I'm reorganizing my room, moving everything around etc. I was wondering where I should place my 2x12 cabinet. Should I place it on the ground, or at ear level? I find that I like the sound better when its on the ground (not at ear level), but this would probably mess me up when I mic it up.

So, ear level or on the ground?
WTLTL 2011
I place my Krank 2x12 on the ground and angle it up at my face. It's amazing how much less volume you need when the speakers are singing right to you like that, especially with a closed back cabinet as they tend to be very directional.
That rug really tied the room together.
I prefer to have my cabs sitting on the floor.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I prefer to have my cabs sitting on the floor.

Would you say this gives a better idea of how it would sound miced? Or would that require the cab at ear level...
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Mark G
Would you say this gives a better idea of how it would sound miced? Or would that require the cab at ear level...
I like the cab on the floor for jamming purposes. (slant 4x12)
Having the cab too high can cause ear fatigue, however you will be able to hear your speakers and tone more accurately, as if how they sounded when mic'd.
I recommend raising the cab closer to ear level and eq your amp appropriately to where you're satisfied.
Then place the cab on the floor and make some final eq adjustments. (you may then need to reduce the bass freq's as the floor reflection will add more lows)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Last edited by Van Noord at Feb 8, 2009,