Hey I just bought second hand a 1973 Yamaha SG-65!!! one of the first of the SG line made, besides the odd scratch or 2 its in fantastic condition and I got it for only $480 Australian!!!....I havnt really played it yet and only bought it due to the price. Up untill now I've been souly a stratocaster player so does anyone know what the old Yamaha SG range were like???? I wont be able to play it for a few more days since I dont pick it up till thursday, so if anyone knows what kind of sound it gives i'd love to hear opinions and feedback etc.
All I can say is ugly.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
it just looks like a smaller les paul...too be honest it looks really nice, nice single cut away and a woodgrain natural finish...feels great too, I'm just bummed i didn have the time to play it heaps.
Quote by random_B-RAD
All I can say is ugly.

Don't listen to him, he must be blind.
I know nothing about them, but I just looked up some pics, looks very nice.
What colour?
It will probably have a different feel than a stratocaster.
I've never tried one, but from the looks of it, it seems like it would feel like an lp, thick neck, dual humbuckers, looks heavy.
I have no idea though, this is all just guesswork for me.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
http://imageevent.com/chingo123/october2008/yamahasg65nat3667 heres some pics...missing a mother of pearl frett marker...easily replaced...missing the back part to a machine head...got some gotoh's to replace it with anyways....$480 australian from some depserate Joe....Though I've seen them fo between 1 to 2.5 grand the early 70's SG's were just as good as the later SG1000 and SG2000's but wernt as popular. but I remember a time when you couldnt give 70's strats away...now look.
It looks like someone tried to make a les paul and cut away too much of the body.... and i dunno why they felt the need to cover the entire back with a plastic cover.....

lol either way if you like it thats all that matters! Enjoy your new guitar!
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Yeah, I have a Yamaha from the '70s thats meant to be a 1000 pounds and I was given it because someone didn't want it because it was taking up room in their house XD but mine is a double cut Les Paul

and that's a mutant LP not an SG mate
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
jeez some yamaha sg trashin goin on!!!....Santana played one b4 PRS endorsed him you know. I love the look and feel of it, i just wanna know what they sound like, im assuming they sound like an lp or sg but im not sure.