So I got an £80 Yamaha acoustic on Christmas day, and have been nearly playing everyday (so that's 1 and a half months).

I also got this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guitar-Dummies-Mark-Phillips/dp/0764599046/ref=pd_cp_b_0/280-3868538-7492625?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=0TW6VMZ1KEWJ4JE761VX&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=212521391&pf_rd_i=076455106X

Which has been really good, and have basically finished going through it.

Now I really want to teach myself... atleast in the beginning anyway, as I'd like to get a feel of my own style and not let a teacher restrict me and tell me what direction to go in. I really dislike the idea of covering songs excessively and mindlessly practicing scales or whatever. So that's why I'd like to teach my self for a bit with the aid of books (or DVD's)

So, is there any other good books out there that are a step up from that one?
So instead of getting a teacher to help you become a better guitarist, you're going to buy cheap DVDs that will limit you even more than a teacher would?

Mindlessly practicing scales? What?
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
i dont know the book so could you tell us what you can do now (technically and all) and then we can direct you

EDIT: a good teacher will not limit you whatsoever, they will encourage your own unique style and keep you interested. i hughly recommned getting one.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Last edited by charlie__flynn at Feb 8, 2009,
I say find a GOOD teacher. A good one wouldn't restrict what you play they would let you find your own style and let you pick what you want to learn. Oh and learn scales. They might seem mindless and annoying but they are really helpful in learning your way around the fretboard.
i started on the ernie ball series books. theyre pretty good. but i also highly recommend getting a teacher.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I would suggest if you can't afford a teacher then go here.

http://www.justinguitar.com/
I wish I had tallent and ability.

Squier Vintage Modified Strat, Black with laquered 70s neck
Farida FLP-26
Vox VT20+
Ampkit for iPod
Jamvox (not impressed)