I heard that Pedalboards don't work on modelling amps and I have a Roland Cube amp? Please go into detail about this and what Modelling amps are. I heard if you put it on clean and use the pedal it works. But will a Digitech RP500 work?
Thanks
Ok thank you I was so confused I thought I had to sell my amp and get a new one just so I could use the pedal board.
Thanks
I think modeling amps are the ones that have a lot of effects built into them. The only one that comes to my mind right now would be Line 6 Spider.
I dont think Roland Cube is a modeling amp tho. Doesnt it only have a clean and dirty channels?
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
I think modeling amps are the ones that have a lot of effects built into them. The only one that comes to my mind right now would be Line 6 Spider.
I dont think Roland Cube is a modeling amp tho. Doesnt it only have a clean and dirty channels?

There are lots of cube models, some of them are modeling amps, some aren't. I think.
I have a cube street and my crybaby and boss os-2 work just fine. It sounds better on the blackface than JC clean. I think the blackface is modelled on the fender amps in the sixties.

ANd if you really don't like it, there's a setting where it goes straight to the speaker, and theres no modelled tones.
So in order to use the pedal I want to get do you think it would be best if I trade my amp in and get a non modelling amp? And how can you tell if they are one or not?
Thanks
If your going to get the most out of your pedals you want something like a Valve Junior or Blackheart. Step away from the SS altogether. Once you do, very few ever go back. My Pod and single pedals control almost everything on my VJ and it's a great bedroom practice setup and good jamming with friends. If you think your going to gig look at higher wattages Like a blues Jr or Delta Blues, Classic 30 etc. Your budget should be your compromise.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I have a budget of around $200-$300 possibly more. I liked how my Roland Amp was small and compact. So I would preferabbly like to get a small and compact amp as well. I just need it to be loud enough to be heard over drums and thats really it.
Quote by scott58
If your going to get the most out of your pedals you want something like a Valve Junior or Blackheart. Step away from the SS altogether. Once you do, very few ever go back. My Pod and single pedals control almost everything on my VJ and it's a great bedroom practice setup and good jamming with friends. If you think your going to gig look at higher wattages Like a blues Jr or Delta Blues, Classic 30 etc. Your budget should be your compromise.

Doesn't using a modelling pedal (Pod) on a tube amp defeat the purpose?
Gear:
.Fender Classic Series '70s Stratocaster
.Peavey Classic 30
.Xotic BB Preamp
.MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
.Vox V847A Wah
.Boss RC-2 Loop Station
.Washburn WI-24 (first guitar )
Quote by RyanDV

No, most of the 'tube' sound comes from the power amp.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by RyanDV

Not to my ear. My Vj takes to amp modeling like it was made for it. I have yet to hear a modeling amp i like better then my POD/Vj. This is a hybrid setup basically. POD makes a great preamp and Vj supplies the 12ax7 and el84 tubes and it really brings the POD to life. The stuff I don't like from the POD (don't care for the tubescreamer voicing for example.) I turn off and have a dedicated pedal. I like this alot better then the PA I was running through in most cases with the exception of stuff like the jazz chorus and cleaner amp models. For those I just a/b back into my PA and i'm still good to go, but Plexi's, Bassman and stuff like that the Vj really shines.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I've got a VOX AD50, best modeling amp I could find for the price. The effects built in are really great and you have any tone you want, but some more pedals can really help you out if you don't like them. I've used Wad pedals and an Ibanez Chorus/ Flanger through it no problem at all.
How can you know if an amp is a modeling amp? I was looking at other amps but none of them say modeling. I just really want to get the Pedal Board working on a good amp, and I don't care if I have to trade in my Roland amp.
Quote by RyanDV

Yes it does. Tubes color the sound. You want something transparent. That's why many people who use modellers choose PAs. You want something very clean like a JC-120. The modellers are made to "replicate" certain sounds, but you'll only get that sound if you start on a blank slate. For example, if you have a 5150 and a GT-10, you can never get any of the preamps to sound properly because the preamp on the amp colors the tone. You are running the two preamps at the same time. Anything with tubes will color your tone.

Quote by Splagl
How can you know if an amp is a modeling amp? I was looking at other amps but none of them say modeling. I just really want to get the Pedal Board working on a good amp, and I don't care if I have to trade in my Roland amp.

All you need is a good transparent clean channel
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Feb 8, 2009,
I find that my pedals sound terrible on my Vypyr. I just stick with the on board effects, they sound pretty good anyway.