Page 1 of 2
ok. so i went to the music shop here in town and the guy says that jackson is made by fender right. then i get on here and ask if i should get a kelly or a dinky. but everyone i talked to says that it would be just like getting a Squier strat. i disagree is a jackson an all around better guitar would you say or what?
oh yeah everything in the store was fender and jackson thats why i ask was he just tryin to make a sell or should i listen to the professionals? plz answer all qs thanks alot
Well, it depends on what model jackson it is. They have some lower end models that are plain ****. The higher-end stuff made in Japan and America will usually be pretty kick-ass unless you get a lemon. Oh, and for future reference, never listen to other peoples' opinions when it comes to deciding your gear. Play what you like and tell everyone else to f*ck off.
thanks man.. i played the dinky style jackson i cnt member what it was called but i played it on the marshall half stack they had there and just fell in love...so lightwieght... 24 frets beautiful colors oh boy...and the kelly was just black... would price help?
Jackson are owned by Fender, but they still have all the attributes which make them awesome, although old Jacksons were better... But a Jackson is still a Jackson, and a Fender is still a Fender...

And I agree, don't take others opinions, try it for yourself, use others as advice.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I'm assuming the models you played on were the mid-range (near $700-$800). If I'm correct, those should be pretty good if you just look for one that really plays well. Oh, and please tell me the marshall you were playing on wasn't an MG....
yeah ok....they were 350 to 400 dollar range...but they were ****ing great! had those jackson emg pickups that they make...oooo it was gorgeous i love playin metal too so i hope that helps
It depends on what your looking for. Once you get into Jackson's equivalent of the MIM and Highway One Fender's, they are more or less the same thing, only one is much more metal-oriented. But saying a MIM Roadhouse strat will kick a DKMG's ass every time is a daft statement. Try them out and see what you like.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
It basicly works like this...

Jackson is owned by fender but jackson still makes the guitars, they just sell them to fender who distributes them to stores.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
ahh i see...but the type of my music ne jackson would be better than any fender correct?
Quote by SGSquierMan
ahh i see...but the type of my music ne jackson would be better than any fender correct?

Kind of....

Tecnicly you can play any style of music with any guitar, just get something you like.
Generally Fenders are king in the jazz/blues/rock/other low gain stuff. And Jackson is more hard rock and metal, not to say they cant do jazz and stuff like that well.

Personally I think you should look at other brands too, like ibanez and schecter
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by SGSquierMan

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. First, you never listed your music here or in your profile. Second, I'd take a HSS strat over an HSH Jackson any day; Fender necks appeal to me more(though that's something you should sit down and decide for yourself), and the single-coils will work much better for cleans than the humbuckers. It really depends on what you answer the first with.

An old 1980's Fender MH strat will kick most modern Jackson's asses at metal. As would a Dave Murray strat. I'd personally take a Jackson Adrian Smith Dinky over most other guitars in that range though, and I'm not much of a metal guy too.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
I wouldn't go as far as saying that. First, you never listed your music here or in your profile. Second, I'd take a HSS strat over an HSH Jackson any day; Fender necks appeal to me more(though that's something you should sit down and decide for yourself), and the single-coils will work much better for cleans than the humbuckers. It really depends on what you answer the first with.

Agreed, sometimes I just sit there and rub the neck on my strat because it's so comfy.................
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
yeah i got a fender strat and im not to impressed with the sound and ibanez just have ****ty warrenty.. here in montana where i live they have jackson shops and if ANY thing goes wrong with it theyl fix it then and there and these guys are pros at it and a jackson just sounds good when i play pantera or metallica and **** like that ya no?
Well, you didn't really answer the question, you just said it played metal better, which is a given with single-coils vs. humbuckers. What music do you generally play?

Quote by SGSquierMan
yeah i got a fender strat and im not to impressed with the sound and ibanez just have ****ty warrenty.. here in montana where i live they have jackson shops and if ANY thing goes wrong with it theyl fix it then and there and these guys are pros at it and a jackson just sounds good when i play pantera or metallica and **** like that ya no?

