I bought a marshall dsl 50 head to upgrade my spider as its about time I done so. Whenever I go to pretty much shred with the marshall im having trouble making the notes articulate. While with the spider I have no trouble with and things like pinch harmonics really come out as well. So whats up with this is it the fact the marshall doesnt have the gain the insane setting on the spider does? Could it be my Gibby's been at the shop for almost 3 weeks now and all I have to play the marshall with is an epiphone sg special with super low output pickups?
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
It's a combination of both.

Low output, low gain = quiet.

If your trying to play pinch harmonics... i find the louder the better.

so all this quiet is not good for your sound.
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer - White
PRS SE Singlecut
Fender Acoustic

Amps:
Crate head w/ POD preamp
Crate 120 watt POS
Crate Cab
The second part... And maybe you still haven't quite got the amp settings perfect.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Yeah im pretty sure (hoping) the second part has a lot to do with it as spiders are made to take pretty much anything and make the same tone.
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
The AY is a hot pup itss just I have not seen my guitar for like 3weeks its killing me...
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Most of the low end epis have really hot pickups in em actually. The ones that I took out of my LP100 were hotter than the ones in my standard model LP. But them being hot and cheap they lose alot of clarity.
Trust me these things suck they are way lower than the stock 490's my Gibson came with...
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
Usually, Gibson LP's are fited with burstbucker hums, so it's no surprise as to why the Epiphones might be slightly hotter. 490T is just the beginning. Explorers come stock with a 500T in the bridge and a 498R in the neck (if I remember correctly)