ok this is a continue from the last thread.. anyway

Everyone suggested that I keep my Epiphone les paul and save 4 a new amp. or buy a peavey vypyr 15 and mic it

I am skeptical about the vypyr because at band practice i feel that 15 watts wont hold its own against a drummer...

But i stumbled on a Epiphone valve jr halfstack and a distortion pedal, will that get me a good slipknot sound/soad sound/metallica sound lamb of god etc.?

and also what guage or kind of strings best fit that tone..
your string gauge should be whatever feels best to you, depending on what tuning you play in. i dont think a 15 watt modeling amp would sound good in a band situation, and neither would a 5 watt tube amp, even with a distortion pedal.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
i heard the epi valve jr gets rlly loud tho since its in a stack form it can go to 16 ohms
Quote by Powerstrike
i heard the epi valve jr gets rlly loud tho since its in a stack form it can go to 16 ohms

4 ohms is louder than 16
the epi is a 5 watt amp, the Vypyr is 15
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Budget?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by ShredGod George
4 ohms is louder than 16
the epi is a 5 watt amp, the Vypyr is 15

yes but the epi is a tube and tubes are 3.5 times louder than solid state
the older you do get the more rules they're gonna try to get you to follow. You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N.

Quote by GibsonRocker14
you can use guitar strings to skin carrots....

wait.... wuttt???
The valve Jr is only 5 watts tube. It will most likely be louder and cleaner than the Vypyr 15 but it may not be loud enough to go head to head with a drummer. With the right effect in front of it, you should be able to get whatever sound you want.

Strings for Slipknot?
Mick Thompson uses 11-14-18-30-42-52 (D'Addario EXL116 XL) and 09-11-16-24-32-42 (D'Addario EXL120)
Jim Root uses 11-15-18-28-38-58
thanks for the string suggestions.. i have 100 bucks right now and i am savign up for like 300 bucks for an amp for a band and i dunno what to get now.. if the epi isnt loud enough then what about like a fender pro jr with a pedal?
I hihgly suggest you start researching amps and read all the related stickies on this forum, and save up a hell of a lot more. and also understand in the end you have to pick what is right for you and not base it on what some bands sound like
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
look used for a randall or something
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Wait for the Peavey 6505 112 combo amp, you'll need more money thought.
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by chimpinatux
I hihgly suggest you start researching amps and read all the related stickies on this forum, and save up a hell of a lot more. and also understand in the end you have to pick what is right for you and not base it on what some bands sound like

Agreed, also don't claim an idea is your own when you have no idea what you're talking about. Spend sometime, learn about amps (so you don't ask stupid questions), figure out what would suit you, then go get it. We gave you our suggestions. The valve jr is loud and can be miked (that act of putting a mike in front of an amp) the vypyr will be louder than any 15 watt ss but im pretty sure the jr will be louder than both, and if you're looking for an amp just so you can play loud a obnoxiously get the vypyr. If you want something that will grow with you and give you a range of options go with the jr or save up for something better.
Quote by maidenpriest69
yes but the epi is a tube and tubes are 3.5 times louder than solid state

No, no it's not.

Tube amps are "louder" because as they overdrive, they become more efficient, thus producing more energy (up to just under 50% more).

Therefore, a cranked tube amp will put out more power then a cranked transistor amp. However, at low volumes, they will be basically the same.
thanks for all of yalls help i jsut dont wanna **** up these decisions, i need a good sounding tube amp preferably 40 watts i think thats good enough 4 gigging? right?
Quote by MT in Austin
The valve Jr is only 5 watts tube. It will most likely be louder and cleaner than the Vypyr 15 but it may not be loud enough to go head to head with a drummer. With the right effect in front of it, you should be able to get whatever sound you want.

Strings for Slipknot?
Mick Thompson uses 11-14-18-30-42-52 (D'Addario EXL116 XL) and 09-11-16-24-32-42 (D'Addario EXL120)
Jim Root uses 11-15-18-28-38-58

Are you sure about Mick's gauges? I just don't see playing in Drop B with .11-.52. That's the same gauge I play in standard. The 6th string must be like a wet noodle.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
Are you sure about Mick's gauges? I just don't see playing in Drop B with .11-.52. That's the same gauge I play in standard. The 6th string must be like a wet noodle.

I'm pretty sure I've he used 52 or 56 as his string gauges. I use 46 for standard so I would imagine 52 r 56 would be alright for drop B. I've had mine set to standard D and it seemed fine, so a 52 would seem alot heavier to myself.
Quote by Necrophagist777

I play drop A with 11-50

I also play standard with 12-56 or 13-56, so whatever

Oh, and TS: If you're tight on dough, get an Ampeg VH140c combo, a Crate GX130c/GX-212, or a Randall RG80/RG100/RG120 combo.
Last edited by imgooley at Feb 8, 2009,
B-52 AT112 anybody?

It's a high gain tube amp that is somewhat in your budget. Give it a listen.

edit: if you're in the States, http://www.guitarcenter.com/B-52-AT-112-60-Watt-1x12--Tube-Combo-Amp-103733606-i1170731.gc
DEAD. AIR. SPACE.

Fender American Strat/Tele->Vox V847 Wah->EH LPB-1->BK Butler Tube Driver->Big Muff Pi->MXR Carbon Copy->EH Small Clone->Vox AC30/Orange Tiny Terror/Blues Deluxe RI
Last edited by djszkoda at Feb 8, 2009,
So you're joining a metal band, making the leap from bedroom hobbyist, and all you want to spend on an amp is $300?
Last edited by _Sanitarium_ at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by suffersystem
I'm pretty sure I've he used 52 or 56 as his string gauges. I use 46 for standard so I would imagine 52 r 56 would be alright for drop B. I've had mine set to standard D and it seemed fine, so a 52 would seem alot heavier to myself.

To each his own. I've played .11-52. in Drop C and it was practically unplayable to me.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
Quote by Necrophagist777
To each his own. I've played .11-52. in Drop C and it was practically unplayable to me.

Same. You need at least a 54 or 56 for a low C or B respectively. I'd prefer a 60 in B.
Quote by _Sanitarium_
So you're joining a metal band, making the leap from bedroom hobbyist, and all you want to spend on an amp is $300?

My thoughts exactly. Save up about $500 for a Randall or Peavey combo (used).
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Feb 8, 2009,
Quote by Shinozoku
Same. You need at least a 54 or 56 for a low C or B respectively. I'd prefer a 60 in B.

56 for C is good, and 60 for B is good. Gonna go with .11-56 for Drop C.....if I can find them lol.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra