I've got my JCM 900 open from working on another problem (which has been fixed), but now I figure as long as it's open maybe I should take a stab at fixing the 60 cycle hum issue it has.

I know my building's wiring is good and properly grounded. I even tried temporarily using a three-to-two power adapter to remove the center prong, and that didn't help anything. So I assume this is something inside the amp.

It occurs on both channels, but does go away when the amp is in Stand By.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
TV, Cell-phone, radio, etc.?
I'm sure I could be way off, but its worth double checking.

OH, are you running any pedals into your amp?
they could potentially be the cause.

Also, I doubt the hum is actually directly coming from the amp.
EDIT: But I could be wrong.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Last edited by Faux~Affliction at Feb 8, 2009,
Maybe a noisy preamp tube?
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
What kind of guitar? In my experience 60 cycle hum usually comes from single coil pickups and to a lesser degree, unshielded electronics in the guitar.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by theherodies
I even tried temporarily using a three-to-two power adapter to remove the center prong, and that didn't help anything

The third prong is a ground - those 3-to-2 prong adapters aren't very safe lol
The hum is there even without any guitar/pedals plugged into it, so I'm pretty sure it's something internal.

No cell phone, radio, or tv nearby - and I've experienced the same problem in every location I've tried in the last few months.

noisy preamp tube, huh? I could look into that I suppose. Would 60Hz be the correct frequency of hum I'd be hearing from something like that?

Thanks everyone for your help.
Quote by theherodies
The hum is there even without any guitar/pedals plugged into it, so I'm pretty sure it's something internal.

No cell phone, radio, or tv nearby - and I've experienced the same problem in every location I've tried in the last few months.

noisy preamp tube, huh? I could look into that I suppose. Would 60Hz be the correct frequency of hum I'd be hearing from something like that?

Thanks everyone for your help.

IF it is indeed a 60 cycle hum, it's likely a dirty/noisy power, ground or polarity issue
If you are from the states 60Hz is from the mains so it could be one of many things.earthing inside the amp, a broken connection, a power supply issue, microphony or shielding. Transformers delaminating etc.

Be careful, there are some nasty voltages inside anyn amp with tubes inside.