Hey i was just wondering what everyone thought of the Fender hot rod deluxe?
Is it any good?
I know it's loud enough for a gig but is it good for bedroom practice aswell?
Please reply!!!
it wont sound its best at beedroom volumes, of course. but it will still sound very tasty. and i know the cleans are lush but i dont think much of the overdrive settings :/ im sure that sticking a nice dist/od box infront of it would sort that out though.
^ above post sums it up pretty well.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
I just got a Blues Deluxe (very similar) and I love it, though I did swap out the stock power tubes for some real 6L6GC's. At low volumes you'll need to get used to playing clean only or using pedals. A good attenuator is definitely next on my want list.

These things are LOUD, yesterday I finally got a chance to play with it out in my garage and cranked 'er up, my kids heard me a block away! Great sound too, even the drive channel sounded good once the tubes were pushed.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by SwamperGene
I just got a Blues Deluxe (very similar) and I love it, though I did swap out the stock power tubes for some real 6L6GC's. At low volumes you'll need to get used to playing clean only or using pedals. A good attenuator is definitely next on my want list.

These things are LOUD, yesterday I finally got a chance to play with it out in my garage and cranked 'er up, my kids heard me a block away! Great sound too, even the drive channel sounded good once the tubes were pushed.

Once you get a blues or hot rod deluxe in the context of a drumkit with a strat or tele, boners ensue.

Wipes the floor with most AC30's and Laneys in similar/less/more expensive price range.
Quote by Jackolas
Once you get a blues or hot rod deluxe in the context of a drumkit with a strat or tele, boners ensue.

Wipes the floor with most AC30's and Laneys in similar/less/more expensive price range.

i doubt it

i haven't heard it side to side cranked with an ac30 (i will soon though) but i'm pretty sure the vox will sound better.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 8, 2009,
Most people don't care for the overdrive setting, but I've never really had a problem with it. It is not geared toward anything heavier then blues, which may be what people are expecting.
Quote by imicius
Most people don't care for the overdrive setting, but I've never really had a problem with it. It is not geared toward anything heavier then blues, which may be what people are expecting.

if you are using humbuckers, it can sound half decent, but with single coils it's pretty awful.
I have a Hot Rod Deville 410 (same basic amp design only 60 watts and 4-10in speakers) and it has the sweetest cleans. The drive channel is okay for hard rock but it is not metal. If you use a modeler in front of your amp, an amp with great cleans is a must. I've played metal through it using an RP500 in front of the amp. It sounded great.

One downside is all the Hot Rods are definitely not a bedroom amps. They are LOUD. At very low level, they are just getting warmed up. It also doesn't help that they have a linear volume knob. At 2, the amp is already freakin' loud. I mean that in a good way.

A friend of mine has a Blues Junior (15 watts 1-12in speaker) and it is the best of both worlds. Great tones, surprisingly loud and you can push it to power tube distortion without making your ears bleed on stage. He mics it for gigs although it is loud enough to handle smaller clubs.

I also have to add that Fender support has been excellent in my opinion. My son pulled off the preamp tube stabilizer on my HRD410 and tore it up. Fender sent me a replacement for free.
Quote by Jackolas

Except AC30s cost over twice as much. At least in the US.
Quote by The red Strat.
if you are using humbuckers, it can sound half decent, but with single coils it's pretty awful.

I gotta respectfully disagree there, I just had it out in my garage again with my trusty strat copy and with the drive near 7 and master at about 6 each it was classic rock heaven.

The only thing I'll say with single coils is you gotta really back off the treble and keep the presence low. But dial it right and and it's golden, at least that's what I'm getting.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Nice cleans.

Nice old school fender drive. Think Rolling Stones but with more gain if you want it.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by JoelTheShredder
it wont sound its best at beedroom volumes, of course. but it will still sound very tasty. and i know the cleans are lush but i dont think much of the overdrive settings :/ im sure that sticking a nice dist/od box infront of it would sort that out though.

+1 to this.

i use mine regularly in my my dorm room at volumes that work great for me. granted, it sounds better at a slightly higher volume, it still sounds amazing at low volumes.

get a distortion/od pedal.

btw. it is definitely loud enough to gig. and if not, mic it.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by The red Strat.
i doubt it

i haven't heard it side to side cranked with an ac30 (i will soon though) but i'm pretty sure the vox will sound better.

I have, for about an hour. Guess which one both me AND the shop keeper thought sounded better?

It was £250 cheaper too.

