Yes
68 40%
No
96 57%
Yes, more than 1
4 2%
Voters: 168.
Page 1 of 2
EQ pedals and rackmount stuff, not the EQ controls on amps.

I'm thinking of getting 2 eqs to put before and after my distortion(s) (Boss MD-2/Russian Big Muff) to boost the highs before dist and bring them back down after. I'm thinkin this'll give me a nice lead sound.

Boss or MXR, 6 or 10 band?
How bad are Fish'n'Chips sound/quality wise?
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Kind of, I have an EQ on the bass amp I use along with the Marshall head I use, it's 10band, and it's freaking great, gives me all the range I'll ever need, death - thrash, and everything inbetween.

I'd say get a good 10band EQ
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
I have a boss GE-7 which im currently using as a replacement for my noisey BSM treble booster. Cant really say anything bad about it although its somewhat cliche it does the trick just fine
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
I used to use my GE-7 a lot,but now I set the controls flat and push the level up to use it as a clean boost for my JSX.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Yup, got the MXR 6-Band EQ. Great pedal, great clean boost too.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
^Do you ever wish you had the gain and level that the 10 band has? Thats the only reason I'd choose the 10 over the 6, I just don't know if I'll be wishing I had them if I buy the 6.

Quote by Master Shake
I have a boss GE-7 which im currently using as a replacement for my noisey BSM treble booster. Cant really say anything bad about it although its somewhat cliche it does the trick just fine

As stupid as it sounds (even to me) I'm hesitant to buy another Boss pedal, only because I already have 5 of them.
Quote by handbanana
Last edited by wiliscool at Feb 8, 2009,
EQ on the amp? Sort of. Used to be really picky with it, but lately I just go "fuck it" at band practice and roll everything to 12. Pedal? Hell no. I've always seen them as a gimmick unless you don't have onboard EQ. You should be able to get your tone from the EQ on the amp, not go out and buy an EQ pedal to configure and nitpick some more at.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193
EQ on the amp? Sort of. Used to be really picky with it, but lately I just go "fuck it" at band practice and roll everything to 12. Pedal? Hell no. I've always seen them as a gimmick unless you don't have onboard EQ. You should be able to get your tone from the EQ on the amp, not go out and buy an EQ pedal to configure and nitpick some more at.

I have to disagree.An external EQ can be one of the best tools for tone shaping a guitarist can get,especially the ones that cover a lot of frequencies.A good example would be how a good external EQ like a Boss or MXR can take a weak and crap overdrive channel and make it sound much better and not color the natural sound of the amp.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I use a different configuration on the 7 band eq on my X3 Live per channel/setting.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by necrosis1193

Sadly you are completely wrong.
Quote by Jackolas
Sadly you have different taste.

Fixed.

Honestly, whats the big deal if I don't see the point in an EQ pedal? I never said it was fact, I merely said I prefer not to use them.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I have to disagree.An external EQ can be one of the best tools for tone shaping a guitarist can get,especially the ones that cover a lot of frequencies.A good example would be how a good external EQ like a Boss or MXR can take a weak and crap overdrive channel and make it sound much better and not color the natural sound of the amp.

Never seen anyone doing that to be honest, just seen them used to decrease or increase frequencies...

i don't currently use an EQ other than the onboard controls on my amp/pedals. I'd only end up being more of a compulsive tweaker than i already am.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
For the people that do use EQ pedals, do you just set all the dials on the amp's onboard EQ to 5 or 0 or something like that, or do you use them as well?
Anyone who is truly into music and sound knows the magic powers of equalizers
Quote by Mosho2
Anyone who is truly into music and sound knows the magic powers of equalizers

This. I'm going to buy one soon to use as a clean boost and to get that Jesus & Mary Chain-style distortion that's so trebly it's basically white noise.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
I use my Multi Effects unit for EQ now, and nothing else... will probably end up selling it and buying a 10-band EQ, I use it to scoop mids *flameshield* for rhythm and then boosting them back for leads.
I use my boss mt/2 its a POS for distortion but i like the EQ on it, So I turn down the distortion and just use the EQ.
Nope. I dont think im going to need one.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

