what are some guitars on the bright side of things? what are the typical woods to look for? what would be some good suggestions for a budget of about 1500 (maybe 500-2000)?
American Telecaster
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
Quote by LPDave
American Telecaster

Acoustic Guitar Forum, buddy.

Anyway... Taylors are pretty bright from my experience.
Taylors are very bright.

I wouldn't worry so much about brightness. You can easily make anything bright with a set of elixirs. Strings play THAT big of a role.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
ya i feel the same way with strings and i have elixers and some d'adarios that i havent tried yet. i just need a nice guitar to use them with. but the guitar can help im sure.

are there certain woods i should look for? ive also heard taylors are bright. how about seagulls, takamines or yairi's?

the seagull s6 caught my eye with its nice price tag. as well as a couple yairi's between 1000-1500. are the masterworks series that much better than say the dy40? is a 1000-1500 taylor typically better all-around compared to a yairi in the same range? and how about koa guitars (back, front, sides)?

i understand a lot of it is to go play them yourself and judge on your own, but i have no shops in my town and rarely get to go the the next town and have yet to see what they have in stock, but they dont have a whole lot. i like to gain some knowledge for now anyways.
Maple is a bright sounding wood. The Gibson & Epi Doves have maple back & sides.
Maple is very bright.

My Mom's guitar had a maple top & sides. Unfortunately, she gave it away to a friend of hers about 2 months before I decided I wanted to learn guitar myself.

The only guitar I've ever heard that was brighter is the Ovation I currently own.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
spruce tops in general are bright and tend to mellow out over the years
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
i hear german spruce specifically are brighter than sitka spruce which i think might be the more common spruce top. does anyone know any guitars that use german spruce?
Quote by theWallofYAWN
i hear german spruce specifically are brighter than sitka spruce which i think might be the more common spruce top. does anyone know any guitars that use german spruce?

Mainly high end guitars, if I'm not mistaken. Blueridge offers Adirondack though. The "A" at the end of the code connotates Adirondack spruce top.(e.g. BR-40A... I just made that up, lol)

Spruces that grow in higher altitudes like Adirondack(from the American North East) and Alpine spruces(such as the German spruce) tend to be brighter. This is because trees that grow in higher altitudes have much shorter rings due to shorter growing periods. The closeness of these rings tends to make for a brighter sounding top that can take higher volume/intensity before maxing out the tone.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.