I love it when cliché's get blown out the water.
Last edited by Jackolas at Feb 8, 2009,
How does it sound with a Tube Screamer boosting it?
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man

Sweet.
I have a tubescreamer on my old pedal board. It pushes the preamp nicely. You get that Stevie Ray Vaughn type distortion out of it.
very nice cleans (for the money), pretty craptacular overdrive channels. if you need cleans at the expense of all else, or like pedal overdrive/distortion, then it's a good amp. it's also pretty loud, it's hard to dial it in to a low volume, the volume control's not very linear...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
very nice cleans (for the money), pretty craptacular overdrive channels. if you need cleans at the expense of all else, or like pedal overdrive/distortion, then it's a good amp. it's also pretty loud, it's hard to dial it in to a low volume, the volume control's not very linear...

Uh.. you control it with the guitar's volume :|........

Zomg.
i played the deville yesterday, like MT said before, its pretty much the same amp. the owner owns both the deluxe, and the deville. even with my tonelab i couldnt get as sweet as that fender! LOUD too.

+1 Jackolas ... boners ensue!
My Rig

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Honey Burst
Fender MIM Stratocaster Ash Natural
Crate v18 2x12
Eleven Rack
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
BBE Sonic Stomp
BMP with Tone Wicker
Dunlop Cry Baby
Good cleans, crap overdrive. Overall better amps for the money, especially if you plan on using the amps overdrive.

HRD with better drive than an AC30, having owned an HRD and having played extensively on an AC30 I can say that's not true. Unless you prefer fizzy crud over smooth crunch.

Not everyone likes using the volume control on their guitar, I for one dislike it because it seems to muddy up my tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Jackolas
I have, for about an hour. Guess which one both me AND the shop keeper thought sounded better?

It was £250 cheaper too.

I love it when cliché's get blown out the water.

nice.
I have it. Its been said before, but I'll back it up again- Amazing cleans, get a pedal for distortion. I got a basic DS1 and its awesome. Still good enough to practice with in my apartment. Its very loud too and plenty loud to gig with. They sell an extension Hot Rod cab too, so you can make a stack out of it. Best amp for the money
Quote by Pencil Man

check the demo of the amp in my profile
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by MT in Austin
Except AC30s cost over twice as much. At least in the US.

and are worth it, i got an ac30 recently, i tried out one of these too, lol, the ac thirty i think is definately good for the price, but the hotrod is good for its price

its a good amp, the od is kinda bad, the cleans are beuitiful, its very loud, and its a good value
Quote by Jackolas

Here's the HRD with some pedal business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQphBFRsX4w&fmt=18

Yup, sounds like the fizzy ol HRD.

Just a suggestion, try getting the mic closer to the speaker, it'll get rid of the over reverberated sound and make everything clearer, unless that's what you were going for.
Quote by Jackolas
Uh.. you control it with the guitar's volume :|........

Zomg.

that's not really ideal, though. if i'm playing with a cooking distortion, there's a good chance i want my guitar's controls to be wide open. i don't mind rolling back my guitar's volume to clean things up, or to provide a bit of light and shade, but i don't want to be doing it all the time as more often than not it just sounds better with the guitar's tone and volume controls wide open (plus if it's already rolled back for my "full on" tone, there are fewer places to go when i don't want everything cooking). i think it's something to do with changing the impedance when you roll them back which affects the tone- you can improve things a bit with quality low-capacitance cables, treble bleeds on your volume control etc., but it's still rarely ideal.

what pedals were you using on that clip?

Quote by Kevin Saale

Not everyone likes using the volume control on their guitar, I for one dislike it because it seems to muddy up my tone.

treble bleed cap on your volume control should help that a bit.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Kevin Saale
Just a suggestion, try getting the mic closer to the speaker.

Haha, it's just a youtube video dude. The camera on the mic is absolutely ****, but the video quality is passable. Everyone knows most vids on youtube are recorded with sub-par recording equipment.

Quote by The red Strat.

sweet. nice playing too !

Cheers man.

Quote by Dave_Mc
what pedals were you using on that clip?

Digitech RP350 and Dunlop Crybaby wah. No complaints from either, good value, sound good!

Lovely little set-up.
Last edited by Jackolas at Feb 10, 2009,
Setting up the mic properly can really make up for a poor mic. I used to record with a 10 dollar computer mic with great results because I took the time to place it properly.
Quote by Jackolas

Digitech RP350 and Dunlop Crybaby wah. No complaints from either, good value, sound good!

Lovely little set-up.

thanks
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?