Warrenty isn't something you should have to worry about lol, guitars are pretty damn durable. I can't think of a single thing that could go wrong with a guitar that couldn't be easily fixed with 5-10 bucks and an online guide. (Excluding a broken neck and trem)

I'm just saying, go with a guitar that sounds good to you. There's no worse feeling then spending a bunch of money on a guitar and then 3 months later finding one you like more.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
i play like thrash metal and heavy metal. metallica. pantera. slayer. slipknot. the odd one out...theory of a deadman lol i love those guys....not in a creepy way tho lol. can you guys see my gear when i write back? i cant but i can see yourguyses
Quote by SGSquierMan
i play like thrash metal and heavy metal. metallica. pantera. slayer. slipknot. the odd one out...theory of a deadman lol i love those guys....not in a creepy way tho lol. can you guys see my gear when i write back? i cant but i can see yourguyses

Aye, the Jackson would be better tonally, but you can always buy a prewired HHH pickguard for the strat and drop it in, so I'd recommend going off feel insted of tone when you buy the next guitar.

Quote by necrosis1193
Aye, the Jackson would be better tonally, but you can always buy a prewired HHH pickguard for the strat and drop it in, so I'd recommend going off feel insted of tone when you buy the next guitar.

Not that simple, Mexican strats are routed for HSS so he would have to take a drill bit to the guitar too if he was to go the second option
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
yeah i just dnt like the feel of the strat...it was my first guitar i love it but its not fast enuf ya no? not a good enuf neck
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Not that simple, Mexican strats are routed for HSS so he would have to take a drill bit to the guitar too if he was to go the second option

By HHH I meant something like a set of higher-output Lace Sensor or DiMarzio SC's or something. I would recommend HSS personally though.

Quote by SGSquierMan
yeah i just dnt like the feel of the strat...it was my first guitar i love it but its not fast enuf ya no? not a good enuf neck

"fast" is a subjective term on necks. Frankly a strat neck is some of the best I've ever played and I can semi-shred on one, and I absolutely detest thin necks that are advertised as "fast". To each his own though.

Quote by necrosis1193
By HHH I meant something like a set of higher-output Lace Sensor or DiMarzio SC's or something. I would recommend HSS personally though.

Ohhh ok lol I feel dumb now.
American Strat:
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
H2O Chorus/Echo
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
Ohhh ok lol I feel dumb now.

XD Tis' okay, I've made similar mistakes in the past.

so the jackson would be best overall....i have and SG too and i love that.. my main guitar for now...till the jackson comes. the guys said i should just put like angus young pickups in my guitar and it would be frickin awesome but i ****in hate angus young
Quote by SGSquierMan
so the jackson would be best overall....i have and SG too and i love that.. my main guitar for now...till the jackson comes. the guys said i should just put like angus young pickups in my guitar and it would be frickin awesome but i ****in hate angus young

Just leave it stock, if your getting the Jackson I think you are, those SD's kick Angus' pickups' asses.

yeah idk...it comes stock with those jackson pickups that look like emgs. id much rather have seymour duncs but considering i dnt have a tube amp it thos emg wont make the full potenial of them ya no
If it's the one I think your speaking of then, I'd just save up the $70 extra and get an HSS Standard Fender to be honest.

dammit you fender fanatics dnt listn!!! i dnt want a damn fender!! lol i already got one i wanna play leads better not blues and hendrix

1. I am not a "fender fanatic". I may prefer Fenders, but many times I've recommended various brands over them.
2. Squier =/= Fender. Your Squier is only like a Fender spec-wise, but feel-wise and sound-wise they'd be very different.
3. Frankly my lead playing has improved greatly after I got my strat, so it's good for more than "blues and hendrix".
4. I said HSS. Meaning a bridge humbucker.
5. Learn some grammar. I barely understood that post.

