I'm havin some problems in my search for my first 'real' amp. So far I've went through a Cheap B-52 stack (took it back to G.C. exchanged it for...) a peavey JSX 2x12 (blew up a month after I got it) and now a Bogner Alchemist (will be returning soon not enough low end response for me, I guess muddy or mushy would describe it). I want a new decently varsitale amp thats suited for heavy rock and a S.S for reliablity, so after tons of research the Fender Metalhead seems to be perfect for me. Unfortunately I am only 19, and it would completely drain my life savings to buy it. So I need to hear from you guys that have had these or spent a lot of time playing on one before I do. Does it have GREAT low end crunch for hard palm mutes in dropped tunings? thats huge to me. Can it do lighter stuff decently well or is it a one trick pony? AND, how hard is it to carry around? Any advice is greatly appreciated
Last edited by X TG X at Feb 9, 2009,
I personally think that a Marshall Mode Four is better than a Fender Metalhead, but I'm not really sure why you'd want either.
B-52s aren't known for reliability and you probably got a dud JSX.
What about a Krank? They sound perfect for you, although you gotta try before you buy.

Or if you must have SS, go for a SS Randall. They sound perfect for you (hey, if it's br00tal enough for Dimebag it's br00tal enough for anyone).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by X TG X
I'm havin some problems in my search for my first 'real' amp. So far I've went through a Cheap B-52 stack (took it back to G.C. exchanged it for...) a peavey JSX 2x12 (blew up a month after I got it) and now a Bogner Alchemist (will be returning soon not enough low end response for me, I guess muddy or mushy would describe it). I want a decently varsitale amp thats suited for heavy rock and a S.S for reliablity, so after tons of research the Fender Metalhead seems to be perfect for me. Unfortunately I am only 19, and it would completely drain my life savings to buy it. So I need to hear from you guys that have had these or spent a lot of time playing on one before I do. Does it have GREAT low end crunch for hard palm mutes in dropped tunings? thats huge to me. Can it do lighter stuff decently well or is it a one trick pony? AND, how hard is it to carry around? Any advice is greatly appreciated

the head is like 50lbs/25kg, cab is 100lb/50kg.
it's heavy.

It's a fender. has good cleans. it does low end crunch pretty great. depends what pickups you have and what you have the EQ set to.

it's all opinion in the end. go play one if you can
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
yeah i've looked at Randall's but I'm gonna go with somethin new and the only randall's in my price range are hybrids and I've read waaay more bad reviews on them than the MH's. I can't find anyone in my area who has a MH, nor any Randall's. But someone thats actually tweaked with one of these MH's for a while, can you only get one type of distortion like you get with most metal pedals? (fuzzy overkill gain) cuz i play stuff like System of A Down, Godsmack, Killswitch Engage etc and I wanna be able to dial in a cleaner but powerful distortion. Thats my main concern of this amp. As far as pickups I have a Dimarzio D-sonic bridge and a breed neck, which offers quite a lot of versatility in my guitar alone. Oh and on the Kranks, honestly I think they are just ugly.
Buy a Line 6 Vetta or HD147. Go used and you can get them pretty cheap, and they sound better than any amp you're currently considering ever could.

Either that or find an Ampeg VH-140C.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well I just bought the MH with a matching 4 12 cab all brand new for under a grand. I should have it in a week or so, so i guess i'll see what its got soon.
Whatever. The fact that you ignored Kranks just because you thought they look ugly leads me to think that you don't know much anyway.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Get a Line 6 vetta or maybe an Ampeg VH140C if you MUST get a SS if we can persuade you differently I would say get a 5150 it's the good old high gain workhorse
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by X TG X
well I just bought the MH with a matching 4 12 cab all brand new for under a grand. I should have it in a week or so, so i guess i'll see what its got soon.

Way to post a thread and not even listen to anyone's suggestions
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by shadow__666
Or if you must have SS, go for a SS Randall. They sound perfect for you (hey, if it's br00tal enough for Dimebag it's br00tal enough for anyone).

