Hey everyone,

My band formed in early November with a bassist, drummer, synth, and myself on guitar. We have recently decided on a singer after going through a dozen or so tryouts. The problem is, everyone else just wanted to play shows so bad that I think we settled on one, meaning we didn't want to wait for one that necessarily blew us all away. He comes from a hip hop/rock background and has a kind of higher tenor voice and im a huge Rush fan so I dug it at first, background aside.

After he wrote lyrics for our 5 song ep though, im just really unsatisfied. We basically write his melodies for him, he has zero knowledge of vocal technique other than what we've told him, and it seemed like the first song he wrote to (which I was actually content with) was just to impress us so that he could join, meaning I get the feeling that he just wrote to our remaining songs the night before he went to the studio.

Now the question is, if noone else in my band really shares my views, do I bring it up? Or should I just wait it out and hope that he will improve or something? Lastly, he also seems to never stop singing, as in not giving the music any space, unless we tell him no singing over a certain part, so if anyone has a way to bring this up politely please assist.
Thanks UG
Last edited by The Necromancer at Feb 8, 2009,
paaaaaaaaaaaaaaraaaaaaaaaagraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaphs

Edit: but in all seriousness, take this up with him. tell him not us, and be blunt about it.
Last edited by stephen_rettie at Feb 8, 2009,
rape, i cum blood and ... there's another one i believe
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
rape, i cum blood and ... there's another one i believe

Fap
Metal!!!/COLOR]<br><br>
Gear:
LTD M-200FM
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50.
Ibanez SZ720FM
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Boss GE-7
Zoom II Effects Pedal
Quote by fastfretjazz
Fap

thanks man, i knew there was another one
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
I know what it's like being in a band that will settle for anything just to get something, in my band they didn't want to write the songs good, just record them .

Firstly, tell the band what you think of him and explain how if you have a shi!t singer live you won't be accepted.
Just keep telling him when and when not to sing, he'll get the point eventually.
♪♫♪
92% percent of the teen population would be dead if Hollywood said it wasn't cool to breathe anymore.
Put this in your signature if you are one of the 92% who wouldn't be breathing.
talk to the others and see what they think. if they share your view then come up with a way to deal with it. if they don't then you just got outvoted my friend, so you can either deal with it or quit. problem solvered
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
very very common situation (thats the nature of singers really) - discuss it with your band. If you agree, tell the singer that because hes a "new member" and not fully integrated into the band yet, the rest of you will write the melodies and the lyrics, and give him gentle guidance until everythings in full flow.

If he cant live with that, keep him on but continue to hold more tryouts til you find someone better, then get rid
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Thanks to all of you that posted serious answers. I forgot to mention that we do already have shows lined up so we can't really back out on him a few weeks before we're scheduled to play. If i'm the minority in this case I can deal with it as long as he gives the music more space. We all agreed we were going to be a musician friendly band (meaning not just 3 minute radio songs) so i'm not really worried if we become a "mainstream" band around here or not.
Thanks once again.