Page 1 of 3
i dont know if im really allowed to do this, but i felt that a thread like this would be kind of cool. so basically, lets say you just went out on a trip to your guitar store and tried out some gear that you want to give your opinion on it, what settings sounded good, what tricks you used to make it sound better, etc... then post something in here. ill get us started.

i went to guitar center with my mate today, i played on some pretty awesome stuff. first off, a bogner alchemist: it was on top of the matching cabinet, and at first i was using a schecter diamond with duncan designed pickups. it sounded pretty good at first, pretty easy to dial in, had more than enough gain at 6-7, and responded well to both boosted-mid and scooped settings. good clean channel too. i also used an ibanez RG that had active EMG's put in, that juiced up the amp a little, and made it quite djenty in drop tunings, but added a bit of undesirable fizz.

next off, peavey 6505+ on top of marshall 4x12: sounded very heavy, but again a bit fizzy. i liked the preamp gain anywhere from 3-5, and the EQ pretty much flat, which a mid of mid cut, bass boost, and presence boost.

B-52 AT112: commonly suggested amp for any type of metal tone under a budget, and i agree with the hype. for 360, i dont think there are any high-gain amps more defined, tighter, bigger sounding, and louder than this guy. plus, it only got better when i put a way huge overdrive pedal infront to tighten it up.

anybody like the idea of the thread ?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I tried a jsx half stack with a schecter c1 classic and every channel sounded like sex.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
I just tryed a jcm900, and pooed my pants.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
I tried a Bugera 6262-212 120 watter this week and it was sick. Cleans were sweet and clear .The distortion was thick but not muddy, perfect. I swear I wanted to make love to this amp. I played it through a ESP kh202.
i think i might be going somewhere...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by endless_fight1
I tried a jsx half stack with a schecter c1 classic and every channel sounded like sex.

That must've been terrible, I wouldn't want my amp to go OHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSS on the lead channel...
Quote by Alexbear
That must've been terrible, I wouldn't want my amp to go OHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSS on the lead channel...

It was crazy man. I got so many weird looks.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
I played a Marshall 1987x 50 watt plexi through a marshall 1960tv cab at Italmelodie ( no GC in Canada).

First of all, I brought my guitar ( gibson es 339).

To start, I played the amp at 3. The cleans are pretty good, but the el34s are a bit too bright and tight for my liking. The bright channel is extremely bright, and the normal channel is pretty bassy, but sounds better than the bright channel. Now, these are classic rock amps, but I was getting a great jazz sound on the normal channel. On the bright channel, I Was getting Fender-type cleans, but with more low end. Now, these amps have no master volume, so at 3, it was very clean.

I then cranked the channels to 5-6. Now I know why there's a bright channel: overdriven, it sounded like heaven. I was getting bluesbreaker's era Mick Taylor sounds out of the bright channel, and Free era Paul Kossof sounds out of the normal channel!

Then, I got a jumper cable, jumpered the two channels and was almost blown of my seat. It was loud, but not painfully loud. The bass of the normal channel and the grind of the bright channel evened themselves out perfectly.

I then cranked the bright to 8 and the normal to 4 and got your typical classic rock, plexi tone. Very AC/DC ish, but with more bottom end and overdrive. I then removed the jumper cable and instantly got a Zeppelin tone out of the bright channel on 8.

I then came back to 3 and played some blues.

So, what have I done with one amp?

I went from jazz, to blues-rock, to classic rock, to hard rock, back to classic rock and to blues.

Anyone who says that these amps are one-trick ponies don't know what they're talking about.
I played a $200 BC rich through a MG100HDFX and it had CRUSHING OVERDRIVE
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
i tried out a traynor ycs50 ... i bought it!

nice thread idea
PEACE:]
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
demoed my friends tiny terror combo

summary:::
great bedroom amp
over priced
sounds phenomenal with a fulltone ocd as a clean boost
clean channel not impressive
noisy at high volumes
sexy looking

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Last amp I tried was a Matamp GT1.

