Hi, I've been playing for about 1 year. I've just started learning this version of 'Come Together': http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDb3GUvpxDo

I've got one problem though. There's no sound whenever I try to tap, wether I do it with one hand or two.

I've searched the forum and the lessons, but with no result.

Do any of you guys know why I can't get a sound when I try to tap?
MOAR PRACTICE!!! Also, try tapping harder. Or turning up your gain, or turning up your volume.
Either;
-You're doing it wrong.
-The sound on your guitar/amp isn't loud enough.
-Your amp is too weak

I suppose you're doing it wrong.
Practice, and thou shall improve.

Edit: Ok, since I was too lazy to check out the video back there, I didn't know that this was for an acoustic.
The thing is, your action (string height) might be high, so check that out.
You'd prefer to lower it if it's possible I suppose.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Last edited by valdean at Feb 8, 2009,
probably just need to tap harder and put the gain up

unless your amps really weak like mine and can barely hear it hehe
Its simple really:

show me yours, and I'll show you MINE
You shpuld be able to hear taps unplugged if your doing it right

moaaar practise
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Thanks for the answers guys. I've tried tapping hard, but nothing really happens. I'm trying to tap with my left hand only, and I'm doing it on my Classical Alahambra. I've tried on my electrical guitar as well, but I think it's the same.
you're probably not pulling off, i had the same problem when I first started
Yep, like BedTime said. When you pull your finger off when tapping, don't pull it straight up and off. I usually pull my tapping finger off up towards me at an angle, so the note is sounded not just from the tap, but the pull off as well.
Can you do hammer-ons and pull-offs well with your left hand? Because that's all tapping is.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Can't check the video right now, but on my classical guitar, tapping is nearly impossible on the nylon strings. On the steel ones it's just a matter of hammering on them as hard as possible.
Everyone who says you should be tapping harder is wrong. It's not an issue of tapping harder but tapping properly. Try practicing slowly. For the tap you need to get a good, solid strike. It's easier to practice this on the thicker strings first until you get it down then try the other strings. You should be able to clearly hear the note of the fret you're tapping. Make sure you tap with the tip of your finger, and it's not necessary that it is as hard as possible, but just swift and solid. For the pull-off you have to imagine your finger as a pick rolling off the string. The action that you make is fairly similar to when you click - have some pressure for some friction, then flick.

Hard to explain, but really the best idea is to practice. Try doing different things. Don't get caught up in the ideas of gear and action and distortion and stuff, as really it's possible to tap well on any guitar. Slow down the tempo, and concentrate on getting it right.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Thanks guys, I've learned how to do a proper pull-off now when tapping, but I'm still having a bit of a problem with 'Come Together'. You're supposed to hammer with your left hand, without a pulloff.. This is how it's played:

e|----------------
B|----------------
G|----------------
D|----------------
A|--------------8
E|-----5---7-----

But I guess I just need to strengthen my fingers a bit more..

Here's the link to the arrangement of Come Together again, just in case you've missed it, and you don't have a clue of what I'm talking about .. Video speaks for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDb3GUvpxDo
Last edited by ArmSpasms at Feb 9, 2009,
That's just pure finger strength. You get it as you come along.
Keep practicing!
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me