So, I'm thinking of constructing an effect loop that I can place a few effects in, for the sole purpose of soloing (sole purpose of soloing!?!) - so I can access a solo 'setting' at the press of a single button.

At the moment, I'm thinking of placing a Q zone (it won't actually be a Q zone, I'll just be re-housing a wah I already have into a single stomp chassis), and a clean boost in the loop. I thought about an EQ - would this be pointless with the wah set to specific frequency? I've also thought about placing a compressor in there; any thoughts on that? A subtle reverb could be a good addition?

Basically I'm after a rich lead sound, so any other effect reccomendations are welcome. I'm trying to keep it to the tonal basics, with modulation and other effects outside of the solo loop, so I have the option to use them with other sounds.

EDIT: Just incase anyone doesn't quite know what I mean, here's a diagram!

So:

EQ + Q zone - Yay or nay?
Compressor?
Reverb?
Any other additions?
Last edited by Mathamology at Feb 8, 2009,
depending on playing styles (and your ability to properly set it up) compressors can be a huge help, and they can suck.

EQ might help, or maybe something like a tubescreamer which would be your slight boost and tone shaping as needed. Other OD/distortion boxes could be the ticket too, mayne have mroe flexible EQs and can actually boost (a friend of mine measured a TS boost at something like 2.4dB...hardly worth writing home about).

reverb....meh, depends on style, but prolly not worth it.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
I have a TS9, but I use it to tighten up my dirt channel. I've never really used a compressor before, but I would like to increase sustain on my solo tone. I also already have an EQ, but again, I use it to tighten up my dirt channel.

As for reverb, I was thinking something really subtle, so something not too expensive but something that doesnt suck tone - though tone suck when it's not on will be irrelevant, as it will be in it's own loop.

Thanks for the help
Quote by Mathamology
I have a TS9, but I use it to tighten up my dirt channel. I've never really used a compressor before, but I would like to increase sustain on my solo tone. I also already have an EQ, but again, I use it to tighten up my dirt channel.

As for reverb, I was thinking something really subtle, so something not too expensive but something that doesnt suck tone - though tone suck when it's not on will be irrelevant, as it will be in it's own loop.

Thanks for the help

Reverb pedals are usually pretty expensive...I have a Holy Grail and like it.
Quote by kcdakrt
DLrocket89 makes my ug experience better!

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

Kit Amp Building Tutorial
How about a flanger/doubler? Not using det flanger effect, but the doubling effect. That will give a fatter sound. (Although a very slight delay or chorus could do the same).
Also, you can use the EQ as boost, instead of a boost pedal. This way you can filter out unwanted frequencies and at the same time boost your signal.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH