hello everyone,

like the title says im looking for a left handed guitar... im still new to playing, but i think its time i upgrade from my beginner $100 guitar,its made for rightys, so ive been playing everything backwards

im looking for a heavier guitar, with a thick sound, i have around $400-600 to spend on one, i guess if it matters my biggest influences in playing have been Chuck Shuldiner and Dave Mustaine. yeah i know 2 completely different sounds, but i tend to like chucks style more when it comes to me playing, i hope that helps.
i assume you mean upside down, i started playing guitar the same way. 2 weeks in i realized i read the tabs wrong.
Also id recommend Schecters, im pretty sure the Blackjack is in the price range, if not a C-1
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
Quote by Tyranus-3121
i assume you mean upside down, i started playing guitar the same way. 2 weeks in i realized i read the tabs wrong.
Also id recommend Schecters, im pretty sure the Blackjack is in the price range, if not a C-1

ROFL i love that story....

why dont you jsut re-string it lefty, thats what hendrix did. he played righty strats.
Try adding more delay.
Quote by telecastrmastr
ROFL i love that story....

why dont you jsut re-string it lefty, thats what hendrix did. he played righty strats.

I thought Jimi actually didn't restring his guitars to lefty.
But yeah, I would advise it. Much more logical.

I'm lefty as well, and I'm hoping to buy the Ibanez GRG 170 DX off of a friend when I get some money together.
Check out the reviews on UG, they're pretty damn positive for a 250 euro's guitar.
There is a yellow peavey tracer on ebay right now....excellent American made guitar. Should be worth $100-150.

- Jesse
Lefties Unite!
Schecters. They are great quality guitars for their prices, and about 90% of their models that come in right handed also are produced for left handed.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/

Just look around for something that suits you, and after you find some models, google them for prices.

I'm a lefty, and Schecter definitely has the advantage when it comes to selection. There's a lot of left handed Schecters around your price range, too. I'd recommend the C-1, but check out the site to see what suits you best.
BTW NEVER EVER restring a right-handed guitar backwards. It goes out of tune in 5 minutes and it reacts weirdly to pedals... Just buy a left-handed...
Quote by Dream Floyd
BTW NEVER EVER restring a right-handed guitar backwards. It goes out of tune in 5 minutes and it reacts weirdly to pedals... Just buy a left-handed...

Not if you replace it with a left handed nut, set intonation up, and have good tuners.
I'm left handed and went through a similar thing a couple of years ago. I really recommend trying as many guitars as you can, even right handed ones. You'll get an idea of weight and how comfortable the neck is if nothing else. If you want to hear how it sounds then I'm sure the shop owner will happily show off what he can do for you. It really helped me make my decision. Once you feel you have made a decision, shop around online for a good price and there you have it.

Also look at right handed guitars. Manufacturers modify their catalogue every year so there's a bunch of brand new but discontinued guitar floating around on various online shops. Do some research and shop around, you'll find something.

Here's some basic stuff I'm sure you know. If you want a thick sound then usually people go for large mahogany bodies with a fixed bridge. You know... Les Pauls, SGs, Explorers etc. You've got loads of choice there since nearly every guitar company produces some kinds of copy of these models. Although neither of the guys you mentioned use mahogany, one uses alder and the other uses basswood.

The guys you mentioned also use very high output pickups so that's something to consider too. Companies which tend to have all these features are companies like LTD/ESP, Dean, Schecter etc. Companies that market themselves towards the metal crowd.
Yeah but then it's not the effort darkcheef
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Being lefty what you'll be able to lay your hands on to try out is going to be limited. EPI LP standards ,Fender MIM Strats and Teles (if your lucky U.S.A. models) an Ibanez RG370 DXL.
Unless you live in or close to a big metropolitan area you will not be able to see what PSR,ESP,Schecter,Jackson or Hagstom et al have to offer lefties.
What ever you chose ,take your time and buy when you are satisfied with your pick.
I went through the same thing, though I refused to re-string a righty because... I don't know, I just didn't want to . I looked at a lot of guitars, and ended up settling on a MIM Tele. It's fantastic, well built (one ding on the neck, but it's hard to see), sounds great. I don't know if it can get the heavy sound you're looking for, but it can get a real nice rumbling distortion (just listen to Bodysnatchers by Radiohead).

Other than that, maybe look at a few Ibanez's, though they have hit or miss quality from what i've heard. You could also try an Epiphone Dot. Queens Of The Stone Age used it around 2005, it can get a nice heavy sound, though you may not like hollow body guitars, it's a matter of preference. I'd say take these, and any other suggestions you may get, make a list, then go to a store and try them out and see what you like. Different guitars go with different people, it all depends on what you like in an instrument.
I know it can be a pain to get lefty guitars. I would say a nice epi for your budget, but epis have to be played to get a good 1 not an option with lefties. As you never see 1 epi lefty in a store much less several to test. Some rave about the agiles and they have quite a few in lefty. For your budget you could get a warmoth guitar as long as you layed off the fancy options. Then you could get the good pickups you want vs swapping stock ones on a store bought guitar. And there are lefty trems available if you want a trem.
Quote by Tackleberry
I know it can be a pain to get lefty guitars. I would say a nice epi for your budget, but epis have to be played to get a good 1 not an option with lefties. As you never see 1 epi lefty in a store much less several to test. Some rave about the agiles and they have quite a few in lefty. For your budget you could get a warmoth guitar as long as you layed off the fancy options. Then you could get the good pickups you want vs swapping stock ones on a store bought guitar. And there are lefty trems available if you want a trem.

A left handed agile dauntless is better than a left handed epi

http://www.rondomusic.com/dauntlesssbd2tsleft.html

$290
Quote by darkcheef
A left handed agile dauntless is better than a left handed epi

http://www.rondomusic.com/dauntlesssbd2tsleft.html

$290

you sir, are a agile promoting dick.
xDD
,but seriously
u could always try it "right-handed" or buy right handed guitars
,swap nuts and do the hendrix
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Ive never played an agile so I cant speak for their quality. And my post did say as he isnt likely to be able to play the epi before purchase its not a good way to go. Im not sure why everybody says just switch lefty to righty like its really that easy. If it was his first guitar then I might say try and see if it works. But to learn to play 1 way then start all over again only to maybe find out later you just cant play righty. And flipping em sucks to, Ive played that way but hate it.
By the way, i'm not sure if they'll do this at the store near you, but when I got my guitar, I had them order it in, then I tried and, and if I didn't like it I would've sent it back. I liked it so I didn't have to, but the option was there. So, even if the store doesnt have the model you want in lefty, you can have them bring it in from a different store.
good luck finding the lefty you want in stores. What i'd suggest is find a lefty guitar you like, get a friend or clerk to play the right handed version of it to see if you like the sound and then order it. Schecter is a good brand to look into IMO.
IM A LEFTY!

-Schecter C-1 classic
-Fender standard strat
-Peavey Vypyr 75w
-Sanpera II
-Yamaha FG720SL acoustic