MXR 6 band EQ, I only slightly boost certain frequencies but it does make a difference.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by necrosis1193

Your miles off beam there - onboard EQ paints in too broad strokes, it's nowhere near precise enough. The most important thing for guitar tones is control over the midrange, just being able to cut a big chunk of those all important mid frequencies isn't enough...if you want a good tone then you NEED to be able to choose the frequencies you change and also be able to boost them if required.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Delay FTW!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I don't need one as of yet, because I'm not nit-picky of my tone. Though if I had one, I'd definitely use it non-stop, because it helps so much.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by necrosis1193

And in your tone it shows.

Not to mention that rolling everything to 12 is not the answer. Its not like running everything open, its adding ugly little boosts too your signal. It makes a tone that cant decide whether it's too boomy or too shrill.

And maxed mids sound like trash.
How do EQ pedals sound with SS amps?

My amp is the Randall RX75RG2.
if i had a better amp i would save up for one.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by Zyl
How do EQ pedals sound with SS amps?

My amp is the Randall RX75RG2.

They work equally as well with an SS. I have the MXR 10 Band and plan on getting another 1 in a few weeks.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by necrosis1193
Fixed.

Honestly, whats the big deal if I don't see the point in an EQ pedal? I never said it was fact, I merely said I prefer not to use them.

Not seeing the "point" of an EQ pedal is silly even if you don't like them. How on earth could having control over your tone be bad? Oh wait it's okay you turn it all up to 12. So you didn't "fix" it at all.

****ing hell, some people. Mr 08er...

Quote by TimmyPage06

Not to mention that rolling everything to 12 is not the answer. Its not like running everything open, its adding ugly little boosts too your signal. It makes a tone that cant decide whether it's too boomy or too shrill.

Quite right.
Last edited by Jackolas at Feb 8, 2009,
EQ on amp, two EQ pedals. The amp's EQ is plainly set to control the basic tone I want depending on the environment I'm in (e.g. I back off the bass and upt he treble when I'm in a small room practising, I ramp up the bass and back off the treble when I'm in a a hall). The first EQ that is the very first pedal in my chain is used to selectively cut out noise while boosting the overall signal; it's a 'heavy rhythm' tone. The second EQ comes right after that and is set to almost maximum level boost, and the EQ itself is set to heavily boost the upper-mids, boost treble slightly, and boost the lower-mids by a tiny amount, and provides a tiny cut to the lowest bass response. That is used as a solo pedal most of the time, and also sometimes with a Micro POG, DD-7 and a maxed out Screamin' Blues Driver on the neck pickup to do what I like to refer to as the 'end of the world tone'.

If you're not using at least the EQ on your amp and one EQ pedal, you're doing something very wrong and you're missing out on getting the most from your gear.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I use an EQ in my fx loop occasionally. But I'm not using it at the moment.
...Bleep Bloop...
Quote by TimmyPage06

Alright then, recommend me an EQ setting that I could use, because frankly most settings I've tried sounded like utter crap for my playing. There were a few that didn't, but they came nowhere near cutting through with my band.

Quote by Jackolas
Not seeing the "point" of an EQ pedal is silly even if you don't like them. How on earth could having control over your tone be bad? Oh wait it's okay you turn it all up to 12. So you didn't "fix" it at all.

****ing hell, some people. Mr 08er...

I get nitpicky when I have the option to be, I used to be an ass with my EQ. If you gave me an EQ pedal I'd sit in my basement playing with it all day and night. Not something I'd enjoy doing in retrospect. I'd prefer just to have a semidecent sound and enjoy playing my guitar than spend hours I didn't enjoy fine-tuning a sound some people enjoy. As The Beatles once said, music is a personal thing, you do it to make yourself happy, not others. Making others happy is a nice side effect, so to speak.

Yes, very smart, judging me by when I joined a website that also features individuals with the IQ of many who visit the pit. Because clearly anyone who's not on UG was an idiot before they joined. I'm pretty sure that qualifies 90% of professionals as idiots then. Hell, not saying I am Satch(I'm nowhere near as good and fine admitting it due to a possible inferiority complex), and I do wish I was, but if you brought Satch here anonymously and had him make a similarly "different" statement I bet he'd get flame for being an 09'er. Judging people by when they joined a website it asinine bullcrap.

I realize I'm wrong. But until you give me an EQ setting that I like that can power over my band, I'm fine with being wrong.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 8, 2009,
Thank you for jacking my thread.

Quote by DSOTM80
Yup, got the MXR 6-Band EQ. Great pedal, great clean boost too.
Quote by wiliscool
^Do you ever wish you had the gain and level that the 10 band has? Thats the only reason I'd choose the 10 over the 6, I just don't know if I'll be wishing I had them if I buy the 6.

Any thoughts on this?
Quote by handbanana
At the moment, no.

But since the thread has already been hijacked, I thought I'd ask: Is it even worth using an EQ if your amp isn't top of the line? I have a Fender HRDx, and while I use the EQ on the amp as well as I can (cut the bass a lot, the amp is bassy I guess, just basic things like that), would I benefit from having an EQ pedal?
Wow, everyone needs to caaaaalm down.

Use it or not, whatever. All down to personal taste...

I myself have an MXR-10 Band, but I must admit I am not fully using it to its potential - I fiddle with it a lot, and while it does help... it's hard me to adjust to a fine tuned tone... I dunno, I really should be putting it in my effects loop, but I need to go and buy more patch chords.
Quote by voteforpedro36
At the moment, no.

But since the thread has already been hijacked, I thought I'd ask: Is it even worth using an EQ if your amp isn't top of the line? I have a Fender HRDx, and while I use the EQ on the amp as well as I can (cut the bass a lot, the amp is bassy I guess, just basic things like that), would I benefit from having an EQ pedal?

There are myriads of uses for EQ pedals even if your amp already has an onboard EQ. A nice EQ like the MXR 10-Band (just got one, I don't know how I survived before it) will give you more frequencies to control and finer adjustments to them. You could also use it as a clean boost, or kick it on as a solo boost. You could use it to switch from lead to rhythm tones. If your guitar has a coil tap you could use it to boost the signal and/or dial in your single coil sound (theres usually volume loss going from hum-single) when you switch to single coils. I like to use mine before my OD pedal to shape the harmonic content of the drive. Etc, etc, etc.
Last edited by B. Jammin at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by leephan
For the people that do use EQ pedals, do you just set all the dials on the amp's onboard EQ to 5 or 0 or something like that, or do you use them as well?

No.

You set up your overall tone using your amp's dials and just tweak them with the eq pedal. The purpose of eq's is not necessarily to "create" a new tone, but to adjust an existing one by controlling more and smaller frequencies in it.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
About the Fish 'n Chips.. It's a good pedal. I played it against the Boss and the MXR and it was comparable. The only problem is that when it starts running low on battery, there's a crazy screeching sound, so use a power supply.
I have gotten the tone I really want through my amp which is a VOX AD30Vt, but if I feel anything needs to me modified or changed I use my Digitech Rp200. I hardly use my RP200 for effects any more. I use it for volume control and wah, and it also acts as my EQ pedal when needed.
I always use my Dano Fish-n-Chips EQ pedal to dial in my tone. Or I use it as boost. I can't live without an EQ pedal, I think people who don't use one are at a serious disadvantage.
Quote by wiliscool
Any thoughts on this?

I chose the 6-Band because thats all I needed really. For me 10-Band is overkill. My amp has a volume knob, its a simple 5 watt tube Fender amp and thats it so an EQ pedal was essential if I wanna try different tones. Mind you I'm happy with the way the amp sounds on it own, with no pedals whats to ever even. I dunno, I thought about the 10-Band but like I said to me it was overkill, to others not. If you feel like it'll be worth it to get the 10 then go for it. I like to keep things simple, I mean look at my guitars, 1 humbucker
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Page 1 of 2