Hey.

I need some tips. Just starting my first band with a few unexperienced also friends.
We have 2 guitars and possibly a bassist will be with us also.
When I played with a drummer only - there was no problem with the fact what who needs to play.
But when second guitar and (oh God!) also bassist came in - we just didn't knew exactly who shall play what - especially when a song cover that we try to do has only 1 guitar and bass in it.
As I said, I need tips, hints etc. on how to split song parts between more people.
Oh and, we mostly do RHCP covers and go into Funky-style music.

Cheers
Poor polish guitar player.
Last edited by Azuro at Feb 8, 2009,
Until you gain a bit of experience, try to stick with material written for your line-up. Especially work with the other guitarist, as often as you can and you should find what each of you can do and is best at. Then working with bass becomes much easier. Are you using some kind of drum sequencer?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Until you gain a bit of experience, try to stick with material written for your line-up. Especially work with the other guitarist, as often as you can and you should find what each of you can do and is best at. Then working with bass becomes much easier. Are you using some kind of drum sequencer?

Nope, we have a drummer also.
Poor polish guitar player.
IMO if you are a two guitar band, you should be playing primarily songs with two guitar parts. Otherwise, the second guy is absolutely worthless. Because funk rarely needs 2 guitars (hell, you'd be better off with 2 basses), I'd either consider changing your style or lineup
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
Knowing what to play comes with time, experience, but mostly communication. Talk to your fellow guitarist and work out things together.

If either of you are singing that could also help things out.