Randall: The amp that outlasted Dimebag
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Tell everyone how it is so we can recommend it to future people who will ignore everyone's suggestions
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
hey i got it new for half price i think its worth trying. i can probably make money on it if i don't like it. And how can you rip me for not listening when you all have been suggesting a bunch of tube amps or amps made 20 years ago (ampeg VH140) when i said i wanted new SS. And I know its stupid to not consider Krank because of its looks, but I just could not be happy with something that looks like it should be a kids toy. I will tell let the ones of you who are not tube snobs know how it is. Thanks
not sounding like a fool but with the alchemist.. if you wern't happy with bass couldn't you have like bought an EQ pedal?
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
Quote by X TG X
hey i got it new for half price i think its worth trying. i can probably make money on it if i don't like it. And how can you rip me for not listening when you all have been suggesting a bunch of tube amps or amps made 20 years ago (ampeg VH140) when i said i wanted new SS. And I know its stupid to not consider Krank because of its looks, but I just could not be happy with something that looks like it should be a kids toy. I will tell let the ones of you who are not tube snobs know how it is. Thanks

I don't know how the old the Ampeg is...but why would it matter? If it sounds good, it sounds good, period.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't know how the old the Ampeg is...but why would it matter? If it sounds good, it sounds good, period.

Agreed.

Oh well, too late now...
I don't doubt at all that the ampeg sounds good, most likely better than the MH. But I was trying to find something I could swap my Bogner for at guitar center, since thats where i bought it, so the ampeg wasn't an option. I will probably make do with the head for a few months while i look for one or MAYBE even get a Randall hybrid or Marshall tube head to go with the MH cab. I've heard the cabs are pretty nice so I'll probably keep it. Thanks for the ampeg suggestion though. i didn't know anything about them and from what i've read they sound killer.
You know that Peavey amps come with a 5 year warranty right?
I think you missed the boat with the JSX.
Now you're stuck in a dingy.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Yes i know that, but i did take care of it properly before it starting blowing and the nearest repair shop was an hour away, and backed up with work for 3 weeks. The JSX was definately better all around than the Bogner, but I think i'm gonna have to have a stack to get the low end crunch I'm looking for.
I took care of it properly, however it had been in guitar center for several months with people not letting it warm etc so it was prob already not in great shape. What combo you talking about?
^There's a JSX combo. Also, warming it up isn't that big a deal - it's not going to kill a tube amp. Some tube amps don't even have standby. Besides, tubes can be replaced. Preamp tubes are a snap to do on your own, and Peaveys have a fixed bias - all you have to do is order the correct type of tubes within the acceptable range.

The only way (most common way...) it's going to blow up is if you use the wrong cable, or don't have a load for the head to dump the power into. In other words, you weren't using speaker cable, or you didn't have a speaker cabinet plugged in when you turned it on.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 10, 2009,
I had the combo mr. sir. I didn't know you were talkin about a JSX. And again, I know how to take care of an amp. It blew because the one I had was apparently a p.o.s. Not saying that they all are.
Well I got it in Friday and I've played it alone and with my band enough to form an opinion. I love it. Distortion is a lot less fuzzy than I was expecting for a metal amp, less fuzzy even than the JSX and pretty much every Peavey amp I've played. Very ballsy and seems much easier to control and less prone to feedback than the tubes I"ve played. Blows the JSX away as far as distortion goes. And it does that low end crunch that i've been searching for perfectly. Also has better built in effects than any amp I've had. Tight drive sounds good for only certain stuff like some classic rock, but clean channel and loose distortion are versatile and sound amazing. This thing paired with my D Sonic Dimarzio pickups makes the perfect sound for me. Its not for everyone of course, but I'm going to be happy with it for a while. Head may be repaced later just to try something else, but I'll probably keep the cab forever.
Last edited by X TG X at Feb 15, 2009,
If you're not a troll, hope you like it.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."