I've Recently Started Gigging and i have found my head isnt powerful enough ,

would i be able to hook it up to a power amp or would i have to ditch the head and just use a rack setup for a power amp ?

any help is much appreciated.
What amp is it?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Are you willing to buy a new amp?
Are you willing to buy used?
What major city do you live near?
How much power do you need, exactly?
What styles of music do you play?
What is your budget?
depends how used the amp is :P
i live in england UK - bristol
well nothing over 240watts
i play heavy ass metal :P deathcore/ death metal etc.
havent thought about money yet
Run the preamp out on the head into a bigger power amp, then connect the power amp to your cab.

Unless you wouldn't mind a better amp. That'd be ideal.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by dImEbAg_rOx
depends how used the amp is :P
i live in england UK - bristol
well nothing over 240watts
i play heavy ass metal :P deathcore/ death metal etc.
havent thought about money yet

Used 5150, 6505, Mesa Rectifier series, Krank Revolution series (try these before you buy them, always), Carvin V3, ect.

If you had a substantial budget, you could get a Soldano or a Bogner.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Run the preamp out on the head into a bigger power amp, then connect the power amp to your cab.

Unless you wouldn't mind a better amp. That'd be ideal.

so get a pre amp run it into the head then from the head into a power amp with more power than the head into the cab?

i wish i could get a better amp (
Quote by dImEbAg_rOx
so get a pre amp run it into the head then from the head into a power amp with more power than the head into the cab?

You amp -> effects loop out -> power amp of something bigger.
Quote by dImEbAg_rOx

No..there's a preamp out jack on the back of the spider (I think, at least). You run your head (using that jack) into a power amp, and that power amp into your cab.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
No..there's a preamp out jack on the back of the spider (I think, at least). You run your head (using that jack) into a power amp, and that power amp into your cab.

nah there isn't a preamp out jack on it
Quote by dImEbAg_rOx
nah there isn't a preamp out jack on it

If there's a line out, you can probably do the same thing.
Its really not worth hooking it up to an external power amp, you may as well hold on for a bit and look into a new head with a higher wattage for what you need.
thats the problem i only just got this head , becuase in a music shop you cant tell how loud its going to be against a drum kit so i bought it and when im playing in my band i wack it up to 10 and can barely hear myself , i dont want to get rid of an amp i just bought.
Ok i see your point, but spending yet more money on what is likely to be a sub-standard power amp (i.e. not a Mesa/VHT etc) wont be much use in the long term. Have you tried playing around with your EQ, adjusting the midrange so the sound will cut through the mix a bit more?

Plus as you're gigging they should normally have a PA set up, can you just get your amp put through the monitors?
what's your eq like? if you scoop your mids a bunch you won't be able to hear yourself. try adding more mids before you run off an buy a new amp
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
i pretty much max out everything , dont scoop anything at all
Quote by Wayfaerer
I finally got the solo to Leper Affinity down.

Afterwards I kinda felt like masturbating.

All i can really say is , laugh out fxcking loud.
well to be fair we do practice in an echoey room and he is a lets call him angry drummer , and its death metal , lots of cymbals and double bass , eurgh .
Quote by Wayfaerer
I finally got the solo to Leper Affinity down.

Afterwards I kinda felt like masturbating.

All i can really say is , laugh out fxcking loud.