I am going through about 1 pack of strings a week. Is this normal? They usually break when I am making up my own power chord riffs. I use Fender/Jim Dunlop super heavey/2.0mm picks if that makes any difference.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
No, my strings last at least two months and they never brake.

You should check your guitar's bridge for sharp edges. Maybe get it checked by a guitar technician.
theyre trying to tell you that your riffs suck!

No just kidding, try not playing so hard. Use a softer plec or something.
Quote by shav0r
Well basically sperm is alive right, so how come you don't see it move around on its own in a condom or whatever?

BLAME FACEBOOK FOR MURDERS... NOT THE MUSIC!
i use a 0.36mm pick.

makes your strings last longer, and its easier for tremolo picking.

try thinner picks?

Epiphone Hummingbird
Epiphone Futura Custom Prophecy (Twin EMG)
Vox Valvetronix VT20+
Vox Wah
Boss MD-2
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Boss EQ

why a 2.0 plectrum? FAR too fat, they're for single string picking not strumming riffs.

get some .63's (or thinner) for strumming.

other than that, what make and gauge strings are you using? try getting some decent ones like fender super bullets in gauge 10 or something,

and when you put new strings on LEAVE them on overnight don't play your guitar so they stretch and accomodate. then tune in again, then rock!
Last edited by Dempsey68 at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by Diamond Dave
where does the string break? if its at the saddles its probably because they're rough/sharp

+1, info on where the string ( s ) break the most would help these guitar docs diagnose the problem.

not being a d-bad with the pun. just decided it was a good time to use it since the opportunity had arrived...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
Damn, that must really add up after a while. Something must be wrong with your guitar.
Quote by Dempsey68
why a 2.0 plectrum? FAR too fat, they're for single string picking not strumming riffs.

get some .63's (or thinner) for strumming.

other than that, what make and gauge strings are you using? try getting some decent ones like fender super bullets in gauge 10 or something,

and when you put new strings on LEAVE them on overnight don't play your guitar so they stretch and accomodate. then tune in again, then rock!

I disagree with many of your points.

I used to play with 1.5 or 2.0 plecs and my strings lasted me a long time, even though I tend to hit them hard.

Just leaving the strings to stretch over night by themselves doesn's help much. They'll continue stretching afterwards which results in an unstable tuning 99% of the time. What you do is you stretch the strings yourself. You just grab them and pull on them a few times (like you'd pull the string of a bow) and you instantly have a stable tuning.

I agree about the strings. TS, if you use .08s or .09s that can be the reason for your problem, those can't take much abuse.
It's either a problem with your technique or sharp saddle edges. I'd bet the former.
I use 2mm picks, they have great attack, speed & accuracy. Sounds like your strings might be breaking on the saddles. Inspect them for sharp edges/nicks. Might try a different brand of strings, DR's outlast most strings by a longshot
I am using DR 10-52 Dimebag signature strings.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
I got similar problem, my break up at the head, i leave fair bit of slack and the D B E wrap around alot alot alot.

I use 11-50's.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Sharp saddles maybe, get it checked.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Your guitar loves strings so much.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by mothership
Your guitar loves strings so much.

Is that banana humping the WTF Beast or riding it?

I play with a 2. bass pick on .09 strings and they don't snap, just go a bit out of tune when I hit them to hard.
Mine don't even go out of tune. Probably Sharp edges anyway.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Is that banana humping the WTF Beast or riding it?

I play with a 2. bass pick on .09 strings and they don't snap, just go a bit out of tune when I hit them to hard.

Is that a rat of zorro?
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Is it one string that breaks repeatedly or do they just all seem to break--also where does the string break? I used to have this problem--I had a burr on your bridge, just a little piece of metal that breaks the string. Your pick size should matter--I use 2.0 and 3.0 mm picks and my strings do not usually break
Last edited by shorter_rocker at Feb 8, 2009,
Maybe you hold ur pick in too much of an angle.

It can start acting as a knife, because you slice the string instead of picking it.

And too Silver-spear94;

Tremolo picking with 0.36mm? That's like 50% ****ty pick noise

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I think darren may be right. I always seem to pick at an odd angle and start scratching the strings instead of picking, It is mainly the first 3 strings that snap.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30