one gets my love . And at the end of this day it happens to be the C-1
model.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me out, it is very greatly appreciated! I'll remember to post here now when I have a music-gear related question.

Just a normal C-1?

If you want the beauty of a PRS (or close to it), get the C-1 Classic. It doesn't have active pickups like a normal C-1 does (which may or may not matter to you), but it has much nicer inlays, with much richer colors for the body.