Hey i just joined a thrash metal/hardcore band and my current gear is not gonna work for it lol

My gear soo far:epiphone les paul standard, marshall mg-15,boss ds1

with that gear i cant rlly play stuff like slipknot pantera metallica thrash metal punk metal etc.

another problem is i only have 100 bucks but if i traded in my epi les paul standard i could get like 350-400 bucks outta that .

i was thinking about the line 6 spider 75 and a cheep metal axe any suggestions?? or is that a bad idea overall..

We would play at small venues soo i need something decently loud over a drummer
Keep the Epi. Your "axe" has almost nothing to do with the kind of music you play (in most cases). The Line 6 is a bad amp. Digital, buzzy, etc....
With your $100, you are, for all intents and purposes, screwed. Save money.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
So you have no amp? Keep your guitar and do not get a line 6. Their sound is horrible. Hop on craigslist and see what is there. I would like to recommend a small tube amp but thats probably a little out of your price range since you only have 100. If it were me I would wait till i could afford a decent tube amp because most solid states are just meh.
yeah dude, the lp is pretty versitale, but the amp is where you have problems. save up for a new amp, and probably a new distortion pedal too, if you want to play heavy music.
the Epiphone Les Paul standard is a versatile guitar and it can do metallica and slipknot (use thicker strings for most of their songs).
the spider is not a good amp you could be better off with a Vypyr or a cube.
for $100 you could get a vypyr 15 very great amp if your venue has a PA system just mic your amp to the pa system.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
rob a bank and go get a real amp
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
a new amp,15 watt SS cant go over a drummer,can it?
buy a new amp..get liek a fender vibro champ XD or something the like
save up 350ish
and buy used
dont get the *shivers* Spider
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by nowa90
a new amp,15 watt SS cant go over a drummer,can it?
buy a new amp..get liek a fender vibro champ XD or something the like
save up 350ish
and buy used
dont get the *shivers* Spider

the vibro champ cant do Nu Metal and Thrash metal.
the Vypyr 15 can be heard over a Drummer if you mic it to your pa system
feel free to add me
ok well my mg cant rlly play at band practise... soo i need something that can ****.. u reccommend the vypyr? 4 slipknot ****?
Check these out when you save enough money.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/1023487781.html
talk him down, I only paid 200 for mine

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/1023483884.html
I here these are great and really easy to mod

Keep checking back every couple of days. You never know what you'll find. BTW the standard would be great for gigging. Its a little blusey for metal and thrash though. You would deffinately need a pedal for it like a metal muff or something.
Quote by Powerstrike
ok well my mg cant rlly play at band practise... soo i need something that can ****.. u reccommend the vypyr? 4 slipknot ****?

i recommend the vypyr 100%
it has 6 metal amp models (6505,XXX,JSX,Diezel,Krank,Rectifier) and built in effects if you are using it just by itself then the people in your venue cant hear you, but if you mic it they will hear you fine.
feel free to add me
well that amp head is 200 i would need a cab with that soo. Id perfer a combo version.. but would a hardwire metal dist pedal work on that eipiphone valve standard?
Quote by wjhender
Check these out when you save enough money.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/1023487781.html
talk him down, I only paid 200 for mine

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/msg/1023483884.html
I here these are great and really easy to mod

Keep checking back every couple of days. You never know what you'll find. BTW the standard would be great for gigging. Its a little blusey for metal and thrash though. You would deffinately need a pedal for it like a metal muff or something.

the muff+ valve JR will be fine but a mic'ed vypyr will be better
feel free to add me
what if the venue doesnt have a pa system? how do u mic an amp? and will the viper be heard over the drummer at band practice?
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
the vibro champ cant do Nu Metal and Thrash metal.
the Vypyr 15 can be heard over a Drummer if you mic it to your pa system

...yes it can
do the metal voicing with like 6 gain,insta-thrash
nu-metal...pshh
i can play pantera,megadeth, and sabbath on it...it so goddamn versitle
plus if he has that pedal
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
It should, but the vypyr is also a good choice. The valve jr comes with the cab for 200 which is a pretty good deal. The cab has an eminence lady luck speaker which is decent. The nice thing about the jr though is there are 4,8 and 16 ohm outputs which, in the future if you want to, could hook it up to a big 4x12. Lots of room to grow with the valve jr, but if you need something quick the vypyr will do
Keep the Epi. Borrow an amp from someone until you can afford a decent amp. There are several decent amps in the $300 range that can handle jamming with drums. If you go solid state, and you're pretty much stuck with SS under $400, you have to get at least 50 watts to keep up with a drummer in practice. With a tube amp, you can probably get by with 30-40 watts.

Though it is solid state, the Peavey Bandit 112 is a nice 80 watt amp that is pretty bullet proof. Need proof? Peavey has barely altered the design in almost 40 years. I owned one "back in the day" and it was a great amp. Took abuse like it enjoyed it. Selling it was one of the worst gear decisions I made over the years. I used the cash to buy a tube amp but should have kept it anyway. At 45 lbs, it is not the lightest amp on the block but it is rock solid. A very good starter/back-up amp.
I got to put my two cents in here. Spider amps aren't bad. Everyone say the sound is bad and to digitalized. But in all reality its not. You just have to know how to adjust it. Heaven forbid you might have to tweak a couple things to get the sound you want. Depending of the model you have hundreds of presets but you can take and adjust each one of those to make you own sound. Plus you can get a pedal board made specifically for it and get rid of the need for other pedals. I agree you might want something different if you become a "professional musician" but for jamming with friends that amp kicks a$$!!!
no one has an amp to let me borrow which is gay.. im on my own with this but i will check out the vypyr or the valve jr. i am worried about mic ing the amp to a pa system because i have never done that before...
Get a vintage tube amp, I got a traynor handmade clone head for 200 CAN, 50w head, go check out traynor bassmaster on youtube, that'S basically how it works, and you can get your hands on a vintage cab also, I got a 4*10 for less than 150 $, sure you add up to 350, but that rig WILL outlast your sorry ass (sorry only appliable if you consider another option then go try the tubes for yourself).

Another option: sell your damn computer and get your act together.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Feb 8, 2009,
I was thinking a epiphone valve jr half stack with like a metal muff or hardwire metal distortion pedal what do yall think?
No...You'd need to mod the circuit, and I don't think you know how to do that.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.