I've come to realize that, even after trying to learn solos from other songs, all of my solos, for lack of a better term, end up sounding...happy.

I've learned most of the positions of the major scale and the pentatonic scale but not much beyond that...is there something I'm doing wrong? I can't seem to make a solo that sounds, let's say, br00tal. All of my solos seem uplifting.
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
I bet you could play the same thing with different phrasing and it would sound completely different.

even just changing a couple major resolutions could change the feel completely.
███████████████████████████████████
learn minor scales
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
locrian mode of the Hungarian minor!
Quote by Stress Cow
You know you're fucked up when the pit thinks you're a sick bastard.
Use some harmonic minor, that sounds sad, and just throw notes from the Aeolian into your pentatonics.

Some of the theory guys will probably shoot this down, but it sounds alright to me :P
It's got nothing to do with what scale you use, it's about the individual notes and particualr intervals you choose from within that scale, but more importantly how you arrange them and how you physically articulate the notes. If you keep throwing staccato major thirds, 5ths and octaves into your soloing chances are it's going to sound happy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 8, 2009,