I'm new to the forums although I've been using UG for a long time, and have looked around at rules and such but I'm still not sure if this belongs here so forgive me if it doesn't.

I was curious to see if anyone could offer advice or specifics on how to pinpoint the tone that Rise Against gets through the intro in "Prayer Of The Refugee", any help throughout the rest of the song is appreciated as well, but I can just wing it with a general "punk" sound for the chorus if need-be.

Opinions on Rise Against as a band or how generic their tone is, is not what I'm looking for.

My current setup is a Ibanez ART 100 run through a Digitech RP350 (if I need to use it anyway), and a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt amp.

Nothing particularly groundbreaking about the setup but whatever specifics anyone can give me about how to get Rise Against's tone on the song would be appreciated.
Well your first problem is you're running an Ibanez through a Spider III I can't think of a worse set up. but for the Rise Against tone check the official amp settings thread.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by VanTheKraut
Well your first problem is you're running an Ibanez through a Spider III I can't think of a worse set up. but for the Rise Against tone check the official amp settings thread.

Honestly I don't really know jack about why it's a bad setup, I got the guitar as a gift and already had the amp

I did find the Rise Against tone thread but there wasn't much in the way of help there. And the official amp settings thread didn't have anything about Rise Against or Prayer Of The Refugee
I'd try to get that tone with the middle position of the pickup switch on your ART, a little overdrive and the bass and mids on your amp rolled down a bit.

It sounds like a single coil guitar to me, so you'll have a hard time getting that tone on an ART.
Quote by TheQuailman
I'd try to get that tone with the middle position of the pickup switch on your ART, a little overdrive and the bass and mids on your amp rolled down a bit.

It sounds like a single coil guitar to me, so you'll have a hard time getting that tone on an ART.

Alright, I'll try that out. Were you thinking I should keep the treble around midpoint then with the bass and mids rolled back and distortion a bit over the midpoint? That's what I got from your suggestion anyways, since you didn't mention treble

Since you happened to check out the song, I'm not sure how far in you got, but that sort of 'driving punk' sound would be gotten from high treble, middle-low bass, middle-low mids, and high distortion too?

I'm more of a metal guy in general when it comes to guitar playing so I don't really know how to nail down this clean, sharp, cutting through punk sort of tone.
Quote by Medalofhonor82
Alright, I'll try that out. Were you thinking I should keep the treble around midpoint then with the bass and mids rolled back and distortion a bit over the midpoint? That's what I got from your suggestion anyways, since you didn't mention treble

I thought of a lot less distortion to be honest. I don't own a spider so I can only generalise here - but you'll need VERY little distortion for that. About the treble: Yes. The exact position of the pots might not be that important, just make sure to have more treble than bass and mids. You'll have to fiddle with the controls a little, I was just trying to give you a starting point.

Quote by Medalofhonor82

Since you happened to check out the song, I'm not sure how far in you got, but that sort of 'driving punk' sound would be gotten from high treble, middle-low bass, middle-low mids, and high distortion too?

Listened to the whole song. Good one by the way. I fear you'll need different settings for that. More distortion of course and more bass and mids. The guitarist has a pretty modern tone with plenty of bass, so you'll want to push that a bit. Nearly as much treble as bass, and less mids than treble. Not much less though, don't scoop the mids for that sound. You'll also want to use the bridge pickup.
A problem is that they probably used a totally different amp and guitar for recording the song, so exactly nailing the tone will be tough, if at all possible.

Quote by Medalofhonor82

I'm more of a metal guy in general when it comes to guitar playing so I don't really know how to nail down this clean, sharp, cutting through punk sort of tone.

When it comes to cutting through the mix, mids are essential. Don't scoop them! Don't use too much either, or you'll sound like The Darkness in the end and not like a punk rock band.

Sorry I can't be very specific about anything, but I don't own a spider so I can't just try these settings myself.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by TheQuailman
I thought of a lot less distortion to be honest. I don't own a spider so I can only generalise here - but you'll need VERY little distortion for that. About the treble: Yes. The exact position of the pots might not be that important, just make sure to have more treble than bass and mids. You'll have to fiddle with the controls a little, I was just trying to give you a starting point.

Listened to the whole song. Good one by the way. I fear you'll need different settings for that. More distortion of course and more bass and mids. The guitarist has a pretty modern tone with plenty of bass, so you'll want to push that a bit. Nearly as much treble as bass, and less mids than treble. Not much less though, don't scoop the mids for that sound. You'll also want to use the bridge pickup.
A problem is that they probably used a totally different amp and guitar for recording the song, so exactly nailing the tone will be tough, if at all possible.

When it comes to cutting through the mix, mids are essential. Don't scoop them! Don't use too much either, or you'll sound like The Darkness in the end and not like a punk rock band.

Sorry I can'T be very specific about anything, but I don't own a spider so I can't just try these settings myself.

I appreciate the answer back, I wasn't expecting anything nearly as quickly as I got it. Now I can get to practicing faster I'll try out the suggestions you gave me and see how they work for me, hopefully I can get relatively close to their sound.
Thanks again