The most best guitarists can do it, it's like they tell a story through their guitar.
Can you do that as well? please tell me how
Understand your instrumet - make sure you know the sounds it can make and how to get them, ultimately you're trying to convey your emotions through music in much the same way as you would with words. Just as you can struggle to be understood if you have a limited vocabulary or poor understanding of grammar, you'll struggle to express yourself musically if you have a limited understanding of music or your own instrument.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Try and think of your solos as sentences, on the guitar, they're known as phrases. Try and have a conversation.

Prolonged bends with vibrato are always a winner when portraying emotion.
When you play a solo, try to express something. Try to think of it as telling a story.
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
Play the rests.

Let each rest carry out for the right amount of time and play rhythmically. The notes are important, but only as important as everything else. Also, check into your dynamics as well.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Play the rests.

Let each rest carry out for the right amount of time and play rhythmically. The notes are important, but only as important as everything else. Also, check into your dynamics as well.

Good one. Sometimes the best thing you can do to a riff or phrase is to actually remove some of it.
Bend and use vibrato a lot. Also (and this is crucial) make a face like you're taking a shit.

Like so:

Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Last edited by Psychedelico at Feb 8, 2009,
Yeah, if you want to have alot of people saying "how emotional!", get a ballad-like backing track and use alot of bends.

What a relief!
You really need too listen to what ur play, and evoke something.

It doesn't matter how fast, slow, complex or w/e you play.

Just play it and once you feel it it will come out.

Like you have people who shred who are boredom, but Vai and Petrucci shred, and they are still liked by many.

You have people who do slow stuff, like slash and people love them , but you also have people who play slow and they are not liked.

A lot of poeple think soul has to do with speed, but it has to do with continuity and flow in ur playing.

Like if you play a few soulful bends and overall ur solo is syncopated, and you suddenly play a sweep, then of course people feel that it doesn't fit and see it as wank. You must ask urself if that random sweep was necessary at that point? Like does it sound cheap, or worked out. Do the licks before that add up to the sweep that is played now.

I take a sweep as example, but this goes for everything you play.

You must have a certain continuity in ur overall playing, like you can't play 1 lick smooth and have problems with the next lick.

You need to learn to connect everything in a as "natural" way possible. The only way to do this is too don't think about if a lick is "good" or "Complex", but just if it fits. It doesn't matter what the lick is.

Record stuff and listen to it, and be hard on urself. Lose all ego of "I played it so it must be good". Listen to it as if someone else wrote it, and listen if it sounds natural. Listen to it as you listen to all ur music.

If you still can't figure out, ask someone else what they think about it, and accept it if someone says t sounds ****. Honesty is harsh, but later on it pays soooo much back.

Too summ it all up, ur question can't be answered like that. IT's like asking, people can write good books, how do I do that?

Every song is different, and you must learn the underlying thought of what "works" and what doesn't. This just comes from endless playing and over time you will begin eliminating and/or adding notechoices, and this develops in ur style.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Feb 8, 2009,
Everyone has an inner spirit. First, realize you have one. Second, do everything you can to become aware of it. Third, listen to it. It will give you guidance on everything from how to learn the guitar to actually playing it. It's so covered up in most people by layers of external crap, that it seldom is felt. Even when it is, we're mostly taught to deny it because the only thing that's real and can be "trusted" is "out there" in the world. The funny thing is, "out there" is the illusion -- a very narrow band of frequencies picked up by your sense organs, sent along nerves endings by electrical impulse that your brain decodes and you interpret based on your own beliefs.

Playing isn't about being "emotional". It's about connecting with your spirit and letting it manifest through your body and fingers. When connected it doesn't even feel like it's "you" doing anything. You're just letting and allowing it to happen.

Inspiration is something people have all backwards. It means "in the spirit". Rather than doing the work of being aware and how to connect to it, the dis-empowered wait for it to happen to them -- maybe that new pedal will inspire me?! That is pathetic and weak. Wake up and take responsibility for yourself. You HAVE spirit, it doesn't happen. If you're not "in the spirit", do the inner work of figuring out the true reason why not, not by using some bullsh1t external bandaids.
Quote by Mr.brownstone93
The most best guitarists can do it, it's like they tell a story through their guitar.
Can you do that as well? please tell me how

Playing with "soul" is simply a matter of expressing yourself. Something from inside you, be it a feeling/ emotion, or idea is expressed by you on your musical instrument.