The ultimate sludge rock amp doesn't even cover it.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I played a Peavey HP Signature EXP, Michael Kelly Hourglass Limited, and Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos all through a Peavey Vypyr. The Ibanez looked sweet but only played ok, but I personally was not fond of the sound, it sounded to neutral, and not nessicarily thin but lacking a low end. Its low end was a hiss instead of a nice crunch. The Michael Kelly sounded better than the ibanez but it wasn't anything special to play and i didnt much like the look of it, it didnt leave much of a lasting impression. The Peavey sounded the best imo, it had a good crunchy mid and low end, but had nice vocal like highs. I found the Peavey to have a better feel than the Ibanez and Michael Kelly... but I like thicker necks so that would have been the reasoning. The Peavey Vypyr had more than enough gain for me, and was ok at recreating a 6505+ sound.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I just tried out a Mesa F-50. Best amp for the price ive played to date to tell the truth. For a little 1x12 combo, it packed a serious punch. comes with verb too!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I tried out a Randall RG50TC Combo, and I was not impressed by it.
The cleans were decent, but the lead channel didn't give me enough low end, it was pretty muddy aswell on both gain types. I tested it with a Ltd EC400 with a EMG 81/60 combo.
Orange Enthousiast.
i like the idea of this thread simply because i posted a potentially controversial "i just tried____, here's what i thought" thread about the new marshall MG model just a little under 12 hours before this thread was posted

Other things i need to post though:

Fret-King Blue Label series:

Eclat 2: Pretty good. Great sound, although the bridge pickup was a bit harsh and chunky sounding (although i think this is just a general P-90 bridge pickup tone) for my liking. The bridge/neck and neck pickup combinations were lush though - incredibly good tone. The adjustable wrapover bridge is a neat feature. The ergonomic design of this guitar is pretty well done - the volume control positioning is perfect, you have to play it to see what i mean. The contours all add to the comfort, except the odd, "inverted" forearm contour which seems to force you to put your arm in a set position, which didn't really feel right to me - that design i can imagine is great for some, but not for others. Overall it's a pretty good guitar for someone who wants a great quality flat-top les paul style guitar at a reasonable price.

Esprit 3: This guitar just does it for me. I think it's brilliant. It's very similar, tonally, to the Eclat, although i much prefer the bridge pickup position of the Esprit. It's more shimmery sounding and less clangy. the addition of the middle pickup creates a nice range of tones, and makes any strat player feel at home. The pickup selection gives a very strat-like range of tones, but the mahogany body and P-90 pickups give it a much more ballsy overall sound. Though the shape is unconventional, it's actually very comfortable to play. It's quite a heavy guitar thanks to the thick mahogany body, but it's good to know the guitar is there when you're playing it! The neck is nice and thick and one of the most comfortable necks i've had to deal with. It has quite thick fret wire which is good for extreme string bends, and a 25" scale neck (I think??) which is very comfortable, and almost completeley unobstructed access to all frets - great playing guitar. The reverse headstock is a nice little touch, too. I've actually got one on reserve until i can pay for it, and the wait will be worth it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Well, I was at my local Long & McQuade the other day...

Dr. Z 18w Jr. Maz I think that's the name, anyways, haha. Wow. For an 18 watt 112 combo, this thing took me around the world. It got dirtier as I turned up the master volume, I could hear all of my playing nuances. Loaded with a greenback and some really sweet reverb. I would have bought it if selling my JSX head, 212 w/vintage 30s, and one of my Ibanez guitars would even pay for it, haha, but this little baby was about 2300 dollars.

Dunlop Slash Wah I was quite impressed with the vocal range on this wah. The fuzz was only really nice at low settings, but this thing blew my Vox 847 and crybaby original out of the water. It was 250 bones, but I'd be okay paying that if I used my wah more often.
Quote by random_B-RAD

Are you Zakk Wylde?
Quote by random_B-RAD

OMGZ R U THE ZAKK WYLDE!?
Quote by timzee117
demoed my friends tiny terror combo

summary:::
great bedroom amp
over priced
sounds phenomenal with a fulltone ocd as a clean boost
clean channel not impressive
noisy at high volumes
sexy looking

im pretty sure its a one channel amp...
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Quote by Horlicks
I just tried out a 1974x Bluesbreaker Original. I shat bricks.

You mean....from the late '60s?

Do elaborate!
My bedroom /home amp is a custom built point to point handwired class A ( i think ) Tube amp . mine is 3 watts . But the builder go up to 35 watts depending of the power tubes .

