Gday,

I have a Randall RG50TC tube amp, it is a relatively cheap amp, and it sounded just ok when i bought it. First i put in some JJ tubes, and it improved the sound a little bit. Next i bought a $200 FUlltone OCD Overdrive pedal. I was quite dissapointed, as the sound didnt change much at all.

I had been thinking of changing the speaker for some time, it came with a Celestion 70/80, which in Australia retails for about 130 bucks. I didnt think that i would notice much of a difference with a speaker change, especially since i had chosen to go with a Vintage 30 which retails for about 200 bucks, and is evidently not that much more expensive than a 70/80.

After installing the new speaker, i was absolutely blown away by the difference in sound. It sounded like a completely different amp. The other thing i noticed was that the effect of the o/d pedal was much more pronounced with the new speaker.

I found little info on the effects of a speaker change before i did it, and all the vids on youtube i couldnt really hear the difference, but the change is seriously unbelievable.

So i just thought id share my experience with this speaker swap, and encourage anyone with a cheaper tube amp to consider changing the speaker before messing around with tubes and o/d pedals, as i found this to be the best value mod, and it transformed my amp to a far greater extent than a tube change or adding an o/d.

Cheers
RG's & Mesa's
i like the vintage 30. its odd that you like the sound that much more immediately after the change as the speaker is in need of some breaking in... but hey good news it can only get better from there.
Epiphone les paul studio
Traynor YCS50
vox wah V847
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
squire strat- currently in process of getting custom finish!

gassing for warmoth build
yeah, people underestimate how much of a difference speaker swaps will make...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?