hey guys

my guitar's fretboard is quite dirty and im gonna go clean it, just a quick q, will water dmg it? im gettin a cotton cloth and dampening it to wipe the fretboard, will this cause any damagE? i know lemon oil is the standard cleaner but i have none and dont really live near a music store

thx in advance
i never had a problem that one time when i used water, but i only used a tiny bit and i dried it straight after
Gear:

Jackson RR-3 Eerie Desert Swirl
Alden Warlord Guitar+Bass
Encore Strat
KTone Alpine White 6/12 Double Neck SG
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
It won;t hurt it as long as you don't get the cloth soaking. And just so you know, the lemon oil is basically "Pledge" in a small bottle.
if you can't get lemon oil, then take some water, take a lemon and squezze it in the water.my friends done it before, just make sure you don't soak it.
Gear:
Epiphone Sg-400 standard
Epiphone DR 100 VS
Fender FM 212
Boss ME-50
I believe it has the possibility to be harmful to unfinished fretboards (rosewood or ebony), but its fine for finished fretboards (maple or carbon-composite)
DO NOT use water or lemon juice. And lemon oil is not the same as pledge.
Lemon oil is fairly inexpensive. You can buy it at just about any place that sells paint. Use a toothbrush to scrub it into your fretboard. Then wipe off whats remaining with a rag.
Water will seep into the pores of the wood. If you were to continue to do this, over time it will rot your fretboard. Lemon juice will dry out the fretboard. Pledge/furniture polish will cause build up.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by seth's daddy
Lemon oil is fairly inexpensive. You can buy it at just about any place that sells paint. Use a toothbrush to scrub it into your fretboard. Then wipe off whats remaining with a rag.
Water will seep into the pores of the wood. If you were to continue to do this, over time it will rot your fretboard. Lemon juice will dry out the fretboard. Pledge/furniture polish will cause build up.

most helpful thing i read so far. cleared up about some confusion i had myself. hope someone doesn't come along and say its false
Just go to a guitar store and buy GHS Fast Fret for $10
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Hmm, just throwing this out there, what would happen if you put your guitar neck underwater ?
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
Quote by SpellCaster
Hmm, just throwing this out there, what would happen if you put your guitar neck underwater ?

Why would you want to?
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by SpellCaster

The wood would soak up water, which would cause it to expand. This can lead to warped necks. Any metal on the guitar won't expand, which can cause problems as well.
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Quote by Free to Guitar
The wood would soak up water, which would cause it to expand. This can lead to warped necks. Any metal on the guitar won't expand, which can cause problems as well.

Hmmm, interesting. I was hoping to have a concert inside the oncean for fish.

*Hope someone will get the reference.
Quote by Spellcaster
Yes I have sigged myself.
Don't clean it with water. Water + wood = bad combination. Ask it to anyone who lives in a house made of wood. Just get some lemon oil (you can order it online if you can't get to a guitarstore), it's just a couple of bucks.
Quote by SpellCaster
Hmmm, interesting. I was hoping to have a concert inside the oncean for fish.

*Hope someone will get the reference.

MURMAIDER MURMAIDER!!! lolz dethkloks =P
STRIKING MINORS
Quote by Free to Guitar

GO INTO THE WATER! LIVE THERE! DIE THERE!
Gear:

Jackson RR-3 Eerie Desert Swirl
Alden Warlord Guitar+Bass
Encore Strat
KTone Alpine White 6/12 Double Neck SG
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
Quote by seth's daddy

Lemon oil works fine though, and yes lemon oil and pledge are different I believe some chemicals in pledge can actually damage your fretboard.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor