I'm considering coil splitting the pups on my Explorer, and was debating whether I wanted to split them both, or just one of them. Or split them both, but seperate push/pull pots for each pup. It's got the SD JB/Jazz combo in it. What do you guys think would sound best. And yes, I know I won't get a convincing single-coil sound out of this, but I still want some tonal options.
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Schecter C-7 (old 90s style headstock)
Handbuilt 6-string V
Handbuilt Baritone scale 6 string Iceman-copy
Pod HD300
well I have a coil tap and I think it sounds pretty convincing if ask me and you should do both pick ups.
Hm. Should I wire it so I can split them individually? Or just one push-pull for both?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Individually makes it much more versatile.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Alright. Instead of push/pulls, I could get two mini switches. Which would work better? With the push/pulls, I wouldn't have to cut into the pickguard, but I would have a bit easier control with the switches. Also, where can I pick up some good 500k (or higher) pots?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Hmm...push/pushes would be the best of both worlds. Do they cost extra? And is there any difference in installation?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Eh, push-push pots don't enable you to see what you have selected. Push-pulls do. Push-pulls are easier to find and are installed the exact same way.

Don't judge me.
Wouldn't you be able to hear enough of a difference? And is there a difference between Tone and Volume pots?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
The way my Les Paul is wired, you get a coil split and a coil selector switch (so you get 9 switching options instead of 6) There's a diagram on it somewhere in the Ultimate Wiring Diagrams Thread in GB&C.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'll just stick with this for now, maybe adding the option to choose which coil later. And how would I go about wiring up a killswitch after all of that?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
Quote by Jango22
I'll just stick with this for now, maybe adding the option to choose which coil later. And how would I go about wiring up a killswitch after all of that?

Ultimate Killswitch thread.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I can get mini-switches for a lot cheaper than the push pull pots. Would I be able to use switches?
Gear:
Agile Ash RB 828
Handbuilt 6-string V
Pod HD300
The wiring would be tougher. The push pull pots are like 7 bucks. Is your budget really that tiny?

Don't judge me.
Quote by Jango22
Or split them both, but seperate push/pull pots for each pup.

might as well do that, if you have enough pots to let you.

also consider parallel wiring, but if you're after single-coil-alike tones, then splitting is probably a better idea. i prefer parallel (it's more usable, imo), but splits sound closer to single coils.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why wouldn't it sound convincing? Your essentially cutting your humbucker into a single coil, you may not get one like a CERTAIN single coil, but it will sound good.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
yeah, it sounds ok, just it generally doesn't sound as good as a "true" single coil, for several reasons...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, it sounds ok, just it generally doesn't sound as good as a "true" single coil, for several reasons...

That's what I was thinking.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
yeah. also if you don't have a "true" single coil guitar beside the one with splits, splits sound better, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You would always wire in LED's and use push push buttons to shwo you when its coil split.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