Mods, I've looked at the FAQs and done a search, but no specific queries like this one came up, so I hope this thread's ok.

I have a 1983 Fender Squier SQ Series 70's Popular Strat, black with maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. I've owned it from new and it's the best strat I've ever come across. I have a question, though: the body has had a few very severe "dings" over the years, resulting in some of the thick, beautiful finish splintering off - in one case the actual timber underneath has been damaged. Now, I don't want to completely refinish the guitar because that would destroy its vintage personality, but I'd like to know whether some cosmetic repairs would affect the guitar's value one way or another. Should it just be left alone?

Thanks.
Last edited by Bubba po at Feb 8, 2009,
^I consider that vintage.

Leave it.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by ze monsta
Thats not really considered vintage.

I'd leave it.

It's significantly older than you!

I'd leave it alone, those dings give it character.
If it's repaired well then it'll increase the value but a poor repair will decrease the value. A refinish is not a good idea.

Those early 80's poplar squiers are my absolute favorite strats!
Not taking any online orders.
I'd leave it man - you can allways re finish it later, but if you made a mess of repairing it it's alot more work to sort.
Quote by b2spirita
can we see it?

Of course, I'll take some photos of the damage and get the pics up a bit a bit later. Thanks for the replies so far, you're mostly confirming what I already felt. I think I want to do it because I'm ashamed of the way it's been treated, really, as it's still my favourite guitar. The two major bits of damage were done when I had a tantrum in my twenties and threw the guitar down onstage - unfortunately the body landed between two of the legs of a cymbal stand. Ouch!
Okay, as promised - this is the guitar:

One bit of damage:

Another bit:

The damage in context:

What do you reckon?
Leave it....

And oh my lawd....is everything on there original? If so, I officially hate Squier for crapping out...that thing looks really cool.....
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I'd leave it. 80's is vintage these days, too. But, most people looking for vintage instruments would rather have something a little beat up than something that's been refinished.

edit: wow... look at that bridge, classic 80's fender bridge "mass and brass"
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Feb 8, 2009,
Beautiful. Do not touch it.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
Quote by Natrone
Leave it....

And oh my lawd....is everything on there original? If so, I officially hate Squier for crapping out...that thing looks really cool.....

The only things that aren't original on there are the bridge and the straplock buttons. I don't know why I changed the bridge - my motivations are lost in the mists of time, as is the original bridge. I'm sure it affects the sound, though. The pickups are original, and in my opinion sound superb; they have a chiming clarity that you just don't seem to hear on modern Strats. I haven't a clue why anyone would rip the pickups out of these, but alarmingly it seems to be the first thing that gets done. Very sad. In fact the PUs are so bright you have to wind back the amplifier treble a lot. It's then that the guitar starts to "sing". difficult to describe, but I know the guitar will never leave my possession.

Thanks for the comments - I will leave it alone.
Hey, man. '80s Squiers are really good ****. Getting more and more sought-after.

It's a good thing you're leaving it. If you refinish it, it'll completely change the sound and feel of the guitar. I found that out the hard way on an old '85 Kramer Striker 400ST. I always thought it was tone-chaser myth and mojo, but it's true.
Quote by Invader Jim
Hey, man. '80s Squiers are really good ****. Getting more and more sought-after.

It's a good thing you're leaving it. If you refinish it, it'll completely change the sound and feel of the guitar. I found that out the hard way on an old '85 Kramer Striker 400ST. I always thought it was tone-chaser myth and mojo, but it's true.

Thanks, Invader Jim. I joined your Squier group.

Now I'm not wishing to get into a big falling-out situation, but having browsed your pics thread, I have to ask you this:

What in Holy Hell were you thinking of when you did THAT to it?
Which time?

Seriously, though. I love that guitar (and my Peavey) more than any other guitar I have owned. (Awww...)

May not be worth much money, but the sentimental value is through the roof. (Awww again...)

edit: didn't see the pic.

I was feeling adventurous. Check out the clips on my profile tunes. It sounded great.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Feb 8, 2009,
man, those old japanese pickups had some hot syrupy tones. Sometimes.... We'll see how my old japanese guitar ends up sounding... but those are some great tones of that thing, Invader.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.