It doesn't matter what faces you make, how fast or slow you play, whether or not you bend or use vibrato. Those are all superficial traits that people like to associate with playing with "feeling" or "soul".

The more experience you have playing music on your guitar, the better chance you have of being able to express yourself on the instrument.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by edg
Everyone has an inner spirit. First, realize you have one. Second, do everything you can to become aware of it. Third, listen to it. It will give you guidance on everything from how to learn the guitar to actually playing it. It's so covered up in most people by layers of external crap, that it seldom is felt. Even when it is, we're mostly taught to deny it because the only thing that's real and can be "trusted" is "out there" in the world. The funny thing is, "out there" is the illusion -- a very narrow band of frequencies picked up by your sense organs, sent along nerves endings by electrical impulse that your brain decodes and you interpret based on your own beliefs.

Playing isn't about being "emotional". It's about connecting with your spirit and letting it manifest through your body and fingers. When connected it doesn't even feel like it's "you" doing anything. You're just letting and allowing it to happen.

Inspiration is something people have all backwards. It means "in the spirit". Rather than doing the work of being aware and how to connect to it, the dis-empowered wait for it to happen to them -- maybe that new pedal will inspire me?! That is pathetic and weak. Wake up and take responsibility for yourself. You HAVE spirit, it doesn't happen. If you're not "in the spirit", do the inner work of figuring out the true reason why not, not by using some bullsh1t external bandaids.

Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Oh sorry TS, but ima use your thread a little. :p

I was wondering about this "play with soul" thing, is it possible the guitarists have no idea how much "soul" their putting into music? I mean, comon, they could just be playing guitar and acting passionate on bending, doing vibratos and whatnot.
Far from it, they all have a strap mounted "Soul-o-Meter" that measures these things for them...as soon as it drops below a certain level it's time for a another guitar face. The newer ones have digital displays, but many players maintain that the older, analog ones with VU meters ensure a far more authentic and natural flow of emotions.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think you have to be attached to music in a spiritual/and or emotional way.
Quote by steven seagull
Far from it, they all have a strap mounted "Soul-o-Meter" that measures these things for them...as soon as it drops below a certain level it's time for a another guitar face. The newer ones have digital displays, but many players maintain that the older, analog ones with VU meters ensure a far more authentic and natural flow of emotions.

Quote by xxdarrenxx

You have people who do slow stuff, like slash

I know he may not be able to do 30 notes a second but I would hardely say overall he does "slow stuff" even though on occaision he will.Guess you never seen his Double Talking Jive solo from Tokyo or Knockin On Heavens Door in Tokyo and at The Freddie Mercury Tribute concert. Paradise City is also very soulfull.

Check out 4:11 into this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJMR-X41FA&feature=related

November Rain Live in Tokyo End Solo with LOts of Speed and Emotion! 8:00 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKfp_5ySns&feature=related
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Last edited by SlashWannabe1 at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by SlashWannabe1
I know he may not be able to do 30 notes a second but I would hardely say overall he does "slow stuff" even though on occaision he will.Guess you never seen his Double Talking Jive solo from Tokyo or Knockin On Heavens Door in Tokyo and at The Freddie Mercury Tribute concert. Paradise City is also very soulfull.

Check out 4:11 into this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQJMR-X41FA&feature=related

November Rain Live in Tokyo End Solo with LOts of Speed and Emotion! 8:00 in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKfp_5ySns&feature=related

Wtf, congratulations on totally missing the point of my post.

I'm not even gonna comment further on this.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
^Good job at missing the point completely. At that other guy, not darren.

Just play your instrument and enjoy what you're doing. - thats all there is to it really.

EDIT: I watched the first clip that guy posted (Knocking on Heaven's Door live in Tokyo). Is it just me or does that intro reminded anyone else of Brain Damage by Pink Floyd.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by edg

+ infinite

holy sh!t dude. you f#cking nailed it square on the head. i've never been able to describe those moments where my brain just goes silent and my fingers keep moving and awesomeness spills forth from my guitar, but this is it. dead on.
Quote by edg
When connected it doesn't even feel like it's "you" doing anything. You're just letting and allowing it to happen.

+ 1 especially when you're talking about improvising.

I often feel like my best stuff happens when I just let it happen. I don't think too much about it, it just comes out. all the things I've learned, listened to, been inspired by, practiced, the things I feel..... are all there inside ( call it inner spirit if you will), and find their way out in some form as I play.

Contrary to what Z said though, I don't think the brain is silent at all, in fact I see it as quite the opposite. its active, its releasing. the key is that you are letting it release, rather than blocking it.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 8, 2009,
As some of the other posters have said, you just have to know how to play the guitar. You don't necessarily need to practice "emotion" in particular, it just comes to you when you get to know the guitar more and more.
Side one: It's in there, what the Romans called a man's Genius, a spirit, whichever you call, waiting to burst out, held in by the processes, systems and definitions we are crammed into as a child, and your movement as an artist is to eliminate, break and abandon these so it can come forth as often as possible. So forget all you've learned, and play, play.

Side two: It's unfortunate that this happening (of the Genii coming forth) has some common shapes, and that the imitation of those shapes, remade to be absurdly obvious, is generally better understood as "emotion" or whichever you term it. To the point where the actual coming forth is normally overlooked (must be, and that is the curse).

Neither is nobler than the other, nor are they exclusive.
Quote by GuitarMunky
I don't think the brain is silent at all, in fact I see it as quite the opposite. its active, its releasing. the key is that you are letting it release, rather than blocking it.

Without getting too esoteric, we're all basically "trained" to view things as duality. There's an "in here" and "out there". Inner world, outer world. I actually don't think that's the case at all -- it's all inner or just one thing. Intentional or not (and I think it is intentional), we're taught that it's mostly the left brain, ego, rational mind that is us and that's the limit to us. But, that's actually just the small part. Our right brain, creativity, non-rational mind is hooked directly to the spirit (which is us too) and that is everywhere.

So, I think what seems to be just letting "stuff happen" that is coming from "somewhere else", is still part of the self -- it just has gotten so atrophied and buried because it's been locked out by the "left brain prison" it only SEEMS like it's just happening to us. In reality it's just another part of ourselves -- the spirit, bigger Self, higher mind, whatever...-- and the little self, ego which we normally identify with just can't fathom it. The mind is very active, it's just a different kind of activity than what we usually are aware of. The left brain is still needed, but in a greatly diminished capacity. I'd say the goal is not to "stop thinking", but "think differently".
Quote by edg
Without getting too esoteric, we're all basically "trained" to view things as duality. There's an "in here" and "out there". Inner world, outer world. I actually don't think that's the case at all -- it's all inner or just one thing. Intentional or not (and I think it is intentional), we're taught that it's mostly the left brain, ego, rational mind that is us and that's the limit to us. But, that's actually just the small part. Our right brain, creativity, non-rational mind is hooked directly to the spirit (which is us too) and that is everywhere.

So, I think what seems to be just letting "stuff happen" that is coming from "somewhere else", is still part of the self -- it just has gotten so atrophied and buried because it's been locked out by the "left brain prison" it only SEEMS like it's just happening to us. In reality it's just another part of ourselves -- the spirit, bigger Self, higher mind, whatever...-- and the little self, ego which we normally identify with just can't fathom it. The mind is very active, it's just a different kind of activity than what we usually are aware of. The left brain is still needed, but in a greatly diminished capacity. I'd say the goal is not to "stop thinking", but "think differently".

Well, I thought I agreed with you, but I'm not so sure anymore.

By "letting stuff happen", I mean allowing yourself to be expressive (as opposed to forcing it). Letting what's inside be expressed through your art. (playing the guitar in this case).
Use phrasing properly. And really use sound dynamics, the speed and curve of bends and slides, staccato, legato, all factors.
Quote by edg

yeah

Western thought (modernism and its baggage) is due for rejection. Embrace irrationality.
you've got to have a purpose otherwise you cant portray what you want to portray
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, I thought I agreed with you, but I'm not so sure anymore.

It doesn't matter. It's hardly something that can be fully explained here. Those that don't resonate with it, won't, those that do, will.

The important point for the original question is "playing with emotion" is probably not an entirely evocative symbol for what it is that's occurring in those that have experienced that certain connection with playing that transcends the ordinary. If you're trying to figure out what it is, there's a "dead end" sign on the "playing with emotion" road and signs pointing in other directions.
Quote by edg
It doesn't matter. It's hardly something that can be fully explained here. Those that don't resonate with it, won't, those that do, will.

The important point for the original question is "playing with emotion" is probably not an entirely evocative symbol for what it is that's occurring in those that have experienced that certain connection with playing that transcends the ordinary. If you're trying to figure out what it is, there's a "dead end" sign on the "playing with emotion" road and signs pointing in other directions.

what?
Wrap your thumb over the neck and pretend your guitar has been screwing your girlfriend. It works for blues anyway.
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 9, 2009,