So when it comes to Les Pauls, what make do you consider to make the best?
ESP or Gibson?

Remember, the Gibson is rrp'd at 4 times the price of ESP's
Attachments:
les pauls.jpg
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
So when it comes to Les Pauls, what make do you consider to make the best?
ESP or Gibson?

Remember, the Gibson is rrp'd at 4 times the price of ESP's

So your asking which company makes a better les paul...... a company that has been the staple of les pauls and SG's for 50+ years or a company that just made one to say they have a single cutaway one their line.......
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
Depends on style of music, seeing as the ESP has EMGs. They're both great guitars.

Also, four times the price? wut?
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez GRG170DX
Peavey Vypyr 75
Fender Princeton 650 DSP w/ Celestion 80w speaker
Well, they both have a different neck, as well as different tone, and a different target audience, I think.

The Gibson weighs more, and consequently seems to have better sustain and clean tones. It also has passive pickups. The gibson neck is pretty thick for some people and that's why some players prefer the Esp Eclipse. I myself have an Eclipse because I tend to play mostly metal, prefer smaller necks, EMG's and something that's not going to kill my back. It's all just personal playing style. I don't think either is really better, they're just different guitars. I also find the ESP body more comfortable to hold while playing.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Well, one isn't an ESP its an LTD and there is a huge freaking difference.
ESP dont make Les Pauls.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
Quote by Walternativo
ESP dont make Les Pauls.

No but they make the Eclipse which is nearly the same shape as the Les Paul.

I'd say Gibson's.

However if you just play metal than the ESP.

If you play bit of every thing that the Gibsons.

But if you also put EMG's on Gibson than it would be a tie.
Quote by Ninja Penguin77
So your asking which company makes a better les paul...... a company that has been the staple of les pauls and SG's for 50+ years or a company that just made one to say they have a single cutaway one their line.......

Do you think that the Gibsons made nowadays are the same as the ones made back in the '50s, even though they're made in a different factory, by different people, using mostly different machines under a different company management?
That doesn't sound reasonable to me.

I personally dislike ESPs. There's nothing wrong with them quality wise, they're built well as far as I can see, they just feel completely wrong in my hands. The thinner body affects the tone, too. A Gibson's tone is often "deeper", for the lack of a better word. I can't tell a difference concerning sustain most of the time. Gibsons vary a lot in sound and quality, so it's not a good idea to make generalisations about them. ESPs are more constant, so if you try one in a store and like it, chances are you'll like all the other ones there are - so buying online isn't much of a risk. With Gibson it's different, they're all a bit different and Gibson has a recent history of putting out lemons, so if you want one, you should only buy the exact one you personally tried.

Even though the guitars look similar, they feel and sound a lot different, so finding out which one is better is pretty much impossible. It's all preference.

Quote by ToalNOOB
Well, one isn't an ESP its an LTD and there is a huge freaking difference.

+1
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 8, 2009,
Gibson started failing about 1 year ago. ESP is better. Unless you can find an old Gibson.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
gibson guitars vary greatly in quality. even guitars in the same line (eg. Les Paul Special) can differ greatly from one instrument to the next. you could play a les paul and love it, then play one thats aesthetically the same, and in the same series, and it could sound and play horribly. the biggest problem with gibson is theyre very inconsistent.

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

Old Gibsons were better but now ESPs are more consistant quality-wise.
ಠ_ಠ
At least ESP eclipse's probably have more consistency in their production. Neither is 'better', they are simply 'different'.
just to let you know, that guitar you have up there is a LTD.

and LTD is not an ESP. same company, lower quality.

/pickyness rant.
**GEAR**

Epiphone G-400 Tony Iommi Left Handed
Custom Epiphone Les Paul 100 Left Handed w/ EMG 81/85
Johnson Acoustic Left Handed
Line 6 Spider Valve 112 w/ FBV Pedal
BOSS DS-1 and AC-3
What has been said is said;

Prs single cut (kinda les paul) is better then both in quality and consistency.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Agile, affordable and great quality. Nuf said.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.
Quote by TheQuailman
Do you think that the Gibsons made nowadays are the same as the ones made back in the '50s, even though they're made in a different factory, by different people, using mostly different machines under a different company management?
That doesn't sound reasonable to me.

I personally dislike ESPs. There's nothing wrong with them quality wise, they're built well as far as I can see, they just feel completely wrong in my hands. The thinner body affects the tone, too. A Gibson's tone is often "deeper", for the lack of a better word. I can't tell a difference concerning sustain most of the time. Gibsons vary a lot in sound and quality, so it's not a good idea to make generalisations about them. ESPs are more constant, so if you try one in a store and like it, chances are you'll like all the other ones there are - so buying online isn't much of a risk. With Gibson it's different, they're all a bit different and Gibson has a recent history of putting out lemons, so if you want one, you should only buy the exact one you personally tried.

Even though the guitars look similar, they feel and sound a lot different, so finding out which one is better is pretty much impossible. It's all preference.

+1

+1, basically. I like the esp eclipse, but it's a lot more modern-feeling and sounding. if you want a more vintage-style LP copy, edwards or navigator (if you want to stick to ESP) is where you want to be looking.

it's also a bit daft to be comparing a LTD to a Gibson- if you're willing to go to the price of the Gibson, shouldn't you also be looking at Gibson's rivals at a similar price?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?