Basically, this is the setup I'm about to acquire piece by piece. I just wanted some suggestions on tweaking it, or suggestions for different equipment. I'm sure you get the whole idea of this thread. Some bands I play (i mainly just find my own sound and play it) in alphabetical order. AC/DC, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold, Bon Jovi, Boston, Bullet for my Valentine, Every Time I Die, Green Day, Guns N' Roses, John Mellencamp, Linkin Park, Metallica, Rage Against the Machine, and The Who.

As you can see, it gets pretty diverse at times. Now here is the PLANNED setup. If you mention anything that's in my sig besides what's mentioned here, or the guitars, I will have nothing to say to you.

Guitar: Check the sig.
Amp: Blackheart Little Giant (combo or half stack.. can't decide.. inform me of differences?)
Cables: Mogami Gold Plated cables, DiMarzio Patch cables.

Pedals:

Fulltone OCD or MI Audio Crunch box. (can't decide, OD/Distortion is important as I won't be able to crank the amp too much.

MXR 10-band EQ - I'm sure there won't be too many debates on this.

Boss CS-3 - Just to tighten things up a little bit.

Seymour Duncan SFX-01 - Packs that extra punch

Boss NS-2 - Only if neccesary. I know it tends to suck tones, but I can't stand extraneous noise. I've also heard good about the ISP Decimator.

If making suggestions, try and keep the budget as close to the original product as neccesary.

I'll edit if I see anything I forgot, or if somebody mentions anything. Enjoy.
Last edited by SchecterZV at Feb 8, 2009,
that sounds like a solid bedroom rig, maybe you should check out the Blackstar HT-5, they seem to be giving Blackheart some decent competition these days.

the NS-3 gets way worse reviews then it deserves, it does suck a little tone and sustain, but it's manageable.

the ISP Decimator is a much better pedal though
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by funkymonkz
that sounds like a solid bedroom rig, maybe you should check out the Blackstar HT-5, they seem to be giving Blackheart some decent competition these days.

the NS-3 gets way worse reviews then it deserves, it does suck a little tone and sustain, but it's manageable.

the ISP Decimator is a much better pedal though

A solid bedroom rig is what i'm going for. and yeah, I have heard some stuff about blackstar, but haven't looked into it yet, and i'll definitely be looking into the ISP a little bit more. Thanks for the input.
Quote by endless_fight1
Get cheaper cables.

well eventually hes gonna want to make the upgrade, and since he has the oppurtinity nao, he might as well.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
well eventually hes gonna want to make the upgrade, and since he has the oppurtinity nao, he might as well.

That was my process of thinking on that. Already spent the cost of those cables on cheaper cables that have pooped out.
I suppose. Is there a warranty on them? Oh and get the decimator.
Call me the rap assassinator. Rhymes rugged and built like Schwarzenegger
Quote by endless_fight1
I suppose. Is there a warranty on them? Oh and get the decimator.

On my monster cable there was, but I didn't like it anyways. It seemed like it added extra mids, idk. One cable I got for free when I ordered my guitar, it stopped working, but it was free so whatever. I have a livewire cable thats working fine but it's pretty short. Currently using that livewire cable and a cable that my local guitar shop makes.
If your looking for a nice OD/Distortion pedal try a Fulltone Fulldrive 2. Pricey but its freakin amazing.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by SchecterZV
There's no chorus pedal listed :P

Oh, whoops, I though the CS-3 was a chorus. Compressor, my bad. Eh, compressor's kind of a wank effect.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Oh, whoops, I though the CS-3 was a chorus. Compressor, my bad. Eh, compressor's kind of a wank effect.

I like the sort of tightening effect it gives. I feel it ties up the loose ends. I can understand why some people think it's a wank effect though
^ compressors dont cut dynamics as much as people think they do. in fact, your dynamics are really only killed if you set the thing up poorly. compression is a nifty little effect that you shouldnt notice too much if you do it right. if you turn the pedal on and really notice the compression, youve done it wrong. its more one of those things you dont notice when its there, but you notice the lack of it when it isnt.

also, id go for the dynacomp over the cs-3. or the super comp if you want the extra knob. liked the dynacomp a lot more than the cs-3, which is why i own the dynacomp. as for the eq, do you really need one? its one of those things i always wanted, then never really liked once i played around with one. i think they are nice if you really want to change your sound a bunch mid song on a one channel amp like the LG, but for a home rig im not sure id spring for one.
Quote by SchecterZV
Boss CS-3 - Just to tighten things up a little bit.

Boss NS-3 - Only if neccesary. I know it tends to suck tones, but I can't stand extraneous noise. I've also heard good about the ISP Decimator.

personally, i hate compressors. ditch the cs-3 and ns-3 and get the ISP Decimator instead.

mind you if you're not cranking the amp you're not gonna need a noise gate, even if you were i doubt you'd really need one
ISP Decimator is by far the better pedal, but i'd hold off buying it straight away. A lot of times they aren't needed as hiss/hum can be avoided in other ways.
Get everything else first and THEN decide if it's really necessary.

The Boss CS-3 isn't that great stock; you could mod it though or find much better for only a bit more money.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Feb 8, 2009,
Just to correct you guys, it's a Boss NS-2 , not NS-3.
Orange Enthousiast.
Quote by ChrisN
ISP Decimator is by far the better pedal, but i'd hold off buying it straight away. A lot of times they aren't needed as hiss/hum can be avoided in other ways.

The Boss CS-3 isn't that great stock; you could mod it though or find much better for only a bit more money.

good point, 90% of excess noise can be controlled by learning how to mute the strings you're not playing properly and turning your volume down when you're not playing
Quote by ChrisN

That's why I put only if necessary, never had experience with stuff like this.
The blackstar HT-5 is incredible by the way, it is a lot more versatile than the blackhearts. I played a blackstar the other day quite extensively so im not just going off hearsay.
Fender Deluxe Strat HSS
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Highway 1 Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Orange Rocker 30 Combo
Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Mayhem
Roland Microcube
Boss Micro BR
Korg Pitchblack
EHX Holy Grail
Hohner 3/4 Classical
Quote by PendulousThread
The blackstar HT-5 is incredible by the way, it is a lot more versatile than the blackhearts. I played a blackstar the other day quite extensively so im not just going off hearsay.

I've been wanting to look into them, thanks for the input on them
Quote by jof1029
^ compressors dont cut dynamics as much as people think they do. in fact, your dynamics are really only killed if you set the thing up poorly. compression is a nifty little effect that you shouldnt notice too much if you do it right. if you turn the pedal on and really notice the compression, youve done it wrong. its more one of those things you dont notice when its there, but you notice the lack of it when it isnt.

also, id go for the dynacomp over the cs-3. or the super comp if you want the extra knob. liked the dynacomp a lot more than the cs-3, which is why i own the dynacomp. as for the eq, do you really need one? its one of those things i always wanted, then never really liked once i played around with one. i think they are nice if you really want to change your sound a bunch mid song on a one channel amp like the LG, but for a home rig im not sure id spring for one.

I have a compressor, but it's probably true that I don't really know how to use, hence my dislike of it