The head I'm looking into getting is a Hartke 2500 and I was looking into a Hartke cabinet to go with it, but none seem to match with the watts the head produces with the cabinets they offer, so I'm trying to find a good match with another brand because I really like that amp head. Thanks.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Are you wanting the full 250W? Your best bet is two cabs, unless you get a fridge like a 215 or 810. If you just get one small 4-ohm cab, you lose the ability to upgrade later and the end product won't be nearly as loud. (or imposing)

Ashdown and Kustom, and Acoustic have similar cabs the lower end of MF's price range. I don't know from experience, but based on what I've heard Kustom would be the best match tonally.

Here's what they've got on Musician's Friend:
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/bass-amp-cabinets?N=100001+338528&Ntk=All&Ntt=kustom&Nty=1

That 215 is an awesome deal...it's from their upper end of cabs, nit the Deep End stuff. It's 8-ohm, so you could throw a 410 on top of it and have a monster of a rig.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 8, 2009,
I've just been on the site link. There are plenty of cabs you can use from Hartke there. The amp produces 250W into 4ohms, 180W into 8 and (probably) 90W into 16. The power supply is limiting the input into 4ohms so don't run it into 2ohms.

Speakers only damage transistor (solid state) amps if the ohms are too low. Amps damage speakers if the watts of the amp are too high.

An amp can produce 1.414 times the rated power if it runs into distortion so it is a good idea to use speakers rated 1.5 times the rated out of the amp. 100W amp-150W speaker etc. you need 300W+ at 8ohms or 350W+ at 4 ohms to go with this amp.

Some manufacturers build this safety margin into their quoted figures for speakers and others exagerate their specs to make them sound like a better buy than they really are.

I had a 2x15, the proverbial fridge, you really don't want to have to carry this by yourself up a flight of stairs. I'd go for either a 4x10 or a 15 and add a second cab when I was ready for a change. You will be plenty loud enough.

Have a look at my article on matching amps and speakers
Mutant Corn, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge. Great suggestions, that 4x10 Kustom looks great.

Phil Starr, I'm 2/3's of the way through your article and it is incredibly useful. So for a 250W amp I'd be very fine at 375+W range? I was originally considering a HX 115 or a VX 410, so I guess I could get two 1x15's if desired, one now and one later if I started playing at gigs.

I always love responces like these, they make me feel good and much smarter afterwards
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
One now and one later looks like a great idea. I've got a 1x15 and will get a 2x10 or 4x10 when I can afford it. Punch and growl! The 1x15 is plenty for gigs of 200 people.
I think that MutantCorn was talking about the 2x15

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Groove-215H-Enclosure?sku=480757

THAT seems like a great deal.
It's cheaper than the 4x10 and 1x15.

It's the Groove Series, which is higher end than the Deep End

That 2x15 sounds much better than the 1x15 and the 4x10.

If I had the money, I would definitely grab that.

EDIT: DAMN ! I really want that!!!
Last edited by gwath42 at Feb 8, 2009,