1x 6Aq5

1x 5687 power tube

2x 12ax7 Electro harmonix preamp tubes

its a high gain amp . when pushed in my bedroom ( 3 watts tube is still very loud but wont hurt your ears and my 35 watts celestion "break" perfectly so the sound come nice and im not going deaf . ) , it sound very nice . Master /gain /treble knobs .

its build in canada ( ontario) by a guy called randy ( his youtube username is Ontariomaximus ) for around 300 $ . im running it to a 4x12 marshall 8412 (valvestate cabinet from the 90s with Celestion g12l rated at 35 watts each ) and the sound is awesome .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhN0Y95UDAM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovs0s4T2AQM&feature=related

but even a 3 watts amp is too loud for a bedroom practice . . tube amp sound so good when the master is crank all the way . unfortunatly for a appartment even 3 watts is pretty loud .

at low volume it loose his magic a bit .

i havent tried any pedal yet on it . but i suggest checking with this guy if you want a custom build amp . very professionnal and the quality is top notch . for around 300 $ , you got a quality tube amp .
good idea for a thread. a lot of times people don't try out enough stuff to make a spam thread (or are too lazy), so this would work for those times.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I tried out a Vypyr.. and (blasphemy arising..) I thought it was pretty weak. No real low end to speak of on any of the settings. All of the cleaner settings were okay, a bit boring though and all the higher gain settings had a very similar sort of..mulchy tone with a fizz above it. I think it's an okay amp, kind of cool with all it's extra features as a bedroom amp.. but thus far massively overhyped.
Quote by TimmyPage06
I tried out a Vypyr.. and (blasphemy arising..) I thought it was pretty weak. No real low end to speak of on any of the settings. All of the cleaner settings were okay, a bit boring though and all the higher gain settings had a very similar sort of..mulchy tone with a fizz above it. I think it's an okay amp, kind of cool with all it's extra features as a bedroom amp.. but thus far massively overhyped.

+1.

I wasn't impressed at all with the vypyr. I'm pretty sure that some of the people who recommend it here have never even played one.

People were recommending this amp even before it came out.
Last edited by Mike! at Feb 8, 2009,
I dont think trying something one time in a store is enough to form a solid opinion of anything.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Quote by occub
I dont think trying something one time in a store is enough to form a solid opinion of anything.

i agree, but it's kind of a catch-22 situation- if i don't like it at the store, i'm not going to buy it...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TimmyPage06

Agreed. IMO, the Vypyr is a fun toy for someone just starting out but like most modeling amps, it's pretty pointless above 30w.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I tried a JVM205H with a Marshall 1960 cab at Guitar Center.

It is the best thing I have ever heard. It wasn't even cranked and it sounded great. I was on the orange channel with the master volume knobs somewhere I forgot.

As soon as I can get a job I will try my best to save up $3000. It is ****ing worth it. That amp gives me the sound I have always wanted.

I also bought a Marshall MS-2 that I planned to use with headphones. It sounded like absolute ****.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i agree, but it's kind of a catch-22 situation- if i don't like it at the store, i'm not going to buy it...

True..... just like loving it at the store only to return it in a few weeks or so. I like post- honeymoon reviews.
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
Quote by occub
True..... just like loving it at the store only to return it in a few weeks or so. I like post- honeymoon reviews.

yeah, exactly, that's the problem. i'm actually coming round to buying online, lol, with EU distance-selling regulations you have 7 days to return it for a refund if you buy something online or mail order, if you don't like it. though that brings its own problems, as it's a lot more bother to return it, and you might be out the postage.

hard to win them all, basically.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, exactly, that's the problem. i'm actually coming round to buying online, lol, with EU distance-selling regulations you have 7 days to return it for a refund if you buy something online or mail order, if you don't like it. though that brings its own problems, as it's a lot more bother to return it, and you might be out the postage.

hard to win them all, basically.

That's why I love Guitar Center.... 30 day return policy, plenty of time to get acquainted. I heard you guys across the pond don't have em, tis a shame.
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
Quote by tmfiore
I tried a JVM205H with a Marshall 1960 cab at Guitar Center.

It is the best thing I have ever heard. It wasn't even cranked and it sounded great. I was on the orange channel with the master volume knobs somewhere I forgot.

Hmmm interesting.....
Quote by davedoom
Hmmm interesting.....

I am confused as well.

Maybe it had the perfect EQ for that volume at that time.

Oh well, I will find out more once I can actually buy it.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore

Oh well, I will find out more once I can actually buy it.

Words of a soon to be poor and very regretted man.....i fear.

3k!? Are you utterly utterly mad?

There is so much better!
I tried out a Spider Valve with a Tele and a Dot the other day when I went to buy strings. It was pretty nice.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Page 1 of 3