ok. the onlly reason y i typed like that is so that i wouldnt be here for 12 hours tryin to write you back. and yes you are a fender fanatic. yeah. they were good. back in like the 60s. not diggin em much any more. the only people that do like em is like yngwie and thats cuz hes not just gna change his style. theyre ok. but its not what i want. and i beat you and jackson player could smoke andy fender player any day. except yngwie hes sick. BESIDES HIM lol!
If I were a Fender fanatic I'd have a pedalboard made from that failed line of pedals Fender made, a Fender acoustic, an HH tele instead of my PRS copy for humbuckers, and I would've bitchslapped you for saying you liked Jackson over Fender. I know some "Fender Fanatics", I am not one.

Anyway, you are an idiot. They are still good, you may dislike your Squier, but I hate all you people who judge Fender by Squier. Squiers suck compared to Fenders, and frankly Yngwie's not the only one who likes Fender. Dave Murray. Recently endorsed to the point of getting a new signature model. Look me in the damn eye and tell me Iron Maiden didn't help shape metal. As far as you beating me, based on your equipment, how little your willing to spend on a third guitar, and how closed-minded you are on brands, I highly doubt that. I played metal off my strat at my bands last meet, as well as funk, rock, blues, hard rock, punk and *shudders* pop. Saying they are bad and/or limited is idiotic.

And for your Jackson players > Fender players comment, that's incredibly subjective. Comparing Jackson players to Fender players, I'd take an Eric Clapton lick over most stuff John Campbell has played, or one of Jeff Beck's beauties I call music instead of Matt Tuck's music. Just saying that is completely idiotic.

Oh, and also, what part of "bridge humbucker" do you not understand?

haha you no what i like you. you got... whats the word... heart... id do the same thing if someone was doin that to me. your alright man. and your right...fenders CAN almost play any music. better than most guitars can say. the only other one that can play close to that in every genre is a Gibson. but this aint bout them. but theres one person u missed in the Jackson family. Mr. Rhandy ****in Rhodes
Much appreciated.

And I will admit your sort of right about Randy. He did have them. Only about as much as Dean had Dime though, much like Dime had switched to Washburns, Randy mainly played a custom polka-dotted V shape from some sort of custom luthier, and his other guitar was a white Gibson Les Paul Custom. Hell, the RR was released after his death, and pretty much only took inspiration from him in the way of being an HH Floyd-equipped shred-oriented V shape.

yeah.. i didnt no dime switched to washburn i thot they just made his dime guitar like a knockoff like epi does gibson or somethin
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was late in his career, so it's not heavily-known(hence why most pics have him with an ML), but he did switch to Washburn near I believe the end of his life.

Quote by necrosis1193
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was late in his career, so it's not heavily-known(hence why most pics have him with an ML), but he did switch to Washburn near I believe the end of his life.

I wanna say around 2004? I'm not sure when he died though.
hmm...yeah he was great...up there with zakk wylde. sorry for makin accusations bout fender in truth they were my first real favorite but i just got started like 8 months ago. you prolly would smoke me but i try i guess. best i can do in this damned economy
Quote by Pac_man0123
I wanna say around 2004? I'm not sure when he died though.

Well, especially if it were in 2004 that would explain it; he was killed I believe in 2004, so the number if pictures with him with one would be very limited.

Quote by SGSquierMan
hmm...yeah he was great...up there with zakk wylde. sorry for makin accusations bout fender in truth they were my first real favorite but i just got started like 8 months ago. you prolly would smoke me but i try i guess. best i can do in this damned economy

Tis' alright, I just hate brand bashing in general, so I got ticked when you started making the accusations. Moving right along though, if you do intend to use the tremolo heavily, the Jackson, in retrospect, probably would be best, but if not, I'd still stand by the HSS strat; the bridge humbucker can do metal, the single-coils give a great clean tone, and as long as you can do with 21 frets, IMO they feel excellent.

Page 1 of 2